snorkeling

skooch

My boyfriend and I really want to go snorkeling in Roatan. Can anyone recommend who to go with? I was thinking about Salt n Pepper, but have been hearing bad reviews lately. Not sure who to go with, I don't want to go with the cruise excursion.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

THere is great snorkeling about a five minute walk from Foster's. YOu can rent snorkel equipment for five bucks, and walk down to the rocks.

IT is excellent and there are dudes in kayaks throwing bread into the water.

The fish are colorful and the water was very calm.

Folks...snorkeling on Roatan can be done pretty much anywhere. We are surrounded by the coral reef, and you can rent out the gear every 20 feet at a different place....and for cheap.

Either WEST END or WEST BAY can offer you lots of little fishies...

Some snorkeling spots can be busier than others (i.e. Tabyana) due to the sometimes abundance of cruiseship customers in one spot.

Simply look for a place where there is not a lot of people...and believe me, there are lots of 'em.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
So you can go to Tabayana BEach and pay an entrance fee and snorkel without a ship excursion? You can go on your own? Anyone?

Tabayana Beach is part of WEST BAY beach. The Tabayana ship beach excursion, like the Salt n Pepper ship beach excursion, all go to the same beach (which is quite longggg). REMEMBER! All beaches are free on Roatan. These tour companies merely include transportation, food and gear, to make life simpler for those not wanting to arrange things themselves.

You cannot go to Tabayana beach and pay an entrance fee, because all the beaches are free for all the visit and use. If you go alone, and get to ANY beach, you can easily rent out snorkeing gear, rent out a beach chair, and have a nice lunch on numerous beaches all over the island.

It's really up to you. Either book it through the ship, and you will arrive with a 100 or so other people on buses, enjoying a great day at WEST BAY beach, OR..

go on you OWN to ANY beach on the island, and enjoy a great day with a whole lot less people.

IF you are going to go on your own, transportation can be had by simply getting a taxi....or AHEM!!!! renting scooters or motorcycles!! :cool:

I hope that helps.

Thank you so much! I want to snorkel for free and I guess this is the place! SoI will bring a cooler with snacks and drinks! Thank you!

So is the reef nice? Will I see lots of fish?

Hey kchesneylover - my husband I are also on the Valor 10/2/05 and we basically have the same questions.... we love to snorkel and have never been to Roatan so looking for some suggestions on some great places to snorkel.

Captain Van - are there any other "Must do" things to do in Roatan. We have been on a few cruise and are not afraid to get out and explore.... we love to snorkel but have also done Cave tubing in Belize, Mayfield Falls in Jamaica and really had a great time so we're open so some suggestions... how is the zip lining?

Someone recently posted they had an excellent time with Salt and Pepper. I recently e-mailed Paul David and received a prompt response. They will come and pick you up right at the cruise ship, take you to Fosters. You can snorkel and will include a 90 minute snorkel on a boat along with a lobster lunch. You have full use of Fosters' facilities as well.

If you just go to Fosters' you then have to pay for your cab ride there unless you have 8 people and then Fosters will come pick you up.

Rent a cab or a scooter and head to Sandy Bay (on route to West End and West Bay). Take the entrance where the sign is for Sandy Bay Internet Cafe and the Windsurfing school. There are several docks along there for you to place your "stuff". The snorkling is outstanding. Very quiet and unspoiled. You might even want to try Windsurfing! ;)

If you're thirsty or want to email pictures from your cameras go see Roy at the Internet Cafe. He's a local guy who also cooks great bbq! :D You could also walk along the beach toward Anthony's Key Resort.. You may see a dolphin or two.

This area is where a lot of locals and ex-pats live. Everyone is very friendly so if you feel lost just stop and ask someone directions. It's about a 6 minute ride outside of West End, so if you want to be around more people and do some shopping or hang out at a Tiki Bar, it won't take you long.

Remember lots of sunscreen on your back and on your legs when snorkling, I've spent just under an hour out there and have gotten scorched before!! Bug spray is a must too, this is off the beaten path so no spraying happens to stop the sand fleas.

Have a great trip.

Island Dweller

Hey kchesneylover - my husband I are also on the Valor 10/2/05 and we basically have the same questions.... we love to snorkel and have never been to Roatan so looking for some suggestions on some great places to snorkel.

Captain Van - are there any other "Must do" things to do in Roatan. We have been on a few cruise and are not afraid to get out and explore.... we love to snorkel but have also done Cave tubing in Belize, Mayfield Falls in Jamaica and really had a great time so we're open so some suggestions... how is the zip lining?

There is lots to do on Roatan. It all depends on what you are into.

Remember, you are only here for a few hours.

With my customers, I strongly suggest to them that they see as much of the island as possible. Compared to the rest of the Western Caribbean ports, Roatan is super lush and tropical. It's a beautiful island. The views are spectacular!!!!

Along the way there are lots of attractions. Check out the websites dedicated to Roatan, in addition to the link on my own website homepage...which shows you a couple of ideas with animation and audio!!!

If you want to know more, you will have to get in touch with me via email, as I am not allowed to sell my services on this website.

Thanks!:)

I think we are planning on going to the West End - Tabayana beach - for some snorkeling. Is this just the cruise ship beach or can we go there too on our own? Also thought if we have time we might do some zip lining here.... I think I read somewhere they had a place to do this here. Anyone know what the cost is? Captain Van - could you post the link to your website....

