Using my Laptop on Azura

nelderwoman

There is wifi on Azura but there may be black spots around the ship. The pay as you go rate is 50p/min and there is an activation charge of £2.50. You can buy packages which bring the cost down a little. Note that the speed is very slow so you need alot of time. Better to find an internet cafe ashore.

Brian

There is wifi on Azura but there may be black spots around the ship. The pay as you go rate is 50p/min and there is an activation charge of £2.50. You can buy packages which bring the cost down a little. Note that the speed is very slow so you need alot of time. Better to find an internet cafe ashore.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Following on from that, has anyone ever used an internet dongle with a laptop on a cruise, and is it possible to get a signal at sea. I ask because I have a PAYG dongle with T-Mobile that I use when I holiday in the UK, and they tell me that I can buy "Euro Boosters" which would cost me £5 per week to access the Internet in Europe. This is way below what P&O charge,just wondered if anyone had ever used this method?

I normally prebook internet. You get 250mins for £62.50 plus an extra 30min for prebooking. So 280min about 22p a min i think. It is slower than home, but it is ok for surfing,emails etc

Didn't someone say that they'd recently changed, or are changing, to a 'per megabyte' charge? If so, I don't know what the prices are.

Following on from that, has anyone ever used an internet dongle with a laptop on a cruise, and is it possible to get a signal at sea. I ask because I have a PAYG dongle with T-Mobile that I use when I holiday in the UK, and they tell me that I can buy "Euro Boosters" which would cost me £5 per week to access the Internet in Europe. This is way below what P&O charge,just wondered if anyone had ever used this method?

I don't think a dongle will work while at sea, will it? By definition you're not in line of sight of a transmitter.

hi nelderwoman i was on azura a couple of weeks ago and used the internet wifi for my phone and found no real problem with signal strength.

i was told that the download speed is only 2mb so is not as good as at home.i paid for the top package and it cost me £95.00 for 250 mb of download.if you are just using it for emails and not picture downloads or skype video calls you should be fine.hope this helps.. humpy.

I don't think a dongle will work while at sea, will it? By definition you're not in line of sight of a transmitter.

It's not really a problem as we only have three days at sea on this cruise.

Would be extremely wary of using a dongle as the roaming charges will wipe out any credit you have in a heartbeat.

I have always found the service on board far too slow so I wait until we are berthed and search for a wifi hotspot.

Have often found a network whilst in my cabin.

My emails all come through to my smartphone and havent had a nightmare bill when I come home.

Lesstax

Didn't someone say that they'd recently changed, or are changing, to a 'per megabyte' charge? If so, I don't know what the prices are.

We were aboard Azura at the end of September and they were trialling a new system which was based on amount of data rather than minutes used. I thought the system was even worse and they were getting lots of negative feedback. We will find hotspots ashore when we're on Azura again in September next year rather than be subjected to that again.

Would be extremely wary of using a dongle as the roaming charges will wipe out any credit you have in a heartbeat.

I have always found the service on board far too slow so I wait until we are berthed and search for a wifi hotspot.

Have often found a network whilst in my cabin.

My emails all come through to my smartphone and havent had a nightmare bill when I come home.

Lesstax

Roaming charges are not going to be a problem, as I have topped up my PAYG dongle, and T-Moble offer "Euro Boosters" at a set charge per day, week or month which I connect to when I log in. Just have to make sure my wireless connection is off!

That's right.:) My cruise is with P&O and is wholly within Europe. When we cruise in the Caribbean with Princess, it doesn't matter as we use the 250 minutes (each) of free internet time which is an Elite benefit:D

Archived