Need help for car-service at newark airport

marydallas

I would love recommendation of a car service for a pick up at newark airport to take us to staten island motel. A few years ago i hired a service with the name "black" (????) in their name (i think). Have lost all paperwork on that cruise, so desperately need your help. Thank you very much. Mary

Black Executive Cars is what you're looking for. What hotel are you staying at on Staten Island? The Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens have a free Newark Airport shuttle. I don't know what you're paying for your motel, but a free shuttle could make the HI or HG price competitive.

Are you cruising? These hotels also offer port transportation.

Thank you so much. I think you hit the nail on the head with the name i was looking for. About the shuttle service from the hga or hi...that was one reason we booked with the hampton way back in feb.. We were told not to call until about 30 days before we want to have shuttle pick us up our cruise will sail on nov 30, so my daughter called them to set-up a shuttle pickup from the airport about 6pm only to be told that they d o n o t pick up at airport between 5pm and 8pm....!!!! Isn't that something???? Anyhoo that is why we are going to hire a car. By the bye....we are set up with the hotel for shuttle to the pier...so thankful that did not fall thru. Thanks again for your help.. Mary

That sucks. No one has ever mentioned that these hotels don't service the airport between 5 and 8 PM.

Have you prepaid the Hampton? It's not too late to change your plans. I'm seeing a 2.5* hotel on Hotwire for $82 + tax that is very highly likely to be Country Inns (breakfast) and a 3* hotel for $72 that is highly likely to be the Sheraton (no breakfast). Both hotels are often on Hotwire and have airport shuttles that run 7x24. You can call Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0 to arrange port transportation for $40 each way for up to 4 people. I've done a driveby of the HI on SI and it was a nice looking hotel in a nice area, but IMO it's really out of the way unless you're ditching your car there for a long cruise. If you're flying in and you have to pay extra to get there, then it wouldn't be worth it to me. Change your hotel and spend your time arranging port transportation.

thank you for your comments. i am going to see what a "car service" will charge to take us from airport to hi on si...if it is $40.00 than it will be "wash" as we do get free shuttle to pier so either way it will be $40.00.????.. we"ll see. also, the the motels - hampton and hilton s h a r e one shuttle!!! it is based at the hilton. What would travel be without "surprises"??? must keep a sense of humor..(it beats crying, eh). thanks again, mary

I'd be surprised if it were $40. The Goethals Bridge toll is now $12 plus there is some turnpike toll. It's also about 11 miles, which is the distance from EWR to Bayonne, so I'm betting you get quotes of $50-55 + tolls + tip.

Hi there

this is what i found...(as you said,, no $40.00 rate). Rhw rated ranged from $139.00 to $65.00 and that incl tolls. The $65.oo rate was from the contact you gave me. (independent driver).. There will be 4 of us (2 couples) - so if we go half and half would be close to $40.00 apiece w/tip. Made hotel reseration last feb... "crs" so will check to see if it is refundable. Will go from there. Many many thanks

Hello again. I am considering your suggestion to cancel and rebook rooms in newark. Have been looking at the robert treat hotel??? Also, you gave me the name of the car company, independent driver, and i found them to be soooo much cheaper than all the others (thank you)..do you find them to be equally as reliable??? Thanks. Mary

The Robert Treat is in downtown Newark. It's not a hotel I would recommend for folks who are flying in and sailing from Bayonne. It's really best for folks who want to go in and out of Manhattan.

At this point in time I'd rather see you look at Hotwire. For 11/29 there are 2 hotels out there - the 3* hotel for $72 which is highly likely to be the Sheraton (amenities are smoke free, airport shuttle, fitness, pool, restuarant, business, and internet) and the 2.5* hotel for $82 which is highly likely to be Country Inns (amenities are shuttle, breakfast, fitness, pool, laundry, and internet). These hotels appear all the time on Hotwire and are very good deals. I would spend a little more money and go with Country Inns because they offer a free breakfast and are next to Jersey Gardens Mall with a Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP next door plus a restaurant in the Courtyard. I have stayed at both hotels and either one would be fine. We can't figure out why Country Inns is a 2.5* hotel - it's a 3* on other booking sites. It's very popular with cruisers and you will have a chance of meeting others who are sailing with you.

