How to avoid purchasing photos on board?

• 2 months later...

The photographers aren't cruise-line employees, they are often subcontractors. Their pay is directly related to the number of photos that people pay for -- which is why they cajole you to come in, and they take more than one shot.

Asking them to use your camera takes money directly out of their pockets, and is why they shoot quickly, from close in, and then stay nearby while you shift positions (so that your friends don't have a chance to snap a shot from over their shoulder)

There are plenty of pretty railings, staircases, columns, bookshelves and doorways for pictures, so snap away -- but give the employees the chance to earn a paycheck.

That said, I rarely buy the candid beach-chair or gangway shots (I can take them myself!) but will splurge on a decent 'portrait'.

Edited by Sue Do-Over

If you cruise a few times you'll notice they all look the same after awhile. The wife brings a camera, or use to. First cruise she took like 20-30 pictures, 2nd cruise 5 years later she took like 12 pictures, last cruise we took (2012). Never took a one. If my sister onboard never took a picture of my wife, I and 8 year old daughter in Belize, it would be tough to prove I cruised !

Oh and don't try to take your own pics at their set ups as thy get really angry about this. We always find it hysterical to watch ppl get shooed away lol.

It's much more interesting to have reall places as the background anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a picture nut. I can't help it. If you buy pictures from NCL, you can call them as soon as you get home and ask them to email you a copyright letter so you can then take your pictures to Walmart or wherever and have them duplicated. I asked and they did it in about 5 minutes. Disney wouldn't do it but NCL did.

As far as taking a picture of your picture, how cheap can you be? lol

This brings up an interesting situation I discovered on our last cruise. What in God's name do these photographers think when they put a "fake" magazine with your picture on it with the magazine title spelled wrong! ie: Vague for Vogue or Rolling Stoned for Rolling Stone. They are stupid and I don't know many of our group that bought them.

I really liked one picture of my husband and I at the railing on the top deck watching the concert. It was on a magazine cover spelled wrong. I went to the desk and asked the Rep to please reprint it with the "Monsters of Rock" logo on it and I'll buy it, he did and it's a very nice souvenir. He would made a killing with the "Monsters of Rock" logo or even the ship on it, but not a fake magazine cover, they are losing thousands of $$$ in sales.

This brings up an interesting situation I discovered on our last cruise. What in God's name do these photographers think when they put a "fake" magazine with your picture on it with the magazine title spelled wrong! ie: Vague for Vogue or Rolling Stoned for Rolling Stone. They are stupid and I don't know many of our group that bought them.

I really liked one picture of my husband and I at the railing on the top deck watching the concert. It was on a magazine cover spelled wrong. I went to the desk and asked the Rep to please reprint it with the "Monsters of Rock" logo on it and I'll buy it, he did and it's a very nice souvenir. He would made a killing with the "Monsters of Rock" logo or even the ship on it, but not a fake magazine cover, they are losing thousands of $$$ in sales.

They're not stupid. If they used the real name, they'd have to 1) ask permission of the real magazine (and often be turned down), and 2) if they get permission, pay royalties or licensing fees. By spelling the name wrong, they don't have to do either of those things. It's by design and it saves them a fortune.

• 2 weeks later...

The photographers are pushy and incessant, and then they post pictures without your permission for 4000 people to see.

Every cruiser has the right to find their photo on the big wall, take it to the counter and ask that it NOT be displayed.

DH hates to have his picture taken but some of our best photos were taken on cruises. In Feb. I begged him to have our pictures taken on formal night. Well, they were horrid pictures! My eyes were closed each time and the poses were ridiculous. No way would I buy those! Those taken in the MDR are still among the best ones. We avoid the photographers at other times.

We sometimes have photos taken when we feel like it and have never had an issue with photographers. We sometimes buy one formal family pose as my mother loves having them.

However on the Royal a couple of weeks ago the photographer in the MDR was quite rude when I politely said no thankyou. I had to be very insistant to get her to move away from our table whilst she shouted at me about cruise traditions!:eek:

The photographers on our last were awful. When we checked out the photos on display many folks were missing the top part of their heads or other body parts! If I am going to spend money on pics they damn better be good!

My main issue with photographers is that they do not take NO for an answer and are extremely obtrusive .When I am trying to enjoy a meal with my family I do not want my

****ing photo taken.On my last trip ( a major land based resort in Dubai) and had to resort to calling security to get them to leave us alone.

I support a civil society and would generally just say no thank you and keep walking ,but a section of this "profession" seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to harass and bully people.

Why to cruise lines persist with this archaic practice in the digital age

• 2 weeks later...
Just to answer your question---just don't buy them.:)

quote]

And don't go look at them!! LOL.

I saw a lady in the gallery taking pictures OF pictures with her cell phone, and nobody was even trying to stop her??

It might have been because the photo staff realized how impossibly bad a picture of a picture taken with a cell phone camera would be. The photo would be unusable.

DON

Scotoco, yes I know what you mean. When we have photos taken of us I just use my small camera rather than giving them my DSLR. I also worry that some might drop the DSLR.

Keith

This happened to us. The fellow vacationer dropped the camera when trying to hand it back to me after snapping the pic. The camera broke. It wasn't a DSLR, but at the time it did cost a few hundred.

• 5 weeks later...

Last cruise a lady (young) was snapping pics with her cell, sending them to her Mom at home asking which to buy. She had over a dozen to purchase and the clerk came buy and told her to move along and pulled the good pics out of her hand tearing them across the top. She actually left in tears...I thought from being "caught". I saw her 2 days later and she remembered me. She asked me to come with her to the photo manager to report the clerk, said guest services told her she could have a few free pics if she found a "witness". I did, she even shared her texts with the manager and she ended up getting 12 pics FREE. So, sometimes the photo folks have very bad days and sometimes that dept can be very kind. (I really did feel bad for her...her Mom has MS and it was her graduation gift from college)