Rome on a Sunday

24butterfly

What to do?????

We're doing the Sistine on Saturday, and did the Borghese already.....Thanks for your input!

Eyewitness Guidbook lists Rome's top tourist attractions as follows:

Capitoline Museums

Colosseum

Sistine Chapel and Raphael Rooms -- Vatican Museum

St. Peter's Basilica

Trevi Fountain

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Roman Forum

Spanish Steps

Castel Sant'Angelo

How many of these have you done already? If you've missed any of these, they can all be visited on a Sunday.

We had the same situation in Rome last year. We had three nights which, with the travel days, gave us Saturday and Sunday in Rome. On Saturday we saw the Sistine, the Basillica, the dome, then saw the Spanish Steps and Trevi.

On Sunday, we saw the Forum first, then the Colosseum, then had dinner in Piazza Navona. I've never felt we tried to do too much, nor do I think we should have fit in one more site.

Eyewitness Guidbook lists Rome's top tourist attractions... How many of these have you done already? If you've missed any of these, they can all be visited on a Sunday.

Just for clarification...

I meant that you can visit any of these destinations on a Sunday. None will be closed. I don't necessarily recommend visiting everything besides the Sistine Chapel which you'll be seeing Saturday.

If you would like to do something unique, that 99% (my guess at a percentage, nothing scientific there) of Americans who have visited Rome have not done, you can visit the Quirinale Palace (Italy's White House). It is only open to the public on Sunday mornings and it costs only 5 Euro.

I took some of my group there this past Sunday and they loved it. You tour through about 20 or so of the public rooms. Each has laminated cards in English that explain about the room's history, function and decoration.

After the tour you can stay for a live concert in the Pauline Chapel, if you want. The concert is from noon until 1 PM and is broacast live on RAI radio. The concert is included in the 5 Euro entry fee.

Eyewitness Guidbook lists Rome's top tourist attractions as follows:

Capitoline Museums

Colosseum

Sistine Chapel and Raphael Rooms -- Vatican Museum

St. Peter's Basilica

Trevi Fountain

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Roman Forum

Spanish Steps

Castel Sant'Angelo

How many of these have you done already? If you've missed any of these, they can all be visited on a Sunday.

I think the vatican museum is closed on Sunday...

EC, we are going to Rome on Sunday,Nov 6th via train from Civi. Ship boards on Monday, so we have lots of time. Where is the Quirinale Palace? This is our second time in Rome and would like to see different things than the usual tourist sites. Bluenoser

I think the vatican museum is closed on Sunday...

Thanks for the clarification. The OP will be visiting the Vatican on Saturday so my imprecise wording was intended for the remaining sites on the list. Other readers without Saturday plans for the Vatican will appreciate your useful observation.

If you would like to do something unique, that 99% (my guess at a percentage, nothing scientific there) of Americans who have visited Rome have not done, you can visit the Quirinale Palace (Italy's White House). It is only open to the public on Sunday mornings and it costs only 5 Euro.

I took some of my group there this past Sunday and they loved it. You tour through about 20 or so of the public rooms. Each has laminated cards in English that explain about the room's history, function and decoration.

After the tour you can stay for a live concert in the Pauline Chapel, if you want. The concert is from noon until 1 PM and is broacast live on RAI radio. The concert is included in the 5 Euro entry fee.

Yes we would! We've done everything a few times over and WANT something different! Any additional info on the Quirinale Palace? (How to get there, etc). Would LOVE the concert in the Chapel! Any other suggestions are welcome that are different! Thank u, euro cruiser!

We won't have a car--so how to get to places are appreciated. thanks again to all.

This sounds like a great idea. We will be in Rome for a week before our TA at the end of November. What time did you get to the palace? I've read that there is a long line and to get there early.

Thanks,

Cynthia

The Quirinale Palace is located at Piazza del Quirinale, near Trevi Fountain on one side and Via ****onale on the other side.

The entrance for the tour and concert is from Piazza del Quirinale. We arrived at about 10:15 and waited in line about 20 minutes. You are let into the palace in groups of 20 or so; you go through an airport security system and then cross the first courtyard to the entrance of the building.

After climbing the grand staircase, you enter the first of the ceremonial rooms where you pay your 5 Euro entrance fee. In the next room they sell books about the palace history and decoration for 10 Euro each.

Arriving at 10:15 allowed us to be in the chapel and seated for the concert by about 11:45; folks who were much later didn't get seated.