Independent Driver will pick up at Country Inns - some other folks have used them. I'm sure they might be able to pick you up in Newark, but the price might be more because it is farther away. They make their money by using larger vehicles to make the same trip to the port with more people than the private car services.

Appreciated your advice. Guess we will back-off of the robert treat there are 3 couples of us....so i have to do some coordinating and that always makes it more f u n!!! Looked on trip advisor to see what they said about sheraton--- sorry to report they didn't give it very good reviews...am going to check country inns. Will keep you up to date on how we're doing with all the help you've given us. Mary

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton for several years. I really liked the lobby and the full service aspect of the hotel worked well for us at the time. We also left our car there for a week. You have to understand that many folks who post on Trip Advisor either pay top dollar for this hotel or get dumped there by an airline when there are flight issues, which makes them cranky. I stayed at Country Inns a year ago for 2 nights and was very happy with it. My only complaint was that their lobby was very small - no place to hang out, but that's really minor. I would definitely choose Country Inns.

The prices have changed. The 3* is now $79 and the 2.5* is $80. If you don't make a decision soon, you will lose the chance and will end up paying a lot more money for a very similar hotel. Everything else I'm seeing that I would recommend is in the $150 range. There are also a lot of hotels out there that I would not recommend.

yeah the Sheraton reviews are not sooo hot, but the Wyndham has some very good, recent reviews.....and several are from NOT new reviewers (meaning, not one-hit wonders who may tend to trash a place...)

it MIGHT be an acceptable option for someone on a budget...again, i thought it was decent and the rooms weren't bad....(the one review that says small rooms is a surprise, i thought they were a good size..and i saw about 5!)

while i still wouldn't park there (the lot is kind of small and smushy) perhaps it would be OK....[again, not really a place i'd pick, but it seems to be gaining in popularity]

yeah the Sheraton reviews are not sooo hot, but the Wyndham has some very good, recent reviews.....and several are from NOT new reviewers (meaning, not one-hit wonders who may tend to trash a place...)

it MIGHT be an acceptable option for someone on a budget...again, i thought it was decent and the rooms weren't bad....(the one review that says small rooms is a surprise, i thought they were a good size..and i saw about 5!)

while i still wouldn't park there (the lot is kind of small and smushy) perhaps it would be OK....[again, not really a place i'd pick, but it seems to be gaining in popularity]

HI 138 EAST....I MUST TELL YOU HOW OUR "STORY ENDED". MY DAUGHTER (who had been in England the past 3 weeks) GOT HOME AND IMMEDIATELY CALLED THE HGI MANAGER. SHE TOLD HIM OUT STORY ABOUT BOOKING WAY BACK IN FEB. BECAUSE OF THEIR ADVERTISED "AIRPORT SHUTTLE" AND NOW...THEY SAY "NO" SHUTTLE FOR US??? HE FINALLY RELENTED IN A VERY NICE MANNER AND SAID HE WOULD HAVE A SHUTTLE TO MEET US AT THE AIRPORT TUES. EVE NOV 29, AT 6:30 PM. NOW, I CALL THAT GOOD "PR"...AND VERY GOOD LUCK FOR US!!! AGAIN, I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR ALL YOU PRECIOUS TIME HELPING ME WITH GREAT ADVICE. IF I COULD I WOULD SEND YOU A BIG BOUQUET OF FLOWERS. MARY

hi 138 east....i must tell you how our "story ended". My daughter (who had been in england the past 3 weeks) got home and immediately called the hgi manager. She told him out story about booking way back in feb. Because of their advertised "airport shuttle" and now...they say "no" shuttle for us??? He finally relented in a very nice manner and said he would have a shuttle to meet us at the airport tues. Eve nov 29, at 6:30 pm. Now, i call that good "pr"...and very good luck for us!!! Again, i can't thank you enough for all you precious time helping me with great advice. If i could i would send you a big bouquet of flowers. Mary

meg 1125. How terribly wrong i was to address you as "138 east" i deserve 40 lashes and be made to walk the gang plank.!!! At 81 yrs young i feel my mind is on its way to imploding. All my "mea culpas" and now i will send you bushels of flowers instead of just a bouquet. Again please forgive me. Mary

Archived