Glory to Bermuda 10/16/11 Review

NCTribeFan

Saturday, 10/21/11 – disembarkation and home – I had put my larger case out last night since I wasn’t in a big hurry to disembark. VIPs had the option of meeting in the Golden dining room on Deck 3 at 7:30 if they wanted self-assist, or 8:30 for regular (we all get #1 luggage tags), so I was in that second group.

2308318570102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

I got my omelet and told my chef I’d miss him. People around me looked at me like I had two heads. I got a 2nd cup of tea and took it back to the cabin to pack up the last few things, then headed up to Deck 3. Oh, and I left a $20 in the cabin for Jo, my cabin steward. The only special request I had for him was the first day when I asked for one of the plastic bucket-of-beer buckets to keep my wine and water chilled. But he was so pleasant; always smiling.

Self-assist didn’t even begin until about 8:30. So, once again, insisting to people with early flights that all they have to do is self-assist and they’ll have plenty of time need to realize that just because everything USUALLY goes smoothly, it often doesn’t. Plus, they called self-assist by deck, so if you were on Main, you were the last ones called. We sat there for quite a while (with me trying to read and people on both sides of me bellowing across the table at each other talking about nothing – loudly). I don’t know what time we finally disembarked. Since I just had my rolling duffle and carry-on, I took the escalator down. Once out (the sun was bright but the wind was chilly, again), I called the hotel for the shuttle. It had just picked someone up (probably my roll call friends since I saw they waiting to be called for self-assist). I found a seat and watched the traffic. The terminal is in downtown, and there isn’t a lot of space for the traffic, so if your party is standing there by the curb, you don’t stop. There are taxis there waiting, too, which complicate things even more. The big buses that go to the parking lot are off to the left side, so they are out of the way. I probably waiting 15 or 20 minutes and enjoyed watching the police direct the traffic. We were back to the hotel quickly, and I was on my way by 10 and home at about 1:45 after a gas and lunch break.

Other Thoughts…

Food – Overall, I thought the food was good. Some of my favorites are gone, but I discovered some new ones. Although the menu has been changed slightly, there are still nights when there were multiple appetizers and entrees I would like to have, and other nights when none of them particularly appeal to me, but that’s a personal thing. I don’t eat the pizza (tried several times on different ships and never liked it); only had deli once (on ships without F&C, I would have a deli sandwich probably every day for lunch); I didn’t order room service at all.

The sushi was better than on any other cruise. I don’t drink the fruity frozen things, so can’t comment on them. I didn’t buy anything at the coffee shop. I really liked the Thirsty Frog beer.

Entertainment – I don’t go to shows; just not a fan of the revue type shows. Didn’t get into the comedy show the one time I tried. I avoid Karaoke. I don’t play bingo. I hated the CD after about two hours on board. Since I don’t “do” the activities, I don’t care what sort of entertainer the CD thinks he is – I wan’t him to stop badgering me to have FUN, FUN, FUN (when he really means SPEND, SPEND, SPEND). Alison, the pianist, was quite good. I avoid the lido pool area, but what little I heard of the music, it seemed to be a little better than most of those “island bands” which are usually awful, imho). I stuck my head in the piano bar on the first night, and Tom seemed to at least have a decent voice, unlike several I’ve heard in the past. I don’t do piano bars because I tend to detest the song selections. I’m picky about music. Most of the “oldies” that everyone seems to love, I feel are just crap. Again, imho. Prime Duo was pretty good. I don’t know who Paul was, but if he was the little guy with the guitar who had the terrible voice, I recommend you avoid him if at all possible. Highlights, the Filipino band, wasn’t bad. Latin Beat was, by far, the best musical entertainment. I just don’t know how people can hear Latin music and not just want to jump up and dance. I swear I’m going to learn Spanish, take some Latin dance classes and move to San Juan some day!

The Staff and Crew – I thought they were great, for the most part. That morning that I was up so early, I passed a little guy polishing the hand rail and he smiled and asked if I had slept well. I make it a point to smile and say Good Morning or Good Afternoon or Good Evening to every crew member I encounter. Every one of them. They really seem to appreciate that. I suppose that’s because TOO MANY of the passengers ignore them and/or treat them like they’re lowly servants and unworthy of their attention, unless it’s to yell at them about something. I really could’ve done without the CD blathering at us multiple times daily.

The Ship – I like the ship. She didn’t look a day older than when I sailed her in May of 2008. Still, there are just too many people for my tastes. I wish the Serenity area had been more serene, because it really is a nice addition. I don’t get in ship pools very often, but meant to pay a visit to the pool and hot tub in the gym and just didn’t.

The Itinerary – I like sailing from Norfolk. Bermuda was beautiful, but as noted, just not really my kind of place. It wasn’t English enough or tropical enough for me. I’d like to return, but it isn’t moving to the top of my “need to see again” places.

The Passengers – It was a different crowd. There were lots more scooters and wheelchairs than I’m used to seeing on Carnival. There were a lot of first-time Carnival cruisers (lots and lots of blue S&S cards). Not many kids because of the time of year. Many more African-Americans than I’ve seen in the past, which I think is a good thing; I like it when the passenger mix is diverse.

