Did you have fun? Please help me address my SIL's concerns!

Maryscooking

We took our oldest, now 4, on her first cruise on Holland America (which isn't known to be kid friendly) when she was 14 months old. It was a wonderful time! I would think that with so many family members on board her son wouldn't need to go to the nursery (thus she wouldn't need to spend that money). I have been working for YEARS to get ANY member of my family to join us on a cruise, and no dice yet. I don't think it's in the cards for me, and I'm REALLY jealous of you right now. LOL

It sounds like the cruise is a done deal if you already have excursions booked. If that is the case, this would be my personal approach to ease her mind. (We have had an almost identical situation as you)

It sounds like your SIL is nervous about taking ANY kind of vacation if you ask me. If her child would be reluctant to go to a kids club etc. then no matter what vacation you go on, they won't get much time without a child, therefore she wouldn't get to fully take advantage of the vacation.

Not sure what other ideas you guys had for vacations, but at least a cruise on Allure provides the option for some child care. True, the child may not take to it well, but the only way to know is to try it. Most other vacations don't provide this option at all.

If it doesn't work out, there will still be plenty of things for everyone to enjoy even with a child. We took our 13 month old on the Voyager of the Seas which doesn't have a nursery, and still had a great time (just not like it is vacationing without children!).

I so appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences, memories and photos.

Yup - that is a very neat part. I always smile when I think how fascinated my DGS was when he discovered steps that you could see through. He loved the glass elevators too.

This reminds me of one of my favorite moments from my daughter's first cruise. She was three, and she kept asking when we were going to get on the ship - even after we were on board and on our way! It was just so far out of her concept of what a boat was that she didn't quite get it.

One night right before dinner, we went to the restroom:

P1000770.jpg

While I was washing my hands, she leaned her forehead against that window, then turned around and exclaimed "Hey momma, I think we're MOVING!"

Ha! My 2.5 year old on our last cruise insisted for the first couple days that we were not on a boat but on a "Swimming House".

I so appreciate everyone who has shared their experiences, memories and photos.

This reminds me of one of my favorite moments from my daughter's first cruise. She was three, and she kept asking when we were going to get on the ship - even after we were on board and on our way! It was just so far out of her concept of what a boat was that she didn't quite get it.

One night right before dinner, we went to the restroom:

-snip-

While I was washing my hands, she leaned her forehead against that window, then turned around and exclaimed "Hey momma, I think we're MOVING!"

My family is trying to plan a trip on the Allure of the Seas for next June. Different families will have an 8 month old, a 20 month old, and a two year old, and they are all leary of going on a cruise with a baby. Here is what my SIL wrote:

I checked out all of your links, and it looks really nice. I am just not sure how Dave and I are going to it pull off with Jackson. I know they have a nursery and stuff, but it took him over a month to get used to his daycare, and I don't see him doing well being left with people he doesn't know. I can't figure out how we would be able to take advantage of what a cruise has to offer, and enjoy ourselves with a 1 1/2 year old.

Can people who have cruised with the two and under set, especially on Allure or Oasis (but any ship is ok), please share your experience? I'd love to be able to just show her this thread and put her mind at ease.

From this and other comments you have made in this thread, it sounds as if these people are determined to have a bad time and will make it unpleasant for everyone else. If they do not want to come, their loss and your gain.

BTW - I personally would not do a cruise w a 1 1/2 year old but that is just my opinion.

DON

From this and other comments you have made in this thread, it sounds as if these people are determined to have a bad time and will make it unpleasant for everyone else. If they do not want to come, their loss and your gain.

BTW - I personally would not do a cruise w a 1 1/2 year old but that is just my opinion.

DON

Well I would say that they have no idea what to expect from this cruise and are still adjusting to the idea of what vacation is with a toddler, but I don't think they are determined to have a bad time. They are planning on coming. If they are unhappy once on board, and let having their 1 1/2 yr old with them ruin their time, well lucky for us it is a big ship :) Its not going to affect my vacation.

Seriously though, I think we'll be well prepared (my SIL researches things as well) and they will have a good time.

I can understand your SIL's reluctance if she is concerned about her toddler's temperament. If he doesn't handle change in routines well, is hard to settle down or cries a lot, then it may not be an ideal age for them to travel. On the other hand, if he is easy going, the reluctance may stem from not knowing what to expect and how to handle it.

Cruising with kids, especially toddlers is definitely different than travelling BC (before children,) but half of the fun is seeing the world through their eyes.

Another factor, and I am not saying that this is an issue with your family, but travelling with family can amplify a whole host of parenting and psychological issues. If new parents are less than confident in their new role, or if parents and grandparents have very different parenting philosophies; it can be stressful to travel together. The close proximity, expectations of certain behavior in the dining room, or expectations of how much time everyone should spend together can lead to hurt feelings. A multigenerational trip can be rife with hard feelings... or can create a wealth of wonderful memories. Sometimes it can be hard for family to be excited to vacation together.

Don't get me wrong, it can be wonderful; I have wonderful memories of a trip to Alaska with my MIL, SIL, DH and 2 DS's ages 5 & 8, but family dynamics are what they are, and going with your eyes wide open and expectations discussed beforehand can make for a great trip.

Just some thoughts... hope it helps.

N.

Archived