So is the new tipping rate screwing the crew over now?

Carnivals tips are now $11.50 and NCL's daily service charge is $12.00. So they can pay musicians double out of that extra $.50?

NCL's FAQ's say you can adjust the daily service charge if you tell them of a problem and it is not corrected to your satisfaction.

From NCL's FAQ:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges

Bill

However they do it, NCL does pay almost double... I imagine it come more from a higher fare... There is no arguing that they pay more... People just keep throwing up figures as a way to justify them not wanting to tip on Carnival... The only reason I said that was the poster was saying that her sons friend was getting a $3000 a month contract from NCL and she was upset at the idea of tipping that person... That position wouldn't pay that much at Carnival and no one knows if that person will be getting a share of the new $1 a day tip... My guess is no... Hosts and dancers don't even come close to that salary so I'm "guessing" that they are the entertainers in the pool.... That guess is based on them performing duties outside of what they are hired for...

Every penny that every employee gets on a ship comes from the passengers in one way or another... I truely don't understand why this is such a big deal to some people.... It would make a lot more sense just to raise the base fare but they didn't...

However they do it, NCL does pay almost double... I imagine it come more from a higher fare... There is no arguing that they pay more... People just keep throwing up figures as a way to justify them not wanting to tip on Carnival... The only reason I said that was the poster was saying that her sons friend was getting a $3000 a month contract from NCL and she was upset at the idea of tipping that person... That position wouldn't pay that much at Carnival and no one knows if that person will be getting a share of the new $1 a day tip... My guess is no... Hosts and dancers don't even come close to that salary so I'm "guessing" that they are the entertainers in the pool.... That guess is based on them performing duties outside of what they are hired for...

Every penny that every employee gets on a ship comes from the passengers in one way or another... I truely don't understand why this is such a big deal to some people.... It would make a lot more sense just to raise the base fare but they didn't...

Sure it would but this way if people remove tips,they don't have to pay out or they have an less than full sailing.

They could tell everyone that people removed the tips and not have to pay them anything at all.How would the crew know,its not like there is a list of people who removed the tips,CCL swears it does not exist,so if they lie on that point,than everything they state we would doubt then.:D

With 24 ships to fill on a weekly basis they have to keep the base price as low as possible.

If they raised the prices then it would appear to some to be too much and not book even though they are going to be charged the money at some point once on the ship.

Also if they raised the base price they would have to pay out a commission to TA's on that price increase.

If they added the tip money into the base price and the ship isn't filling and they have to discount the prices to where they are now and still have to put out the money out of the discounted fare the bottom line would be affected .

Bill

I remember when you left a tip for good service.

Sigh..............

I do too. Now it seems like everyone expects a tip no matter what the job is or how the service was. I've even seen a tip jar at the cash register? I do the shopping, bring it to the counter and because you ring me up I should give you a tip?

With 24 ships to fill on a weekly basis they have to keep the base price as low as possible.

If they raised the prices then it would appear to some to be too much and not book even though they are going to be charged the money at some point once on the ship.

Also if they raised the base price they would have to pay out a commission to TA's on that price increase.

If they added the tip money into the base price and the ship isn't filling and they have to discount the prices to where they are now and still have to put out the money out of the discounted fare the bottom line would be affected .

Bill

You have covered all the bases perfectly.

So in their efforts,they put the crew at risk. If once onboard,people don't like that additional charge (tips) they can remove them and CCL won't care because they got what they wanted.

You have covered all the bases perfectly.

So in their efforts,they put the crew at risk. If once onboard,people don't like that additional charge (tips) they can remove them and CCL won't care because they got what they wanted.

Presumable people will only remove the extra charge for alternative dining and keep the tips for wait staff and stewards.

If tips go away in large amounts they will have to go to another method to keep their employees.

Presumable people will only remove the extra charge for alternative dining and keep the tips for wait staff and stewards.

If tips go away in large amounts they will have to go to another method to keep their employees.

We can hope that is the case but when they are actually at the pursers doing it,how far will they go?

I can remember as a young man in Ireland - a long time ago -debates on whether tipping should be allowed in restaurants or be replaced by a modest mandatory service charge the argument being that tipping was demeaning. In the event tipping prevailed and is now main stream - but nearer to 10% then American levels.

I have been influenced by this. I tip - but on the basis of quality of service. I do not see giving a tip as mandatory or an entitlement on behalf of the recipient.Its the employers responsibility to pay his staff a living wage.

Turning to cruising, I go with the recommendation and pay the suggested sum if I am happy with the service which is nearly always.

My favourite cruise line is Oceania and in the last year they have taken to bombarding me with email offers of " prepaid gratuities" or "$1000 on board credit". However when I booked this year for a Christmas Cruise there was no " prepaid gratuities" or no credit .

I am beginning to think that gratuities are being used by Oceanis a a marketing / pricing tool. They pay when business is slow. You pay when there is high demand and little discount. I am beginning to think why should I go along with this. I would much prefer to tip good people direct

Archived