Alaska

mimk3

My hsuband and I are looking to book a cruise to Alaska. We would like to do a 14 day cruise, and one that has Sitka as a stop. I am having difficulty finding many that meet those desires. Does anyone have any suggestions on cruise line and/or which trip.

Holland America's Amsterdam does 14 day itineraries -- round trip out of Seattle. Ports include Ketchika, Juneau, Sitka, Icy Straight Point, Anchorage, Kodiak, Homer, Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm.

We did this cruise June 2011 and have already booked it for 2012. Loved it.

Another option to look at are HAL's cruises that leave Vancouver and go to Seward -- 7 days. And then cruise back from Seward to Vancouver -- another 7 days. But these itineraries report some ports.

Thank you for your input. That is the only one I have been able to find. We did a 7 day with Celebrity from Seward. It was awesome, but just not enough time away...lol.:D

I am hoping we can book this one. Krazy Kruizers, what month did you go? We went the first part of June, and it was great. I hear that you may see more wildlife, whales etc from mid June through July....any comment?

My recommendation is that you do a cruise and land tour of Alaska - that will last 2 weeks. The land part is incredible - equally as good as the cruise part and the cruiselines really take care of you - put you on a private train and you stay at an incredible lodge and really get to see the heart of Alaska.

Loved our HAL Alaska cruise (7 day) that included Sitka (and we were in our 30s at the time), and agree with SuiteTraveler that a cruisetour would be great. There are a couple of other lines that offer Sitka as a port of call: Regent's 'Navigator' has an 11 nt. on 5/1/12, American Cruise Line's 'Spirit' sails an 11 nt. on 6/2/12 (100 passengers!), and SilverSea has a 7 day in June. Price-wise I'm sure HAL would be best, and they offer an amazing Alaska experience.

You will generally see more wildlife in the spring/early season, but anytime in Alaska is a good time. Keep in mind that you are going up there for the stunning scenery, and make the cruise as relaxing or exciting as you want. In a word, the weather is unpredictable. It can rain every day in July, and weather in September can be sunny and gorgeous- even warm. I'm a warm weather person and I've been to Alaska twice. :)

Archived