Ultimate Balcony Dining

Modeen

We did the UBD on the Coral. I booked before we left on the cruise and then when on the ship reserved the time and night I wanted. I called room service. It turned out that there were 27 UBD that night ( We were anchored overnight before going through the Panama Canal. You will get a formal invitation with a description of the menu. It works beautifully in a mini suite as you can either have the dinner on the verandah or in the sitting area. A balcony room will work just fine on the balcony but I'm a bit concerned if it will work in a non balcony cabin as the space is quite limited. Ask about that when inquiring about the reservation when on the ship. What is particularly great about this dinner is that it is not only a great meal but quiet, relaxed and private. The waiter serves a course then discretely leaves for a comfortable amount of time for you to enjoy. It starts with the table set up with a flower centerpiece, a cocktail of your choice and Hors Devours. Also the photographer takes pictures which you can purchase. There is a bottle of champaigne to enjoy with your dinner. Each course is a work of art as well as delicious. We couldn't eat everything. I would do this again as it is really such a treat.

The main course offerd was Filet Mignon, Lobster tail or surf and turf. DH had the lobster which included 2 very generous size tails and he could only eat one. I had the surf and turf and could onlyy eat half. I hope this helps those who are considering this option.

We did the UBD on the Coral. I booked before we left on the cruise and then when on the ship reserved the time and night I wanted. I called room service. It turned out that there were 27 UBD that night.
Wow! I did not know they could do that many one the same night. That gives me hope that we'll be able to schedule ours the night I want to do it on our upcoming cruise.

Hi,

after reading this thread I contacted Princess about UBD on our forthcoming Caribbean cruise. We are taking our daughter who has a learning disability and wanted to celebrate her 20th birthday in style as we have suite booked for this.

I enquired about the possibility of having this for 3 persons....apparantly no-one has asked for this before.The gentleman I spoke to could not provide me with an answer and has emailed head office in the US to see if it is possible.

Has anyone else done this?

I realise that it is usually a romantic interlude but surely it could be adapted for other occasions?

Hi,

after reading this thread I contacted Princess about UBD on our forthcoming Caribbean cruise. We are taking our daughter who has a learning disability and wanted to celebrate her 20th birthday in style as we have suite booked for this.

I enquired about the possibility of having this for 3 persons....apparantly no-one has asked for this before.The gentleman I spoke to could not provide me with an answer and has emailed head office in the US to see if it is possible.

Has anyone else done this?

I realise that it is usually a romantic interlude but surely it could be adapted for other occasions?

I have never done the UBD, but I have done the Champagne Breakfast for two (and there were 3 of us - all adults). We basically only ordered it for 2 people but asked for an extra plate and silverware. There was enough food to split between 3 people and it sounds like this would be the case for UBD also. However, if you want a whole additional meal for her. you are doing the right thing by asking the cruise line.

Absolutely and they will be happy to accomodate you. We have hosted the UBD for as many as 8 persons on an aft suite balcony.

Mike:)

We spoke to someone who did the UBD for 3 so I know its possible. That said, I am not sure I would do it on some of the smaller balconies (Caribe deck for example would be fine).

I have never done the UBD, but I have done the Champagne Breakfast for two (and there were 3 of us - all adults). We basically only ordered it for 2 people but asked for an extra plate and silverware. There was enough food to split between 3 people and it sounds like this would be the case for UBD also. However, if you want a whole additional meal for her. you are doing the right thing by asking the cruise line.

Which would be preferable for UBD an evening at sea or the one night that we have a late departure from Curacao?

I would opt for the evening when leaving Curacao. The evening at sea may be a formal evening and I do not like to miss formal evenings in the MDR. If you are not into dressing for a formal evening, then the evening at sea may be best.

I would opt for the evening when leaving Curacao. The evening at sea may be a formal evening and I do not like to miss formal evenings in the MDR. If you are not into dressing for a formal evening, then the evening at sea may be best.
I would opt for the late port day also. We had a beautiful view of Cabo during our UBD in April when they changed Cabo to an overnight stay. We saw the sunset and the lights of the city come on from our balcony.

We are sailing on the 14night hawaii cruise next April and I would just love to do the UBD - we are in a mini-suite.

Any idea which night would be best. I don't want to do it too early or too late in the cruise as I have heard the weather my be quite cool.

We had the UBD on the Coral in April on the first formal night. We prefer not to attend the MDR on formal night, we are on vaca and do not want to "have" to do anything. The head of housekeeping came into our cabin dressed in a tux that evening to oversee the set up of our UBD. I told him we were not dressing up for this occasion but want to be comfortable on our balcony, enjoying dinner. He was gracious and said no problem, it was our choice.

The experience, food and service was outstanding!

I would like to pre order this for my husband and myself and our traveling companions (we are in balconies next door to each other.) Do I need to know what everyone wants to order when I call to reserve or will this be done when we are on the ship? I would like to give this "gift" to them at Christmas so I can't ask them now what they want. How did you who have pre ordered already , do it? thanks so much for the help.

