Beach excursion, which location?

Ramrac

So my family and I are going to Key West, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman next October and have been hearing really bad things about the beaches at Grand Cayman saying they are all rocky. I'm really disappointed in hearing this as this was my favorite island because of the beaches being so beautiful with soft sand and calm water. We have already picked which excursions we wanted to go to and chose Seven Miles Beach for Cayman Islands, as we wanted just one day at the beach. Any suggestion as to what port we should do our beach excursion or if we should do a private tour at Cayman and if so what beach should we go to?

7-mile beach is beautiful. Sand, not rocks. When we visited on the Conquest, we just took a cab to the beach. The whole day cost us $50, which included the cab each way and lunch for four. It was probably the best day of the seven-day cruise because the beach was so nice.

In Jamaica we took one of the excursions to a beach resort. It was over-priced, but we'd read a lot about dodgy things happening in Jamaica, so we took a break from our usual do-it-yourself approach and paid for the Carnival excursion.

7-mile beach is beautiful. Sand, not rocks. When we visited on the Conquest, we just took a cab to the beach. The whole day cost us $50, which included the cab each way and lunch for four. It was probably the best day of the seven-day cruise because the beach was so nice.

In Jamaica we took one of the excursions to a beach resort. It was over-priced, but we'd read a lot about dodgy things happening in Jamaica, so we took a break from our usual do-it-yourself approach and paid for the Carnival excursion.

How long ago did you go to Grand Cayman? I went several years ago and it was beautiful, I heard it's changed since then. Do you know how far down the beach you went, such as did you go where they took the Carnival excursion guests? Was it crowded?

Thanks!

I will be going on the same itinerary as you next January. As previously stated there is not a nice beach in Key West(been there many times). From what I have seen Grand Cayman wold be the best beach to relax on or Margeritaville if you choose to go to a Jamaican beach. We will be snorkeling at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. The beach there is rocky, but is only two blocks from the cruise terminal area. It looks like Seven Mile Beach is covered in powdery white sand, at least according to Frommers. Have a great cruise.

I don't recall rocky beaches in GC?? Then again we did an AWESOME tour with nativeways watersports - Rays, Reef and Rumpoint (beach) which includes a 'visit' to Stingray city, some snorkelling and then some beach time (including lunch) at Rumpoint! GORGEOUS!

2543269210059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2962379000059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

I don't recall rocky beaches in GC?? Then again we did an AWESOME tour with nativeways watersports - Rays, Reef and Rumpoint (beach) which includes a 'visit' to Stingray city, some snorkelling and then some beach time (including lunch) at Rumpoint! GORGEOUS!

2543269210059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

2962379000059010061S600x600Q85.jpg

I just want to jump in! Thanks for the pictures!

How long ago did you go to Grand Cayman? I went several years ago and it was beautiful, I heard it's changed since then. Do you know how far down the beach you went, such as did you go where they took the Carnival excursion guests? Was it crowded?

Thanks!

It was spring break '09. I don't remember the location for sure, but after scouring google maps, I think we parked ourselves on the beach in front of the Reef Grill (beach-type outdoor restaurant), which I take it is part of the Royal Palms. There was a parking lot full of taxis and there were public restrooms off the parking lot, so it was easy to change. It looks like it was about 2 miles north of the pier. I think we ended up insisting the cab driver take our $20 bill even though he was only charging something like $3 per person (family of four). He looked at us like we were nuts.

We just lounged on the beach, had burgers (or something) and beer at the grill for lunch and then caught a quick cab back later in the afternoon, but we really could have walked the two miles in, what 30 minutes at a quick march if we'd had to. It was fun to lie on the beach and watch our ship docked in the distance.

It was spring break '09. I don't remember the location for sure, but after scouring google maps, I think we parked ourselves on the beach in front of the Reef Grill (beach-type outdoor restaurant), which I take it is part of the Royal Palms. There was a parking lot full of taxis and there were public restrooms off the parking lot, so it was easy to change. It looks like it was about 2 miles north of the pier. I think we ended up insisting the cab driver take our $20 bill even though he was only charging something like $3 per person (family of four). He looked at us like we were nuts.

We just lounged on the beach, had burgers (or something) and beer at the grill for lunch and then caught a quick cab back later in the afternoon, but we really could have walked the two miles in, what 30 minutes at a quick march if we'd had to. It was fun to lie on the beach and watch our ship docked in the distance.

Thanks for the info! Looks like we are going to try the Royal Palms. Grand Cayman is my favorite port because of the beaches, but with everyone telling me it is now rocky I was worried. So glad they still have nice beaches in certain areas.

Thanks for the info! Looks like we are going to try the Royal Palms. Grand Cayman is my favorite port because of the beaches, but with everyone telling me it is now rocky I was worried. So glad they still have nice beaches in certain areas.

They may have gone to other beaches. I have been checking out many of the snorkeling spots in Grand Cayman. Some areas have rock walls with ladders to the water, but they are just for diving. The pictures I see of the beaches are incredible. So, if you are looking you want a pretty white beach I think Seven Mile Beach will be excellent.

They may have gone to other beaches. I have been checking out many of the snorkeling spots in Grand Cayman. Some areas have rock walls with ladders to the water, but they are just for diving. The pictures I see of the beaches are incredible. So, if you are looking you want a pretty white beach I think Seven Mile Beach will be excellent.

My parents just came back from Grand Cayman the week before last and went to Seven Mile Beach. They said the part they were taken to, with the Carnival excursion, you could only go out to knee deep water. When you tried to go out further it was very rocky and hurt your feet.

If you are going to go snorkeling, Edens Rock/Devils Grotto. FANTASTIC!! Easy walk from the tender dock in GC, cheap (in fact free if you bring your own gear) can't recomend it enough.

If you are going to go snorkeling, Edens Rock/Devils Grotto. FANTASTIC!! Easy walk from the tender dock in GC, cheap (in fact free if you bring your own gear) can't recomend it enough.

We plan on buying our on snorkels anyway, I never know if the rentals are sanitized or not. All together gear and locker rental is around $30 for two adults. Carnival charges $40 per person for the same trip.

Archived