There are 2 zip lines on the island. The newest one in French Harbour, is $45.

Please remember that Tabayana is not in WEST END, but in WEST BAY, and I would suggest you read my posting from AUG 30th again.

I would love to help you with your visit to Roatan, but I am not allowed to post my email address, or my website address in this forum (rules...rules).

I think if you "PASS OVER" my signature below, you will find a clue to how to find my website.

There are 2 zip lines on the island. The newest one in French Harbour, is $45.

Please remember that Tabayana is not in WEST END, but in WEST BAY, and I would suggest you read my posting from AUG 30th again.

I would love to help you with your visit to Roatan, but I am not allowed to post my email address, or my website address in this forum (rules...rules).

I think if you "PASS OVER" my signature below, you will find a clue to how to find my website.

Okay thank you Captain Van - I will try that.

Hey Murray, can you tell me how long the zip lines last ? I am interested in doing that, but my wife is afraid of heights, + she is pregnant.

Also, do you have anything you could e-mail me about the island?

jessie073, & Kchesneylover, I will be sailing on the 18th , and I will do my best to let y'all know how it went.

If you are interested, I could also e-mail you after my cruise, and tell you about it.

Hey Murray, can you tell me how long the zip lines last ? I am interested in doing that, but my wife is afraid of heights, + she is pregnant.

Also, do you have anything you could e-mail me about the island?

jessie073, & Kchesneylover, I will be sailing on the 18th , and I will do my best to let y'all know how it went.

If you are interested, I could also e-mail you after my cruise, and tell you about it.

Thanks FFKampy - I am definitely curious so please email when you get back: jessie.johnson@westin.com. Also interested on what method you decide to use for transportation. Are you just planning to go zip lining or snorkeling also?

Jessie, I had decided to use Captain Van's even before I saw he was a member on this board.

My wife & I are "ol' pros" at snorkeling, so we will definintely go snorkeling while there. I am trying to figure out how I can go on the zip-line without leaving her alone. As bad as I want to do the zip-lines, it is secondary to getting in the water.

I'll let you know as quickly as possible when I return.

Jessie, I had decided to use Captain Van's even before I saw he was a member on this board.

My wife & I are "ol' pros" at snorkeling, so we will definintely go snorkeling while there. I am trying to figure out how I can go on the zip-line without leaving her alone. As bad as I want to do the zip-lines, it is secondary to getting in the water.

I'll let you know as quickly as possible when I return.

FFKampy -

Sounds great - we're "ol' pros" :) at snorkelign too so I'm curious about where you decide to go.

Jessie ,here is my quick tip of today. HAHA

Anyway , we learned this lesson , just outside of the main tourist area of Cozumel. We hailed a cab with another couple, just getting off the ferry from Playa del Carmen.

We saw a nice little spot along the side of the road, so we got out with our gear to snorkel around. At the time we had full foot style fins, and had to walk out to the water bare-footed. It was a little difficult to traverse the rocks close to shore.

What I am doing this trip is: I am bringing the open heel style fins, and I bought a cheap pair of Aqua shoes from Dick's with a hard rubber sole with traction. Now if we find a spot, we can walk out on the rocks to where we can put our fins on in the water.

See ya next time, Marc

Jessie ,here is my quick tip of today. HAHA

Anyway , we learned this lesson , just outside of the main tourist area of Cozumel. We hailed a cab with another couple, just getting off the ferry from Playa del Carmen.

We saw a nice little spot along the side of the road, so we got out with our gear to snorkel around. At the time we had full foot style fins, and had to walk out to the water bare-footed. It was a little difficult to traverse the rocks close to shore.

What I am doing this trip is: I am bringing the open heel style fins, and I bought a cheap pair of Aqua shoes from Dick's with a hard rubber sole with traction. Now if we find a spot, we can walk out on the rocks to where we can put our fins on in the water.

See ya next time, Marc

Thanks for the tip of the day :) Yes - good advice - we always bring some type of water shoes to wear in our fins - I stepped on some fire coral or something on one of my first cruises and it was painful to even wear shoes for the rest of the cruise. You could image how I looked on formal night all dressed up wearing flip flops!!! :)

Someone mentioned sand fleas in there post in this thread. Is there anyway to keep them at bay. We were in Roatan 2 years ago and several people on the ship were bitten badly. We were bitten a couple of times.While we were at Foster's snorkeling. I had a couple on my face that were painful. Is there anything anyone can recommend that works to keep them from biting.

:cool: Suzy-Q

NCL Wind 2003

Someone mentioned sand fleas in there post in this thread. Is there anyway to keep them at bay. We were in Roatan 2 years ago and several people on the ship were bitten badly. We were bitten a couple of times.While we were at Foster's snorkeling. I had a couple on my face that were painful. Is there anything anyone can recommend that works to keep them from biting.

:cool: Suzy-Q

NCL Wind 2003

Suzy-Q..... I live on Roatan, and what works best for me, is to spray with Deep Woods Off every morning and at dusk. It works for both the "skeeters" and the fleas....

Others might suggest Cactus Juice or other natural remedies..Unfortunately, they do not work me...

Archived