Art Auctions

Doughboy

Does RCCL still have art auctions? I haven't seen anything mentioned on the boards. We always enjoyed sitting back with a glass of champagne and hearing about the beautiful art work. Have to admit, we have been known to buy also. In fact, we just had two framed last month.

Art Actually has replaced Park West on some of Royal's ships. I know they were doing the art auctions on Navigator, Oasis and Allure but I don't know about the other ships. Also, Adam Goldstein indicated dissatisfaction with the auctions on Allure (or maybe it was Oasis, don't remember) so I'm not even sure what the status is there.

Happy to report that the art auction was back and well attended on our Sept 15 Explorer cruise. Park West is no longer involved, so the core artists were different, but the replacement company seems to be following the same template, including free champagne. There were 3 sessions on our 9 day cruise, all held in Maharajah lounge so no noise or bother to anyone not attending.

The auctions were alive a well attended in August. As long as there are "plastic card" carring passengers on ships there will be a company offering art for a fee at sea. Some people love them, like hearing about the artist and even bidding, others hate the entire concept and stay clear of the area. (Just like some love Bingo and others hate it). That is why the cruise lines offer so many options, so we each have something to enjoy. I think a lot of the lines are leaving Park West, too many complaints.

It sounds like a lot of people on this post were not Art Auction Fans. My wife and I were loyal Park West customers and when we did B2B Cruises earlier this year and found that Art Actually had replaced Park West we thought we'd give them a chance. "BIG MISTAKE" hated the art they pushed the "Olive" artist so much about 1/2 the art put up was his we couldn't stand it. They did occationally put up a Peter Max which was nice to see, however they do not have their own CC which was nice with PW since we could buy and make payments interest free for 12 months. I wasn't about to put a $6K purchase on a personal CC and have to pay it off in 1 month to avoid interest. It was the first cruise in 5 years we didn't purchase a single piece of art. We are B2B this January and if Art Actually is on the Mariner out of Galveston I guess we'll have a lot of extra time since we will not be attending any Art Auctions.

Happy to report that the art auction was back and well attended on our Sept 15 Explorer cruise. Park West is no longer involved, so the core artists were different, but the replacement company seems to be following the same template, including free champagne. There were 3 sessions on our 9 day cruise, all held in Maharajah lounge so no noise or bother to anyone not attending.

.....Wooppieeee!!!!!......free cheap sparkling wine.....and another thing for the "know-it-alls" to complain about......

Fortunately they have not returned to Jewel of the Seas where they used to be held in the Centrum and proved to be noisy, distracting and a general annoyance to anyone within earshot on any of the decks overlooking the Centrum. I have no real objection to them if they are held in a location that doesn't interfere with the traffic flow or with a restful atmosphere in the more public areas, but considering the legal problems and charges of malfeasance on the part of Park West, I believe that RCI, and other cruise lines which have severed their relationship with the company, are well rid of them.:)

Fortunately they have not returned to Jewel of the Seas where they used to be held in the Centrum and proved to be noisy, distracting and a general annoyance to anyone within earshot on any of the decks overlooking the Centrum. I have no real objection to them if they are held in a location that doesn't interfere with the traffic flow or with a restful atmosphere in the more public areas, but considering the legal problems and charges of malfeasance on the part of Park West, I believe that RCI, and other cruise lines which have severed their relationship with the company, are well rid of them.:)

I'll second this post ! (Hi, Bill). I am glad the art auctions are gone or at least taking place in a separate lounge. :D

We could care less about the art ... never bought any on board, nor would we every buy any on board. The one -- the only -- reason we would go would be for the free champagne, the operative words being "Free" and "Champagne".

Michael and Silke

Well said, couldn't agree more.:eek:

I didn't have a good experience with Park West so I'm glad to hear another company is being used.

I have a friend that is the estate business and when he does a sale, his clients always think the stuff they purchased on a ship was worth a lot. However it never sales for what they think it is worth, not even close.

If you like the picture but it to enjoy but think twice if you think it will increase in value. (not saying it can't happen, just it isn't the norm)

Don't care much aboutthem either way - not what I cruise for but obviously some people like them. But biggest issue has been when they take over Viking Crown Lounge on sea days. That's a really pleasant area to sit and read and gaze at the water that is totally ruined for the whole day as they set up all the pictures. Using conference center would make a lot more sense.

Art Auction on Adventure in April 2011.

Art Auction NOT on Jewel in October 2011.

The AA on Adventure was pretty pathetic. Not much variety, but I did like the guy who was doing it. Free champagne is always nice though, even if it is cheap ;):D.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I have purchased several pieces of art while on board. We enjoy looking at our paintings every day. There is something for everyone to do on these ships, why do so many people have to be haters. If you didn't like the auctions, then don't go and let those of us who do enjoy them, have a good time. I don't like playing bingo, but I would not want the cruise line to eliminate the games because I find them annoying...

Relax and have a good time! Please....

So I take it that all of the "special sales" that often block the middle of the promenade are a problem as well? Should we get rid of those too?

As a matter of fact, if you sail during Christmas, there is this giant tree that blocks the entire aft portion of the promenade and it really makes it hard to get around. Hmm....maybe that should go too.....

So I take it that all of the "special sales" that often block the middle of the promenade are a problem as well? Should we get rid of those too?

As a matter of fact, if you sail during Christmas, there is this giant tree that blocks the entire aft portion of the promenade and it really makes it hard to get around. Hmm....maybe that should go too.....

Some people would probably agree with you about the "sales merchandise" though not the Christmas tree, but I doubt many mind the elimination or restriction of the "artwork" to a remote area on the ship. Elimination of the "art auctions" in the Centrum of the Jewel of the Seas made our last two sailings on her far more enjoyable. They still held auctions but they were not as intrusive as they were previously and it was quite easy to avoid them.:)

Just got back from Jewel and they did have a art auction. We decided to look before at that artwork before it started and asked the price of a piece for curiosity. He then proceeded to thank us and said it would be his first piece sold and he would put our names on it. Um noo, don't think so. Went to go play Bingo and never came back.

Archived