What is your favorite domestic port of departurre?

jetfan0330

I have only cruised once and it was out of Baltimore it is so easy to get to the port and to get out of the port to drive home. I have taken people to the port of NY and it is a pain to get into BUT I can not wait until I cruise out of NY to see the sites as we cruise by.:D

I like Port Canaveral:) Got lucky in 2008 and got to see a shuttle launch on the last sea day. They shut off all the lights on the ship and tons of people were on deck to watch it go!

Ahhhhh, talk about the view of a lifetime! I saw the last night shuttle launch from land, and it was certifiably one of the coolest things ever!:) Like the sun was rising at night.

We love sailing out of Miami best. Nothing better than sailing down the causeway with Key Biscayne and Fisher Island along the way. That last bit sailing past South Beach is awesome!

Since I am directionally challanged can anyone tell me if when leaving Ft. Lauderdale will we see the same sights as when leaving Miami?

Since I am directionally challanged can anyone tell me if when leaving Ft. Lauderdale will we see the same sights as when leaving Miami?

No.

Ft. lauderdale is about 25 miles north of Miami. Unless you have some high power binoculars, you won't get to see South Beach or Fisher Island, but you'll still get a nice view of Ft. Lauderdale and Dania Beach! :D

NYC - Not only is it a fantastic sail away, it's a 2 hr drive from my house! Although Carnival doesn't sail from Brooklyn (Princess and Cunard use the port) is high up on my list as well, pretty easy to get to and no tolls if you're coming from LI.

So far we have only cruised out of Port Canaveral, and we love it. We usually spend a few days before the cruise in Daytona Beach, so when we get to Port Canaveral we do our laundry. :) We spend the night at either Quality Inn or the Radisson. We have a couple favorite restaurants we like to go to and walk on Cocoa Beach.

Our next cruise will be the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale and I'm already nervous because I don't know the area at all. With Port Canaveral we know where everything is, where to go, etc. so this will be a new experience for us. And the cruise after that will be the Conquest out of New Orleans. I'm looking forward to starting that on the river, and we're going to spend several days in New Orleans before the cruise so I'm excited about that too.

I think just about every port I've gone out of was ugly.

Baltimore was easy to get to, easy to get through, and the staff was nice. But it was ugly until you got out into the bay.

Miami didn't strike me as real beauty spot either.

Jax is in the middle of an industrial port.

Tampa had a junk yard and a container yard next to it.

And I have to go past my office to get out of NYC's harbor.

I would think that would make it the best!

"Bye, bye workers!"

I've only sailed out of Miami and didn't think it was that great. I'm looking forward to sailing out of Baltimore, next year if only to go under the bridge!

Since I live in Florida, I can drive to all of the ports with ease. All the ports are just about a 2 hour or so drive with the exception of Jacksonvile. I like leaving from Tampa, and sailing under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is nice. Leaving from Port Everglades (Lauderdale) is fun when you pass by all the condos and a lot of people are on their balconies blowing air horns. But I am a cynic and I prefer sailing from the port of Miami for a greedy reason. I have a handicap tag and get free parking in the garages and outdoor parking lots. Hey it saves me $140 on a 7 day cruise and that aint bad. :rolleyes:

Going out of the port of new orleans for the first time on the conquest? I have sailed out of Miami, Ft Laud and orlando. Love going out of Miami for the scenery. Wondering what everyone else thinks?

That's a fabulous question!!

I have to say, and it surprises me more than anyone, is that I love sailing out of Miami.

Every cruise I have taken out of Miami turned out to be such an easy embrakation, plus I love the port area...so much to do!!!

I also love Tampa.

NY would be my least favorite (but I have had fabulous repos out of that port!!)

By far is San Diego, oddly now other then Holland America, it seems like Carnival abandoned San Diego. CCL had loaned the Port Of San Diego a ton of money to help build their nice new and under used Terminal.

I see in 2012 some ships will come back.

I wish Princess would move a ship there, I sure will miss the Spirit!

We are on the Dec. 2-17th 2011 Hawaii Cruise out of San Pedro.

I have not had a good boarding experience at San Pedro.

Departure ports for us have been (non-domestic Rome - all time favorite) but domestic we have sailed out of Mobile many times and loved it since it was 20 minutes from home and because the terminal staff were awesome. NOLA is okay, but the long trek up the river at night is not great. We have also done Jacksonville, Port Canaveral and Galveston and I think I like Galsveston the best.

Going out of the port of new orleans for the first time on the conquest? I have sailed out of Miami, Ft Laud and orlando. Love going out of Miami for the scenery. Wondering what everyone else thinks?

We really like NOLA. First, it's close. We can drive there from Little Rock more quickly than we can fly to most any other port. Second, they are very efficient during checkin. Third, the trip down the river passing all the other ship traffic and the little fishing towns is neat. And more than once we've had fireworks for us as we passed this villiage or that one. Amazingly friendly people.

Enjoy your trip. If you drive down to NOLA, stay in the Holiday Inn Superdome. Rooms are nice and reasonably priced; plus, you can park in their garage for free with the cruise package.

Have a great trip. And welcome to the South.

Todd Rasmussen

Morrilton, Arkansas

Archived