Tell me about the WI FI/ INTERNET ACCESS!

joybaby

Any info on the WI FI/internet access? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joyce

All MSC ships except the Melody now have wifi internet access in the cabins and public areas. The Melody has it only in the public areas. There are two or three cost structures; I usually opt for the 500 minutes for €60 (minus MSC Club discount). Not the fastest but internet on cruise ships never is.

• 1 month later...

Yup, internet service would depend on the technical/internet infrastructure on the particular ship (age of IT equipment), which satellite it is connecting to, weather conditions, etc.

I used internet on a Carnival ship this year (Pacific/Mexico), and found that internet connectivity was even better than at home in Los Angeles. Also found it was cheaper to do Skype than to do telephone calls to land from cabin telephone. Skype video quality was very clear.

Obvious one is to make sure you do all your e-mails before you connect, and that they are sitting in your Outbox waiting to go, then when you connect, they will automatically be sent - without your wasting connection time while you create the e-mails. Always make sure you "LOG-OFF" the connection as soon as you are done - otherwise it will continue to use up your minutes.

Hi

I was onboard of the Poesia for a carribean cruise beginning of december. I try to use the wifi in the cabin on deck 10 but nothing was detected by my PC. In the cabin you have an ethernet connection near the TV and I had my own cable for connection with me ( available on board but you pay for).

I prepared my mail with Word or any tool out of connection and connect to to a copy in my new mail.

You save time like that. I also disable the automatic virus update which take time also and slow the line.

The flow rate is rather good ( I was surpised) but may be because I used the cable.:)

best regards

Archived