Dolphin Encounter with 2 year old

indyweir

I have been looking for reviews of the Dolphin Encounter in Costa Maya, Mexico but haven't really found much and what I have found is from 2005 or so.

My daughter, who is almost 3, really wants to play with the dolphins, but the only place that allows 2 year olds is in Costa Maya. Has anyone visited this dolphin encounter? If so, what was it like?

Also, the cruise company is charging $ 109 per adult and $ 89.00 for my child, but I think I found the company online and they only charge $ 80 for adults and my daughter wouldn't cost anything because she is under 3. Should I book online or be safe and go with the Cruise?

We leave in 2 weeks and my daughter can't stop talking about the dolphins. Thanks for any help or/and suggestions!!!!

We did the Dolphin Encounter in Costa Maya last March with our 4 year old son. I don't want to burst your bubble, but it was icky. The dolphin "lagoon" seemed to have a bit of slippery weed lining it and wasn't very clean. At the entry point to the pool/lagoon, there was a sharp wire that could have injured an adult or a child. Plus, it was WAY overpriced. Our DS threw a major fit and didn't want to go in the water with us. We pushed him to come in the water while we held him, but as the dolphin "encounter" continued, I started to think DS's reaction was right on. I don't blame him for not wanting to go in the lagoon! It wasn't clean, it wasn't the safest, the poor dolphins were stuck there. I wouldn't recommend it for you and your family. Sorry, but that's the truth. You might check out other locations for dolphin encounters, but I will warn you that many people are concerned about how the dophins are treated and captured. My advice for Costa Maya in general is, stay on the ship! You'll have a better time.

We did a dolphin encounter in Nassau at Blue Lagoon with our two sons who were 6 and just-turned-3yrs in January. Both boys were dolphin crazy, wanted to go, watched videos of what would happen, couldn't wait etc etc etc. Both boys are in swimming lessons and comfortable being in the water. I was pretty impressed with the facility we went to, the water was very clean, lots of room for the dolphins to swim around and they could come and go from the group as they chose...although the fish rewards usually got their attention! They did a little educational presentation on dolphins in the wild, how people interact with them and how it isn't always a good outcome for the dolphins. I too had heard some horror stories of places that were dirty, slimy etc, so definitely do some careful research.

However, neither of the boys were impressed with the whole thing. It was fairly fast paced, with not a lot of time for little kids to get used to their surroundings or the fact there is now a very large wet mammal in their face. DH and I ended up each holding a child for each encounter, although DS2 ended up feeding the dolphin and touching it a few times, DS1 only rubbed it's belly and that was it. If I had to do it again, I think we would have just looked at the dolphins rather than get into the water. OTOH DH and I thought it was fantastic and an amazing experience :D

"Encounters" are very iffy, almost pricey as they have "dolphin" and can charge it. I did one such in the Caribbean when my boys were younger instead of the full swim. They thought it was a rip off, oh so did I:mad: Depending on the place you get either dock level or maybe half submerged and a few minutes petting and watch other activities. At least where we were they even prohibited pictures, took them and wanted big bucks for them, YMMV. I'd say if you do this wait till they are old and pop for the longer and more eye popping expensive dolphin swims!

For a very young child, beside the photo ops and some few seconds of squealing delight and memories of the pictures you probably won't have much else for your hundred bucks.

I think there is more value in visiting a good aquarium where you can get near a dolphin pool and watch or feed them.

Are you going to Cozumel by any chance? Because my 3 year old just did the encounter there and LOVED IT!!! They were awesome and even through in the manatee encounter with it as well. It was an awesome day.

Here's my review if you are interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Also, the cruise company is charging $ 109 per adult and $ 89.00 for my child, but I think I found the company online and they only charge $ 80 for adults and my daughter wouldn't cost anything because she is under 3. Should I book online or be safe and go with the Cruise?

We leave in 2 weeks and my daughter can't stop talking about the dolphins. Thanks for any help or/and suggestions!!!!

Just one more thing...make sure you read the fine print too. Some may say a certain cost for children under age 3 BUT they go by the height of the child and if you have a 2 year old that is a bit on the taller side and could go past the height requirements, you could end up paying the adult price. So just look and see if you see anything like that. (I believe the one we went to was free as long as they were under 35")

Archived