Do not use Princess transfers to JFK!

montu6

We just returned from our cruise on the Caribean Princess. The return was mared by the bus transfer to JFK airport. The bus driver refused to drive to the Delta entrance, telling us that we needed to climb the hill dragging all of our luggage from the road below. We found this to be very difficult with 2 large bags, 2 carryons, 1 CPAP medical bag and a large purse. Anyone who was old or infirm would likewise have difficulty. Other Princess buses of the same size did deliver their load to the door of Delta. Had we had any idea that this would be the service we would have chosen to use a taxi, which was readily available, instead. A word to the wise... Do Not use Princess transfer unless you are in very good condition and can hike uphill with all of your luggage without any assistance!

If other Princess buses delivered their passengers and luggage to the door, I would say you had a bad driver and that it's not a blanket problem with all Princess transfers to JFK. If you have the bus driver's name or bus number, I would definitely report him to Princess.

By your own description, this was one bus driver/bus not all Princess transfers, so this is a very misleading and somewhat vindictive post.

You should contact Princess directly and identify the driver/bus if possible so that they can investigate and perhaps remove him/it from their available buses.

If EVERY Princess bus did this, your admonition might be accurate, but one bad apple in this case does not spoil the bunch.

We just returned from our cruise on the Caribean Princess. The return was mared by the bus transfer to JFK airport. The bus driver refused to drive to the Delta entrance, telling us that we needed to climb the hill dragging all of our luggage from the road below. We found this to be very difficult with 2 large bags, 2 carryons, 1 CPAP medical bag and a large purse. Anyone who was old or infirm would likewise have difficulty. Other Princess buses of the same size did deliver their load to the door of Delta. Had we had any idea that this would be the service we would have chosen to use a taxi, which was readily available, instead. A word to the wise... Do Not use Princess transfer unless you are in very good condition and can hike uphill with all of your luggage without any assistance!

In September, after getting off the Crown, we took the Princess transportation to JFK. We were the last dropoff, he stopped at every terminal for the passengers. There was one terminal that he said he wasn't allowed to drive up to the entrance and told the passengers. I think it was Delta.They were dropped off at the curb near steps.

For us, on American, right to the entrance.

Loved the drive to the airport, went through my old neighborhood.

Bus driver was really funny and made for a nice ride.

We returned from our 20th Princess cruise this month, also on the CB. We had not used Princess transfers in many years and were very impressed. We arrived early at LGA (9 am) and had no trouble finding the bus representatives who were pleasant and informative. I had visions that we would be waiting at the airport for hours until mid afternoon to go to the ship. We actually left the airport at 10:15 am and were at the ship terminal at 11 am. We boarded the ship at 11:45! It was a smooth operation.

Returning, we went through JFK. From the ship, we were directed all along the way to the appropriate bus. We were at JFK in about 50 minutes and let off first at the UAL terminal. Again, very smooth.

The price for transfers is competitive with other modes of transportation. We would definitely go with Princess transfers again. It was convenient, hassle free, and I don’t think that we could have gotten to our destinations any quicker.

Judith

Vindictive.??? interesting! While we were being dropped off and dragging our luggage up the hill, two other buses arrived. One dropped off where our bus did, the other at the entrance. Jet Blue was dropped off at the check in. My husband and another gentleman questioned the driver and were not satirfied with the response.And yes I did make comments about this issue to Princess.

It was difficult for us and I'm sure extremely difficult for any one who was elderly or had any other mobility problems.

This is a forum to exchange information. I wish someone had told us that we would have to walk up a hill to Delta dragging all of our luggage. We would have made other arrangements such as a taxi or car service. It is only by voicing concerns that others can learn and make choices that are right for them. This was not the right choice for us!

If it worked for you to Delta at JFK wonderful. But would I take a transfer to JFK on Delta again? No!

A few years ago I cruised on the Star Princess to Alaska and used the Princess transer bus to the Seatlle airport. We were all dropped off down a hill and there were some hired men to help us with our luggage to the Delta entrance. I was so angry that I had to have a man help me with my luggage because then I had to tip him. It would have been better to be dropped off at the entrance.

Another time I took a transfer bus from my cruise ship in Fort Lauderdale. It was a rainy looking day with gray skies and when we got to the airport the bus driver

made us all sit on the bus and wait until he had gotten all of the luggage off the bus. I knew he wanted a tip from all of us so I yelled to everybody not to tip him because while we were waiting it started to rain hard and our luggage was getting all wet because he had not stopped in front of the entrance.

I am used to getting off the bus and look for my luggage as it is taken out of the bus bin. I always give the driver a tip. But this time I didn't

because I got all wet and had to change my clothes at the airport.

The majority of the time I have always enjoyed the transfer buses from all of the cruiselines. But I think that if you are in a hurry to get to the airport I wouldn't use the cruise-line transfer bus because sometimes there are some strange airports where the driver has to go in a circle to get to your departing airline terminal.

We all suffer at times and we can't always predict what the situation will be with bus drivers. We have no control but to complain later to the cruiselines. I choose to not complain. Lucy

Sometimes Princess doesn't know exactly how the transportation works.

Since we had Princess transfers, I asked at the Pursers desk if we would be dropped at our airline or a central location. After the Purser made a phone call, he told me terminal 3 (American was 8).So I asked was this a central

dropoff and he said yes. Well, I had gone on line and checked and saw there is no such thing. So when we boarded the bus, the driver asked us which terminal and put our luggage in appropriate bin. (In a previous post I discussed this) and he went to all the airline terminals for dropoffs.

We had Princess transfers to LGA off the CP in September and were more than a little confused by the bus drivers lack of knowledge or maybe just a lack of will to instruct pax about which airlines were served at the terminal stops we made. Many stayed on the bus when they should have got off. Then all the luggage was stacked on the curb at each stop because no one knew who needed to get off. We guessed right. Not a well planned or executed connection. If the taxi ride is even near the cost of the bus we will take it next time.

A few years ago I cruised on the Star Princess to Alaska and used the Princess transer bus to the Seatlle airport. We were all dropped off down a hill and there were some hired men to help us with our luggage to the Delta entrance. I was so angry that I had to have a man help me with my luggage because then I had to tip him. It would have been better to be dropped off at the entrance.

Another time I took a transfer bus from my cruise ship in Fort Lauderdale. It was a rainy looking day with gray skies and when we got to the airport the bus driver

made us all sit on the bus and wait until he had gotten all of the luggage off the bus. I knew he wanted a tip from all of us so I yelled to everybody not to tip him because while we were waiting it started to rain hard and our luggage was getting all wet because he had not stopped in front of the entrance.

I am used to getting off the bus and look for my luggage as it is taken out of the bus bin. I always give the driver a tip. But this time I didn't

because I got all wet and had to change my clothes at the airport.

The majority of the time I have always enjoyed the transfer buses from all of the cruiselines. But I think that if you are in a hurry to get to the airport I wouldn't use the cruise-line transfer bus because sometimes there are some strange airports where the driver has to go in a circle to get to your departing airline terminal.

We all suffer at times and we can't always predict what the situation will be with bus drivers. We have no control but to complain later to the cruiselines. I choose to not complain. Lucy

Your bus driver was nice enough to allow everyone to stay on the dry bus so no one had to wait in the rain while suitcases were unloaded. Because of this(plus the all important fact that you got wet from the rain) you encourage everyone not to tip!?! I don't think I would share this story with to many people. You must be a "hoot" to travel with.

Archived