Helicopter Tour Nawiliwili, Waimea Canyon

wallis7219

Hello

We will be in Nawiliwili on the 27th December, and are thinking of doing a helicopter tour on the island and Waimea Canyon.

We will be on the Cunard ship, that is wanting to charge $330 per person for this tour.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing a Helicopter tour privately and have any recommendations?

Many thanks

Gary

Kauai is an awesome place for a helicopter.

I think the easiest thing is to do a little research and see what the direct book price is and factor in taxi and/or if they offer their own shuttle.

Nothing beats a little leg work on our own to avoid the Cruiseline excurions price :D

My wife and I did a helicopter trip on Kauai some years ago, which I thought was great. My wife got sick, but only because she doesn't tolerate helicopters (or boats) well. What was more fun, for both of us, was hiking down to the bottom of Waimea canyon from the cabin we rented in Koke`e state park. Since we live right next door, on Oahu, we've visited Kauai a number of times. It's great.

We used Blue Hawaii last October. We have seen thye Napaili coast from the ship a couple of times but nothing compare to seeing it from above. The heli's will get up close and personal and get right on top of water falls that you won't see from the ship.

Whichever company you use you will not be disappointed.

I would also suggest you book asap as the spots fill up pretty fast, if not already filled.

The airport is not far from the pier in fact you will be able to see planes coming in when your docked, maybe 5/10 min taxi ride. There will also be about 1/2 briefing when you get to the heli company on safety.

I'm sailing to Hawaii in April. I have booked a helicopter tour with safarihelicopters, for Kauai. It's the most economical one I've found. They have a 1 hr tour for $161.20 pp plus tax. You have to book it online with them, to get that special price. Of course I haven't done mine yet, to tell you how we liked it, but am really looking forward to it. They will pick us up at the ship.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for asking the question. I 'm in the 'same boat' (sorry no pun intended) and was wondering about the same thing. The cunard excursion included a drive up the coast and a picnic lunch. Booking direct with the helicopter company is less expensive but doesn't include the tour of the island. I still can decided.!!!

Bruce

Hi Bruce

I know what you mean, Its swings and roundabouts, it is cheaper to book direct with the helicopter company, but I also fancy a drive up the coast as well, so when you add all that and a picnic lunch the Cunard cost does not look too bad!

We have toyed with the idea of doing a "Doors Off" helicopter tour as Stef loves his photography and apparently this is the best way to do it! Although not sure Im brave enough to do that! :eek:

We have provisionally booked the cunard tour and can cancel if we come up with something else

All the best

Gary

Hi Bruce

I know what you mean, Its swings and roundabouts, it is cheaper to book direct with the helicopter company, but I also fancy a drive up the coast as well, so when you add all that and a picnic lunch the Cunard cost does not look too bad!

We have toyed with the idea of doing a "Doors Off" helicopter tour as Stef loves his photography and apparently this is the best way to do it! Although not sure Im brave enough to do that! :eek:

We have provisionally booked the cunard tour and can cancel if we come up with something else

All the best

Gary

Hi Gary,

We'll probably see you on the excursion!. I know what you mean about the doors off. Ross is the photographer, but I don't think he would be comfortable enough holding his DSLR near the open doors!

Bruce

Try sunshinehelicopters dot com. They have a cruise ship special (includes transportation to/from the port) for $194 per person and includes flyovers of Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and Wailua Falls. We used them a few years ago.

For other companies, how did you transfer to the airport - taxi? otherwise?

Thanks -

Maddle

Okay - companies I am looking at do not provide transportation....

What can we expect the taxi fare to be each way? How much time should we allow for travel? Are their traffic considerations or particular "rush hours?" (probably not, but I have to ask.)

Okay - companies I am looking at do not provide transportation....

What can we expect the taxi fare to be each way? How much time should we allow for travel? Are their traffic considerations or particular "rush hours?" (probably not, but I have to ask.)

If you are talking about the ride from the port (Nawiliwili) to Lihue Airport where many of the helicopter tours leave from then it is a very short cab ride. Maybe $10-15 (a couple of miles).

However, not all the helicopter tours leave from Lihue Airport. A few leave from the Princeville area and a few leave from Port Allen. Those airports are much further and will be very expensive cab rides. I think it would cost $75-100 to Princeville (each way) and a $50-75 (each way) to Port Allen. Not sure on price, but expensive. If you are paying for the cab fare yourself, be sure to take a helicopter tour out of Lihue Airport.

I booked with Blue Hawaiian this afternoon. In the "special request" portion of the reservation form, I asked for instructions on how to transfer to the airport.

The response was that they would meet us at the Harbor Mall, and they give instructions on how to get over there. (Simple enough.)

Can anyone tell me about their experience? Is there a kiosk over there? They have my cell phone number, and I have their contact number, so I am not worried - but I would love more details from anyone that has booked with them in the past.

Maddle

Wallis: Greetings to you. My 2 cents. I've booked me/DH with Island Helicopters in Kauai to see the Waimea Canyon several months ago for this December. They are cheaper than Blue. Also they have landing rights, so they have a Jurassic Falls tour where they land n the canyon, and you walk a short distance to some falls that were used in a movie by the same name.

Since I booked months ago, I was able to get a cruise/vaca friendly time of 10:30 a.m. on a Friday. They do NOT land on Thursdays for some reason (when POA is in port). I have read that the afternoons can be quiet rainy/foggy, so I booked us in a.m. The fine print in the email stated that they MUST have a full helicopter in order to fly, so that has got me concerned, but my CC friend said not to worry as nearby hotels send customers.

Also a difference between Blue vs Island is that Blue credits your card when you book. So if you like that, go for it. Island, however, credits your card when you show up. I like that too in case the ship can't make that POC. You'd be wise to check on cancellation policies when making final decision.

Also, you can do an 'advance search' on any subject. That can be found under the 'search' tab at top of page. You must be signed in. Once in 'search', click on 'Advance Search,' and you can see your options there. I learned a whole lot about cruises doing this. It always is helpful if you give some general info about your party as to how many, health issues, ages, likes/dislikes. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Thanks BigToesSwim'n - yes - Blue Hawaiian did charge my card already. Although we just booked for our trip that is only a month away, we also got a good time slot - check-in at 10:15, flight at 11:00 am. The cancellation policy is acceptable, as we will be in the islands a couple days before. We should be able to make a change if necessary by cell phone while on land. (We will be on Sapphire Princess from Los Angeles.)

On further review of the confirmation, it had instructions on how to find them in the Harbor Mall, so not too worried. They do provide r/t transfer from the Mall to Heliport.

Landing rights for your chosen company sounds amazing. I did not know about that option. I look forward to your review of the trip! (and I will post mine too.)

Maddle

Archived