?? about scuba in Bahamas

susanNjay

susanNjay

The Bahamas has 29 islands, 661 cays, and 2,387 islets. So the diving is quite variable within the Bahamas themselves.

We have been to New Providence Island (Nassau) and the diving was nowhere near as good as Coz or Belize.

The Stuart Cove's shark encounter was good but if thats not your thing I would try one of the other islands.

Perhaps someone else can add info about the other islands.:D

Susan

We used Stuart Cove's for a week's worth of diving. Their sites are mostly on the west side of the island. Not a lot of healthy coral. Lots of lionfish. And a couple of days with some very poor divers. But we still had a great time and found plenty to look at. Just don't expect Coz or Belize & you won't be disappointed.

Have fun:D

Kilroy .... you stole my thunder! I was going to reply similarly. In the 100,000 square miles that make up the Bahamas I've experienced some fantastic diving. Unfortunately it was not near Freeport or Nassau. Bimini, Cay Sal Bank, Green Turtle Cay, Great Inagua . . . sites that see far fewer divers . . .

That said, I've seen pretty mediocre stuff in Belize and Coz and Cayman for that matter. As in real estate it is about location location location, altho even WITH location conditions can make the same site great one day and below average the next. I think one gains a different perspective on dive sites when they dive the same site over and over and over. Yes, it needs to be a decent site to begin with but after a while I stopped trying to cover a mile of reef every dive and turned to sitting in my quiet spot and seeing what came to check ME out - especially on a night dive you gain a whole new perspective by which to measure a great dive. Over the course of several week long jaunts to Grand C and Sunset House I expored different places by boat every morning, but most afternnons found me just off their sea wall, or at night and sometimes both. The dives didn't get boring, they got better. When I lived less than an hour from Pennecamp Park, I dove Mollasses and Benwood often twice a month and the same thing happened. I learned the places to look that would be overlooked by the first time visitor. Sometimes I could get their attention and point out things they would have quickly missed otherwise. My two cents anyway.

But I digress - today - what you really need to do if you want a great site is find the one few people are going to . . . . over diving is a very big problem today and the stress is compounding the problems the corals already have.

Archived