If tips are so important, include them in the cost of the cruise

mk695

If tips are so important, then just include them in the cost of the cruise.

But, wait, for "business" reasons, they'd like to be able to quote a low entry price and then tack on taxes, fees, and tips later to make it up to the price they want in the first place.

None of these so called add-on charges are optional. Of course they will tell you the "tips" are optional, but then everyone in the cruise industry and their shils posting on these boards will inundate you with heavy manipulation to "encourage" you to tip the "optional" amount.

IF IT IS SO DAMN IMPORTANT JUST INCLUDE IT IN THE COST OF THE CRUISE!!!!!!!

We should encourage our legislators to create a law that requires businesses to quote the final price that one has to pay.

so i guess anarchy is the answer?

With your leaping ability you'll surely go overboard.

Actually the math is very simple. Fare + taxes + port charges. Add to that $11.50 X number of passengers per day for the gratuity. A PVP or TA can give you the exact number for the actual cruise. You may remove the gratuity. Additional cost is transportation to the port by conveyance or personal vehicle. If personal vehicle then add the cost of parking. Anything beyond that is what you want to spend.

But, wait, for "business" reasons, they'd like to be able to quote a low entry price and then tack on taxes, fees, and tips later to make it up to the price they want in the first place.

None of these so called add-on charges are optional. Of course they will tell you the "tips" are optional, but then everyone in the cruise industry and their shils posting on these boards will inundate you with heavy manipulation to "encourage" you to tip the "optional" amount.

We should encourage our legislators to create a law that requires businesses to quote the final price that one has to pay.

There are cruise lines that do include tipping in the price of the cruise fare. Silversea and Cunard come to mind.

So all restaurants, hotels, barber shops, hairdressers, pizza joints, cab companies etc etc etc should be legislated to raise their prices to include gratuities or just cruise lines because that is you're own personal interest.

Cruise lines are the only ones that require you to pay this "optional" tip. Look at the bar charges... just try to remove that 15% tip.

The "optional" tips aren't easily removed -- they are tacked on first and then you need to "complain" to remove them and get the stink eye from staff.

Last time I checked, hairdressers, pizza joints, cab companies, etc. etc. didn't tack the "optional" tip on and then require you to talk with someone to get it removed.

There is a big different in how the cruise lines operate that's why I say include it in the cost of the cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I gladly pay the "optional tip" because I do feel they are earned. But, just included them in the cost of the cruise!!!

With your leaping ability you'll surely go overboard.

Let's stay on topic here, please. Typical response from someone who realizes they have lost the topic argument, to start attacking people personally.

Cruise lines are the only ones that require you to pay this "optional" tip. Look at the bar charges... just try to remove that 15% tip.

The "optional" tips aren't easily removed -- they are tacked on first and then you need to "complain" to remove them and get the stink eye from staff.

Last time I checked, hairdressers, pizza joints, cab companies, etc. etc. didn't tack the "optional" tip on and then require you to talk with someone to get it removed.

There is a big different in how the cruise lines operate that's why I say include it in the cost of the cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I gladly pay the "optional tip" because I do feel they are earned. But, just included them in the cost of the cruise!!!

It's optional.

So because you find it inconvenient it should be legislated? Abusrd.

Fine. And in case some people want to drink, include those costs in the cost of the cruise!!! And what about those who choose to gamble? We should include those costs in the price of the cruise, too! And then some are silly enough to purchase photos, gifts, jewelry, tee-shirts, souvenirs, etc. Those costs should be included, too!!! No "hidden" costs anywhere.

I absolutely hate it when I go out to dinner and the restaurant 'hides' the cost of the meal by expecting me to tip my waiter! There should be a law!!!

It's optional.

So because you find it inconvenient it should be legislated? Abusrd.

That's my point is that they really aren't optional with the cruise lines. First they put it on your bill upfront and you have to complain to have it removed. Second, all bar charges have a required gratuity added.

That is different from the rest of the world when it comes to tipping.

Which makes this not a tip... it's just a fee that should be required to be quoted in the price.

And if the bartenders get paid from the tips, then include that cost in our cruise fare too and let us truly optional tips them if we want to.

Fine. And in case some people want to drink, include those costs in the cost of the cruise!!! And what about those who choose to gamble? We should include those costs in the price of the cruise, too! And then some are silly enough to purchase photos, gifts, jewelry, tee-shirts, souvenirs, etc. Those costs should be included, too!!! No "hidden" costs anywhere.

I absolutely hate it when I go out to dinner and the restaurant 'hides' the cost of the meal by expecting me to tip my waiter! There should be a law!!!

All of those things you mention are actually optional. What I'm talking about here is the tips that aren't actually optional.

This logic actually works in reverse too.

So, let's say I stay at a hotel and I didn't use the pool nor the gym. We need seperate fees for those. But, wait that's called a resort fee and it isn't optional either. See, hotels are doing this too.

What about the fee for using the front desk clerk. Or using the concierge. How far does it go? There are 100's if not 1000's of things that can be broken down. Sometimes the cost of something is the normal and practical cost of doing business.

The tip is a normal and practical cost of paying their labor. It's not for something above and beyond of what they've done.

Since when did tips become non optional? Carnival even says you can adjust them.......

Bar tips are not optional.

And I will admit I'm stretching a bit on the optional for the other tips.

They put them on your bill first and then you have to complain to have them removed. That isn't truly optional.

It's designed this way on purpose to make you feel bad about doing it.

I'm just asking since they are so important to their salaries to just include it in the cost of the cruise and then we can all tip optionally for what we believe is good service! (they probably would make more on this plan)

I have a feeling that this thread wont last long...too inflamtory.

My response is, what difference would it make? The end result will be the same. If it makes you feel better *pretend* that the tips are included. I figure in the gas it takes for me to get to the port and home again (or airfare), hotel, the food I consume before board, and of course the tips....to me that is the total cost of my cruise. I dont think about the tips once they are paid. That money is spent, just like my cruise fare. I dont go on a cruise to nickel and dime it to death, I go to relax, have fun and forget my troubles for a while.

I don't think we need anymore laws, but I do agree that the tips should be made a standard part of the cost of the cruise.

you don't have to complain to take the tips off. Last time we went on a cruise with our son and his 2 kids he took one of the kids tips off. there was no questions asked, no hassle, he didn't have to complain Now I wished he hadn't done that but he did and we left extra cash to try and make up for it.

I have always included them in to the cost of my cruise.

They should be included in the cost that you are quoted not something that is added on later. Yes, you can prepay tips, but it's still not in the quoted cost.

My point is that if its so important for staff to get the tips, just include it in the quoted cost of the cruise and not make it optional.

you don't have to complain to take the tips off. Last time we went on a cruise with our son and his 2 kids he took one of the kids tips off. there was no questions asked, no hassle, he didn't have to complain Now I wished he hadn't done that but he did and we left extra cash to try and make up for it.

well it was nice you had a good experiencing removing tips.

my point is that tips should be required if they are so important to staff. that is why the cruise line tacks them on.

they are not truly optional unless they weren't tacked on automatically in the first place.

Archived