Cell Phone Service at Sea -Jewel

marbat105

Hi, I',m new to posting, please be gentle. Cruising for the first time on the Jewel on 11/12 for our 25th wedding anniversary, without the kids. How is the cell phone service at sea? Would like to keep in touch and since they've always been with us, we were happy to be "cut off" from these things previously. Thanks:)

Depending on the port and your service plan with your cell company, it can be a lot cheaper to wait until you are in port. I had very spotty service on our cruise from Los Angeles to Alaska, but it was a repo cruise and the worst reception was during the time they were switching satellites; it took them a day and a half to restore service. My former employer still racked up $250 in charges while I was on "vacation".

If you are on a "regular" itinerary, you won't have the reception problem, but it is $2.49 a minute. Make sure your plan will work in the countries you will be visiting (most Verizon phones won't work in Europe, for example).

Just to double check because I don't like (bad) financial surprises...

I called my cell carrier and they do not have data service on ships or in the Bahamas so they said no charges. Also got instructions on how to turn off data just in case. Got rates for voice and texting.

I want to be sure that the cruise ship will not charge anything on top of what my cell carrier does - is that correct?

TIA!

Just to double check because I don't like (bad) financial surprises...

I called my cell carrier and they do not have data service on ships or in the Bahamas so they said no charges. Also got instructions on how to turn off data just in case. Got rates for voice and texting.

I want to be sure that the cruise ship will not charge anything on top of what my cell carrier does - is that correct?

TIA!

As long as you have your "data" off, you should only be charged (while on the ship) $2.50 min for calls and the price previously mentioned for texting. It's the data that can run up huge bills.

Archived