SUMMARY – I had a very nice time. It was very relaxing. I wondered how I would feel about returning to Carnival after my fantastic 2-week Hawaii cruise on HAL. No problems. Embarkation and disembarkation both went relatively smoothly, but there’s always room for improvement.

It wasn’t exactly what I had hoped for but I still had a wonderful, relaxing cruise. No cruise is perfect, but I don’t expect perfection. I want to be well fed, well cared for, be able to relax, and have plenty to do if that’s what I choose.

I just don’t know if I’ll continue to sail Carnival, simply because of their discontinuance of the solo discount.

Thanks for reading!

Link to my Webshots album...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/581632442cDyECS

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I know I get into the details and forget a bunch of things that actually happened.

Jane - wish you could've been there with us!

Was reading Phzzz's review - seems very different from mine. Just goes to show that people have different experiences on the same cruise.

I sailed solo and wanted peace and quiet - they were celebrating an anniversary and did a lot more activities. I think we all enjoyed ourselves, for the most part.

I imagine there are people who think that if peace and quiet are what I want, that I should rent a cottage on a deserted beach - but I also like the food, meeting new people, and getting to interesting new places that you get on a cruise. And I can't afford to get a balcony cabin by myself, so I have to use the public spaces.

Anyway, it was really good and I did get a lot of R&R, despite my difficulties avoiding the noise polution!

Found myself searching for per-holiday cruises to see if there was any I could maybe afford before next tax season! :p

There is something comforting about always having a cruise booked. LOL

I'm sure you will find something that strikes your fancy. It is interesting to read the various reviews. As a hearing aid wearer, I share the challenge sometimes with noise pollution. I guess the best thing is that I can take them out or turn them off when it is too loud. Even then, though, some of the music goes overboard. (no pun intended.) In the next twenty years, the demand for hearing aids is bound to skyrocket ! No one needs all to the decibles that some musicans use.

On the Legend and the Miracle, I loved that little hidden away area on Deck 3, The Enchanted Forest and Gatsby's Garden. They were perfect for reading and relaxing if you don't mind not being outside.

Keep us posted on your next venture !

I'm already having some hearing problems, thanks to my teenage years of going to see bands and standing in front of the PAs staring at the hot musicians. :o

I know I need to stop spending money, but it really does help me get through tax season to have a spring cruise booked. That's why, for a few years, we went in May and December as soon as DD was done with finals.

If I could only talk someone into going with me on a shorter cruise. I'd be perfectly willing to drive to Charleston or Jacksonville. But I even checked air to FLL for a cruise I saw 12/17-12/24, and it was only a little over $200. You can hardly drive for that price and can do it in a fraction of the time.

We'll see. I have some things I need to do to the house though. Sigh. I can't imagine what it must be like to not have to decide between the two!

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the time change, I wasn’t hungry until about 12:30. I stopped and got my Thirsty Frog and headed up to the Fish and Chips. I was informed that they weren’t open yet. What do you mean, you aren’t open? It’s 12:45! We’re not open yet. But, I don’t understand! The guy finally looked at me and said very slowly, because I obviously had problems with my comprehension – TEN MINUTES!! It was then that it hit me that I had read the Fun Times for TODAY which said to set your watch forward TONIGHT. Doh! I wonder when I would’ve realized that I was an hour ahead of everyone if I hadn’t gone there for lunch! I could see me lining up at the dining room at 7:10 for my 8:15 seating. Whoops!

2526225370102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Seems to me you've had this problem before, wasn't it in St Thomas?:p

And no more Roast Beef and Brie sandwiches from room service?:confused: Really, that is like everyone's favorite item. Guess it went the same place the shrimp cocktail did.

Glad you got some chick dancing in at least.

And from what I saw, looks like you didn't live up to your promise to not sail on Carnival.:p

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Why thank you. I didn't realize this had been revived!

Wendy, I blame that time in St Thomas on using my cell phone as my alarm clock! This time, it was just me not paying attention. I did consume rather a lot of adult beverages on this cruse! :o

One hazard of sailing solo - no one to be a moderating influence! :p

• 3 years later...

Yes, this thread is almost four years old.

But since Carnival has a few cruises going to Bermuda (I'm returning on Splendor on 10/23), I've referred a few people to this review thread.

The photos were no longer showing since Webshot made changes, so I've spent this morning hunting down my pictures that I'd saved to a CD, and uploading them to Flickr in a new album.

And, to be honest, I like to go back and re-read my own threads when I'm again sailing a ship I've been on or returning to ports I've already visited. Obviously, despite what I've been saying ever since my HAL Hawaii cruise, I'm still sailing Carnival. And I'm still saying I'm probably done soon, but now it's once I hit Milestone (#24 will be Sunshine).

Don't worry! I'll post another review once we return from Bermuda. I moved from 2217 to room with a Roll Call buddy in a spa balcony, so this time I'll have somewhere to escape the noise pollution. ;)