There was a thread about a week ago that listed a good number of things to do for those who have been to Rome several times already. Many are doable on a Sunday.

This past Sunday I was able to arrange (through my hotel) a tour of the Auditorium of Maecenas (Auditorio di Mecenate), a little known site of ancient Rome said to be part of the villa owned by a famous friend of emperor Augustus, where Virgil recited while diners reclined; also supposedly the site from which Nero later watched (not fiddled) while Rome burned. Very interesting......but probably not for everyone. :p

I also spent a good part of the afternoon on the top floor of the Museo Na*ionale (the Palazzo Massimo branch near Termini). Since I was last there they have redone all the beautiful frescoes discovered in a villa near Rome in beautiful settings that mimic those of the villa. Also there are the surviving frescoes from the villa of Livia (wife of the first emperor Augustus); these are literally some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Also there are the surviving frescoes from the villa of Livia (wife of the first emperor Augustus); these are literally some of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Have these been relocated from Livia's villa on the Palatine Hill? My recollection from a visit there seven years ago is that as a preservation strategy, the frescoes had been cut away from the wall of the house, restored and re-hung with a space between the original wall. Still they were displayed in their original location. Your comment makes me wonder if this move is a further conservation step or whether these are a different set of frescoes.

The Quirinale Palace is located at Piazza del Quirinale, near Trevi Fountain on one side and Via ****onale on the other side.

The entrance for the tour and concert is from Piazza del Quirinale. We arrived at about 10:15 and waited in line about 20 minutes. You are let into the palace in groups of 20 or so; you go through an airport security system and then cross the first courtyard to the entrance of the building.

After climbing the grand staircase, you enter the first of the ceremonial rooms where you pay your 5 Euro entrance fee. In the next room they sell books about the palace history and decoration for 10 Euro each.

Arriving at 10:15 allowed us to be in the chapel and seated for the concert by about 11:45; folks who were much later didn't get seated.

Thank you so much. I have copied and pasted this into my notes. Both you and Cruisemom have provided me with so many great ideas for this trip through your responses to others. It's hard to believe we will finally be leaving next month. The planning is done so it's time to start packing. :)

Cynthia

Have these been relocated from Livia's villa on the Palatine Hill? My recollection from a visit there seven years ago is that as a preservation strategy, the frescoes had been cut away from the wall of the house, restored and re-hung with a space between the original wall. Still they were displayed in their original location. Your comment makes me wonder if this move is a further conservation step or whether these are a different set of frescoes.

These are not the frescoes from Livia's villa on Palatine Hill, but rather from her (or one of her) suburban villas. I'm on a cruise right now and I don't have my notes with me, but I believe the name of the Villa is Villa Alba or something similar. The frescoes are from the supposed summer triclinium (dining room) and are a beautiful fantasia of plants and animals, mostly birds.

These are not the frescoes from Livia's villa on Palatine Hill, but rather from her (or one of her) suburban villas. I'm on a cruise right now and I don't have my notes with me, but I believe the name of the Villa is Villa Alba or something similar. The frescoes are from the supposed summer triclinium (dining room) and are a beautiful fantasia of plants and animals, mostly birds.

Thanks for this information.

Enjoy your cruise. I look hearing about your trip when you get back.

Several years ago we had one free day at the end of a cruise and it was a Sunday..turned out to be one of our best days ever in a city..we walked..probably at least 10 miles all over, along the Tibor, Trevi Fountain, Parthenon, Spanish Steps, and on to the Borghese Gardens and back..just taking our time..every corner we turned was a new experience..ruins we didn't even know were there..it was a fabulous day..can't wait to repeat it..rememebr..Sunday in Rome has virtually very little traffic and perfect for walking...

Enjoy your day..you will NOT be disappointed!

Sherry

Several years ago we had one free day at the end of a cruise and it was a Sunday..turned out to be one of our best days ever in a city..we walked..probably at least 10 miles all over, along the Tibor, Trevi Fountain, Parthenon, Spanish Steps, and on to the Borghese Gardens and back..just taking our time..every corner we turned was a new experience..ruins we didn't even know were there..it was a fabulous day..can't wait to repeat it..rememebr..Sunday in Rome has virtually very little traffic and perfect for walking...

Enjoy your day..you will NOT be disappointed!

Sherry

We were looking for things out of the ordinary--we have been to Rome several times before.....thanks for your post.

Archived