Temperature in NZ in Nov/Dec?

We're sailing to NZ on Nov 27 on the Pacific Pearl. I expect it will be fairly cool, but just how cold can it get? Do I need to pack winter coats, or should we be ok with just jeans and windcheaters? We're mostly doing the south island and also calling at Wellington.

Thanks in advance to all you knowledgable CC'ers! :D

New Zealand will be quite alike to Tasmania. You always take a light coat in case it changes during the day and if you can pack gloves and beanie just in case. Of course you also need some summer clothes too. layering is really the way to go.

There is a good old saying here (and I imagine it would apply to NZ) "If you do not like the weather just wait 20 minutes and it may be different".

We're sailing to NZ on Nov 27 on the Pacific Pearl. I expect it will be fairly cool, but just how cold can it get? Do I need to pack winter coats, or should we be ok with just jeans and windcheaters? We're mostly doing the south island and also calling at Wellington.

Thanks for asking the question. We're on that cruise and were wondering the same thing. :)

I agree with rkmw. We also have been to NZ many times both land and cruise based. Last year we were on Diamond Princess in January. The south island around Milford and Dunedin we found freezing. Milford had high winds, with a chill factor, but from inside the ship it appeared sunny. The ship will give out blankets up on deck, and hot chocolate and other hot drinks. Dunedin was foggy, wet, windy and also freezing for most of the day, with a couple of hours midday on beautiful but still crisp. I needed a heavy parka, layers and thermals for these two places. Further up around Christchurch, a bit warmer and less wind, ie jeans, capris, tshirt, jumper/cardigan and perhaps wind jacket/light raincoat. The north Island is warmer, but also tends to rain at odd times. We have never had hot days like in Oz over there. If going to Wellington (my favourite), don't bother lugging an umbrella along, useless......it is known as the windy city, and after a week there earlier this year, I can say that windy it is, all the time.

So....layers are the go, and if you can take a parka you will use it down south for sure.

Jen

Wow! I'd better get out the coats then! That sounds colder than a Melbourne winter! I might have to hit the op shops. My daughter has managed to lose all of her windcheaters, my son doesn't have a coat, and of course there are no warm clothes available in the shops at the moment :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the advice.

Wow! I'd better get out the coats then! That sounds colder than a Melbourne winter! I might have to hit the op shops. My daughter has managed to lose all of her windcheaters, my son doesn't have a coat, and of course there are no warm clothes available in the shops at the moment :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the advice.

We lived in Canberra for 6 years so we'll probably be out in our shorts and t-shirts! LOL! Here's hoping for a nice sunny day or two at sea (out of Sydney) before we get to NZ. :)

Here is a link to the weather

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/93891.html

This site gives great weather info for NZ - same as the bureau of meteorology in Oz

http://www.metservice.com/national/index

Currently a gale warning in force for Milford Sound area

http://www.metservice.com/marine/coastal/milford

But wunderground.com will give you almanac info - you can look at particular dates for past years.

Archived