Memory Card Speed & When to buy

Victress2007

Ok, I'm going to buy a Sony HX9V. Will the memory card make a difference in speed? I've read a couple of reviews that say it's a little slow under certain circumstances, so if I'm going to buy a new card I might as well get the right one. What do you say?

Second part of the question, what about sales? Is it likely that the camera will go down in price between now and Christmas? It's pretty much priced at $299 across the board right now, I'm leaning toward Adorama since there is no tax and free shipping.

Thanks!

Vic

Ok, I'm going to buy a Sony HX9V. Will the memory card make a difference in speed? I've read a couple of reviews that say it's a little slow under certain circumstances, so if I'm going to buy a new card I might as well get the right one. What do you say?

Second part of the question, what about sales? Is it likely that the camera will go down in price between now and Christmas? It's pretty much priced at $299 across the board right now, I'm leaning toward Adorama since there is no tax and free shipping.

Thanks!

Vic

The Sony records video at a pretty high frame rate and the 10 fps burst packs a lot of 16mp files away in short order. I use SanDisk Extremes in my HX5V and never felt the need to move up to the faster Pro version. 30 mb/s should be just fine.

FYI, the 30 mb/s Extremes have dropped in price recently...around $20 for 8gb and $30 for 16gb on Amazon.

Dave

Digital point & shoot cameras do NOT need high-speed memory cards. Just get the cheapest name brand card you can find. :)

The HX9V records video at 1080i60 (24mb/s uncompressed) and bursts of full resolution 16MP images at 10 fps which equals or exceeds the requirements of some entry-level DSLRs. I noticed a significant decrease in the time it took to clear the buffer and fewer dropped frames on my HX5V (10MP/10 fps stills and 1080i60 video) using a class 10 SandDisk Extreme versus an older un-classed 2GB SanDisk Ultra. The new upper-end compacts like the Sony HX series, Canon's s95, the Fuji X-100 and the Lumix LX series may not need higher speed cards to snap a single shot, but to use their full functionality, a class 4 card is the minimum required by the manufacturers and a few dollars more for a class 10 will provide a reassuring performance buffer (not to mention quicker uploading of the large files produced).

Dave

• 4 months later...
The HX9V records video at 1080i60 (24mb/s uncompressed) and bursts of full resolution 16MP images at 10 fps which equals or exceeds the requirements of some entry-level DSLRs. I noticed a significant decrease in the time it took to clear the buffer and fewer dropped frames on my HX5V (10MP/10 fps stills and 1080i60 video) using a class 10 SandDisk Extreme versus an older un-classed 2GB SanDisk Ultra. The new upper-end compacts like the Sony HX series, Canon's s95, the Fuji X-100 and the Lumix LX series may not need higher speed cards to snap a single shot, but to use their full functionality, a class 4 card is the minimum required by the manufacturers and a few dollars more for a class 10 will provide a reassuring performance buffer (not to mention quicker uploading of the large files produced).

Dave

Thanks for this advice - I also have a HX9V and will be experimenting with the video capability before next cruise in April. I need to purchase a back up memory card. I already have a 16GB Class 4 - will definitely get a class 10 as you recommend - the 32 GB is only $15 AUD more thqan another 16 if I shop around. Is it worth it? Prices here even from discount suppliers are way over what they are in US. I have been burned badly with purchasing off shore before, so will stay local for this.

Thanks

Colleen

Thanks for this advice - I also have a HX9V and will be experimenting with the video capability before next cruise in April. I need to purchase a back up memory card. I already have a 16GB Class 4 - will definitely get a class 10 as you recommend - the 32 GB is only $15 AUD more thqan another 16 if I shop around. Is it worth it? Prices here even from discount suppliers are way over what they are in US. I have been burned badly with purchasing off shore before, so will stay local for this.

Thanks

Colleen

Less than $1/GB is worth it in my view. If you were only doing stills, the 16GB would be fine. Since the HX9V is a pretty darn good video camera, you may as well have a few extra gigs handy in case you need them.

Be sure to stick to the known brands from reputable suppliers. Counterfeit cards are common...it costs less to put a class 10 label on a class 4 card than it does to make a class 10 card and the bad guys know that well!

Dave

I'd definitely get a fast card, at least a class 6-10. You may check your camera manual for suggestions. Be sure to read the reviews on the card you intend to buy. I've read a lot of reviews on class 10s that say they're no faster than their old class 6. I suspect it depends on the brand. I've gotten a few SDHC cards with Amazon's Deal of the Day.

Jumping in with a question about the Sony HX9V.

I have researched this camera to death. I did read that Dave has the HX5V so that started my interest.

A little background. I have a Casio EX750 which is a great pocket camera.

I then got the Panasonic FZ18 for the zoom. I travel with both.

Long story the Casio screen 1/2 died.

I can still use the view finder to take pictures if need be.

I am cruising next month and want to replace the Casio.

I really didn't want to spend $300 so I kept researching. I keep on coming back to the Sony.

I did notice that other manufacturers camera prices drop while Sony's prices hold steady. Something has to be said about their product.

I am an occasional photographer, mostly travel shots.

I am looking for a pocket camera. Should I stick with the larger Panasonic or replace both cameras with the Sony HX9V?

I know only I can make that decision but another opinion always helps.

Thanks

Denise

Jumping in with a question about the Sony HX9V.

I have researched this camera to death. I did read that Dave has the HX5V so that started my interest.

A little background. I have a Casio EX750 which is a great pocket camera.

I then got the Panasonic FZ18 for the zoom. I travel with both.

Long story the Casio screen 1/2 died.

I can still use the view finder to take pictures if need be.

I am cruising next month and want to replace the Casio.

I really didn't want to spend $300 so I kept researching. I keep on coming back to the Sony.

I did notice that other manufacturers camera prices drop while Sony's prices hold steady. Something has to be said about their product.

I am an occasional photographer, mostly travel shots.

I am looking for a pocket camera. Should I stick with the larger Panasonic or replace both cameras with the Sony HX9V?

I know only I can make that decision but another opinion always helps.

Thanks

Denise

My previous pocket camera was a Canon SD800 which I chose from a wide group because of the optical viewfinder. Long story short, I used the viewfinder about two times in two years. When I went through the painful process of choosing its replacement, the HX5V won out on features without even considering the lack of viewfinder. LCDs are better than ever and the one on the HX9V is quite good. If it has all the features you want sans viewfinder...set your worries aside and get it.

My 2 cents...

Dave

I am so glad I got it! Every time I use it for something out of the norm I say it again, "I love this camera". I was at the AZ Ren fest yesterday and got some great jousting shots that none of my older cameras could have captured, I had a little camera envy when I saw all the great DSLRs around, but I was glad I wasn't carrying them all day! Here is a quick one, I'll post more on the Picture of the Week thread. We were sitting in the "end zone" seats. Usually I decrease the picture size, but this is the full size.

DSC01935.jpg

Vic

My previous pocket camera was a Canon SD800 which I chose from a wide group because of the optical viewfinder. Long story short, I used the viewfinder about two times in two years. When I went through the painful process of choosing its replacement, the HX5V won out on features without even considering the lack of viewfinder. LCDs are better than ever and the one on the HX9V is quite good. If it has all the features you want sans viewfinder...set your worries aside and get it.

My 2 cents...

Dave

Thanks.

I bought the camera yesterday. Now to play.:)

Archived