Trouble in Cozumel

Merv692

During our cruise of March 27th on the Majesty one of our ports of call was Cozumel. We went to this beach at a local hotel/condo. Went through their timeshare presentation that took about an hour. After that we were granted full use of their facilities, open bar and food. We were there 10 minutes. I went in the water first, put on my mask and snorkel, I looked behind my and my wife Cathy slid down the steps. They were Stone steps and very slippery. She got whacked pretty good. I pulled her up to a chair that a lady brought to the water. She was bleeding pretty bad from the back of her head. My Father was snorkeling and didn't see anything happen. I waived to him to get him out of the water. As he was getting out, his snorkel came apart from his mask. He went to reach for it and he slipped hard on his side. He is 62. I'm at the top of the steps with Cathy, And He is laying face down in the water. I start running toward him and told myself to slow down or I'll be next! As I get to him he comes up. He cut his Knee and Wrist. He hurt his shoulder to find out later that night.

It's about 12:30 in the afternoon and the ship leaves at 5:30 I was getting nervous now. I had to get Cathy to a hospital. I didn't really want to go to one in Mexico. So I got her back to the ship. They looked at her on the ship, cleaned her up and X-rayed her head and neck. She must have hit her neck as well. As the doctor touched her neck she jumped. He needed another X-ray. The x ray only showed 6 of the 8 disc in her neck. Those 6 looked fine but he needed to see all 8. He then sent us to a local Hospital. He would not clear her to sail without the xray. I was getting Scared! I ran up to the cabin and packed a few clothes for both of us and threw them in a bag. It's about 1:30 now. From my experience here in Delaware, if you go to the emergency room it is a multi- hour event. So I was thinking there is no way we are getting back to the ship on time. Norwegian arranged for the port agent to drive us to the hospital. Upon arrival I must say it was very small but nice inside. It almost looked like something set up for the cruise lines. It was the Cozumel Medical Center. Upon arrival they ask what time your ship leaves. I told them 4:30. (I didn't want to be late.) They X-rayed her neck within 15 minutes, we waited 30 minutes for the radiologist to read and report on the x rays, another 15 minutes they called the port agent to take us back to the ship. When we walked onto that ship it was like someone took a 1000 LBS. off my shoulders. Oh yeah, Cathy was ok, just a little bruised and sore. We had to see the doctor so she could be cleared to sail.

We didn't have the extra trip insurance and in this case it turned out ok, but I think I will have it in the future. This woke me up as to how vulnerable we are while traveling by a cruise ship.

Sovereign of the Seas 03/96

Carnival Paradise 03/01

NCL Majesty 03/27/04

It is a very important thing to get insurance. I have insurance through the company I work for and if someone does not have a good insurance, he should get a good one before to leave the country, you're right.

NCL Dawn, December 2003

wow...First of all...sorry,how scarey.

I am wondering how you were billed at the facility on land,and how much?

There was a family from here that had problems

in Mexico City a few months back.But it was serious heart problems.They had trip insurance,but the hospital they were at was sticking them hard,demanding huge amounts of money prior to treatment...anyway,long story,just wondering how things were handled there as we stop there about once per year.

Hope everyone recovered ok,and were able to enjoy rest of trip.

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif

I guess I was pre-desposed to a poor outcome but sure felt good when you said all were ok and you made the ship!

Insuranc eis NOT only if you cancel but the billion other things that could happen!

NORWEGIAN SEA....MAY 1, 2004 A RETURN VISIT

So glad to hear everything worked out, and so happy to hear NCL and the clinic staff helped you through a tough experience. I hope the rest of your cruise was good.

It's my understanding that Medicare and some private health insurance policies do not provide coverage outside the US. It's wise to confirm coverage before making the decision to forego supplemental travel-related health insurance.

Donsweeten's experience is why I travel with a good supply of travelers checks. I want to be prepared for unforseen circumstances of any type. If it's a medical emergency, even with insurance you probably have to pay up front and file for reimbursement after you get home. Travelers checks are cheap or even free at some financial institutions or through AAA, can be cashed onboard with no fee, are widely accepted in place of cash, and any unused ones can be saved for your next trip or used around town when you get home. They are low-tech and old-fashioned, but they suit my needs.

This is another example of the need for insurence, even the gamblers like me need to spend that extra few bucks. I would suggest buying it privately and not through the cruise line. That said, glad a could be disaster turned our to be a positive. No serious injuries and a great experience with NCL. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

Ok, to answer your billing question, We were billed $100 for the doctors visit by the cruise line, $25 for the X- rays by the cruise line which they billed to our sign and sail card. The Cozumel Medical center charged us $100 US cash. They would only accept cash. We are turning it in to our insurance company here but haven't heard anything as of yet. So the total bill was $225. It could of been alot worse, so I am not complaining.

Don

Sovereign of the Seas 03/96

Carnival Paradise 03/01

NCL Majesty 03/27/04

Oh wow...I consider that lucky in respect to the prices..

The couple I was talking about was charging tens of thousands to Credit Cards..

At one point,they asked for a blanket,and were told to see the Cashier????

Again,glad all turned out OK.

Hope you were able to enjoy your trip.

Cathy

NCL-Starward 1982

NCL-Seaward 1986

NCL-Norway 1992

Carnival-Celebration 1996

Carnival-Jubilee 2001

RCI-Rhapsody 1999

RCI-Rhapsody- 2003

Grand Princess or Rhapsody ?

netdiver.gif