Hotels by Fajardo Biobay precruise

5MNtravelbugs

We would love to see the Fajardo Bay in puerto Rico the day before our cruise. We will get there early in the day and wondering if we should book a hotel by Fajardo or old San Juan. How much would a taxi be from Fajardo to the pier? Or are there closer bio bays to old san juan?

A rental car might be better (cheaper) than a taxi, since Fajardo is at the very northeastern end of PR. Bring proof of insurance via credit card since some rentals try to scam that extra charge. Maybe the best way to get to and enjoy the Biobay is via an excursion that provides transportation. Try to schedule during the new moon phase, since moonlight will detract from the light emanations. Last time I went, I was allowed to swim, I've heard that's not permitted anymore?

There might be another Biobay south of San Juan in Ponce, but I did not experience that one.

We stayed at the El Con resort in Fajardo for four days post cruise last year. I have a detailed review of it in my signature, but here's a brief synopsis...

El Conquistador was great! Got it on Priceline for $100 a night, asked at the counter during check in if we could be down by the marina instead of up in the top building, and she put us in two rooms overlooking the marina. Really nice. We did rent a car, since we were there for four days, and that worked out really well. Drive from San Juan to Fajardo is about 45 minutes, but the marina where the biobay excursion leaves from is a little farther, maybe 15 minutes? The biobay was worth every penny, and I have lots of details about it in my review. We did the only one where you can swim with them, and I highly recommend it. Late night, but something I would do again in a heartbeat. The website is east wind cats dot com, no spaces. There is a kayak version out of Fajardo, but my understanding is that the biobay on Vieques is the only place in the world that you can swim with them. So worth it. If you stay at El Con, go to La Estacion for dinner. We went twice, it was so good.

Another vote for El Conquistador. We've stayed there several times and it's truly like Paradise. The resort is built on a cliff overlooking the ocean and it's own private island (accessible by one of their complimentary catamarans). If you wish to splurge, stay at Las Casitas (part of El Conquiatador).

The only drawback about staying there is that you may not want to leave to go on your cruise! ;)

Archived