I would like to pre order this for my husband and myself and our traveling companions (we are in balconies next door to each other.) Do I need to know what everyone wants to order when I call to reserve or will this be done when we are on the ship? I would like to give this "gift" to them at Christmas so I can't ask them now what they want. How did you who have pre ordered already , do it? thanks so much for the help.

This was my reply from Princess Cruises:

Thank you for your email.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. You will enjoy an exclusive, private dining experience under the stars for a small fee of only 100.00 USD per couple, I regret this can only be booked once you have embarked the ship.

I hope this information has helped answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

As far as what's offered in the way of food, I think you can request anything and if they can accomodate you, they will.

I had originally set my UBD up with the filet mignon (I think) but after having Tilapia for dinner one of the first nights, I called and asked if I could have Tilapia again for our UBD later in the cruise. They checked and had some available, so I was able to get exactly what I wanted.

If you pre-order there will be a card in room, you call room service to set the date and time and then the supervisor will contact you to discuss the menu...

I seem to have received conflicting answers, so I just called Princess. I was able to book both our UBD and our friends on the phone. You can pick the night you want it or you can just have the card in your cabin upon boarding and pick your night later. They will fill out a gift card to present to our friends with our personal message/greeting. The CS rep. said we are guaranteed this as it is paid in full already (she took CC info on phone). My guess is that this has become very popular and what was for just a few a night has been expanded. I remember when the champagne breakfast was implemented, very few were partaking and now I think it has grown tremendously. Hope this helps.

I seem to have received conflicting answers, so I just called Princess. I was able to book both our UBD and our friends on the phone. You can pick the night you want it or you can just have the card in your cabin upon boarding and pick your night later. They will fill out a gift card to present to our friends with our personal message/greeting. The CS rep. said we are guaranteed this as it is paid in full already (she took CC info on phone). My guess is that this has become very popular and what was for just a few a night has been expanded. I remember when the champagne breakfast was implemented, very few were partaking and now I think it has grown tremendously. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for letting us know...

I'm Calling in the Morning and Pre-Paying for us on our Upcoming Hawaii Cruise....

Sounds Like a Fun Time with Great Food......Were going to plan it on the last Port Day in Hawaii..:D

I'll Post Saturday how in went or if there was any problems Pre-Paying..

OK I just got off the phone with Princess and PrePaid for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on our Upcoming Golden/Hawaii Cruise Nov 9th...

The only slight problem was there are 3 of us....When Prepaying they can only do it by Bookings of 2 people....So We Prepayed $100....

The Rep was Very Nice and Said that We can Either Share the Meal with the Third Person which He Said theres MORE THAN ENOUGH FOOD TO DO SO...

BUT Also He said for us to just Ask once were Onboard and Actually Pick the Night and HOPEFULLY there wouldnt be a problem with them just adding an Additional $50 Charge for the Third Person to Our Room Account....

Either Way ITS GOING TO BE A GREAT TIME....Nothing Better than Drinks....Lobster and Filet on the Balcony while were leaving Maui....:D

Cant Wait for this Coming Wednesday......

Sorry for a rather ridiculous question, but this is my first trip on Princess, first trip using their balconies, and I'm a bit of a cheapskate... other than the lack of a photographer, what is the big difference between ordering a few courses on room service and bringing your own bubbly vs. paying $100 for the UBD?

Thanks for the clarification! Definitely going to try for the chef's table!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Sorry for a rather ridiculous question, but this is my first trip on Princess, first trip using their balconies, and I'm a bit of a cheapskate... other than the lack of a photographer, what is the big difference between ordering a few courses on room service and bringing your own bubbly vs. paying $100 for the UBD?

Thanks for the clarification! Definitely going to try for the chef's table!!

Princess has a very limited room service menu and you could not come close to duplicating the meal included in the UBD. We have done both and IMHO the UBD is a better value at $50/person than the Chef's Table at the now $95/person.

Thank you, ie! I appreciate you explaining. On a related note, I've seen that you can order from the dining room menu as well as room service, some people have said only suites can do that. We're in a balcony but not a suite. Will we still be able to order from the dining room menu?

Princess has a very limited room service menu and you could not come close to duplicating the meal included in the UBD. We have done both and IMHO the UBD is a better value at $50/person than the Chef's Table at the now $95/person.

Yep, we agree. We aren't big on sitting with a bunch of strangers at a table - especially at $95 per person!! And there is a chance we aren't in a wine mood that night. I've also seen many of these menu's serve veal. We do not eat veal and do not feel comfortable asking for something different. This just puts us in an awkward situation that we would rather avoid.

Instead, on our next cruise, we are doing the UBD and we are going to sign up for the ultimate ship tour. To each their own.

Thank you, ie! I appreciate you explaining. On a related note, I've seen that you can order from the dining room menu as well as room service, some people have said only suites can do that. We're in a balcony but not a suite. Will we still be able to order from the dining room menu?

I have seen only one post where someone not in a suite asked for a meal from the dining room menu during the hours the dining rooms were open and apparently received the meal from room service. It is stated specifically as a suite privilege. The actual verbiage is "Extended room service menu (extended breakfast, lunch, dinner offering)". Elites can request afternoon tea in their staterooms but are not offered "Extended room service menu".

Archived