Where to go when Coz is crowded!?!

curlymason

I just heard that the day we'll be in Cozumel there will be 8 ships with around 24,000 passengers in port. That is making me rethink my plan to just grab a taxi to Paradise Beach. I have the feeling it will be slammed, and I would prefer to go somewhere less crowded. An AI would be wasted on us since we most likely wouldn't drink enough for it to be worthwhile. Any other suggestions??

Rent a car and spend the day on the eastern side of the island. Stop first at Mezcalitos at the end of the cross-island road, then head south where you will find a number of "less-traveled" and more rustic beach facilities. As you head back north after circling the southern tip of the island, stop at playa palancar-one of our favorites. If you rent, be sure to select comprehensive coverage. Don't know how the prices will be with 8 ships in port, but in July, 2010 we rented a jeep for $76 for the day. Have done this several times and despite the occasional horror stories, have never had a problem.

Rent a car and spend the day on the eastern side of the island. Stop first at Mezcalitos at the end of the cross-island road, then head south where you will find a number of "less-traveled" and more rustic beach facilities. As you head back north after circling the southern tip of the island, stop at playa palancar-one of our favorites. If you rent, be sure to select comprehensive coverage. Don't know how the prices will be with 8 ships in port, but in July, 2010 we rented a jeep for $76 for the day. Have done this several times and despite the occasional horror stories, have never had a problem.

Just do your homework on this first....renting a car in Mexico can be a bit different than in the states.

Take another look at an AI like Nachi Cocom - uncrowded (limited to 100 guests), great service, good food, unlimited drinks - including sodas and bottled waters when you've had enough of the beer and frozen drinks, nice beach, nice pool, warm hot tub :rolleyes:, and clean facilities - a great place to spend the day, swim, read a book, eat, drink and relax.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought about renting a car, but I've seen how they drive in Cozumel, and the thought of me driving in that scares me to death lol.

I'll give another look at Nachi. It's a possibility. We're going snorkeling at our two other ports, so I didn't really want to do that at Coz...although we have used Eagle Ray Divers in the past and loved them!

Just do your homework on this first....renting a car in Mexico can be a bit different than in the states.

Unless you rent from avis, with comprehensive coverage, then it's just like in the states.

Archived