Passports to be required soon

wv4891

To all you folks that have not obtained a passport yet, you may want to read this artictle. I am sure that there will be more on this later today or tommorrow. Too funny, we will need a passport to get back into the country from Mexico!!!! I guess we will have to see if this affects people returning from cruises.

Since so many postings about passports refer to carrying a copy and locking up the original in the stateroom safe (THAT YOU CAN'T GET TO AFTER THE SHIP SAILS WITHOUT YOU), just copy someone else's and paste your photo in. I'm sure that'll work.

I agree it's an excellent idea. Yes, it's funny that American citizens must show proof of citizenship to return to the US from Mexico & Canada. Now, if the same Immigration/Customs officials would demand proof of US citizenship on our southern borders....wouldn't that be nice!!! :rolleyes:

I agree it's an excellent idea. Yes, it's funny that American citizens must show proof of citizenship to return to the US from Mexico & Canada. Now, if the same Immigration/Customs officials would demand proof of US citizenship on our southern borders....wouldn't that be nice!!! :rolleyes:

???? Mexico is the southern border........

Here's the time schedule. So you all better get going...:cool:

Quote from the Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28188-2005Apr5.html

"The rule's first phase will go into effect Dec. 31, 2005, requiring all U.S. citizens traveling by air or sea to or from the Caribbean, as well as Central and South America, to have passports. (Yes, this will include Bermuda)

The next phase, which will apply these rules to all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada, will begin a year later, (Dec. 31, 2006).

The last phase, which will affect the most people by far, will take effect on Dec. 31, 2007, and will apply the requirement to all air, sea and land border crossings with Mexico and Canada."

I see that my fellow Californians got my little dig about passports and returning from Mexico. You must live in one of the border states (or maybe not anymore) to appreciate the humor in this.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm too far north in California. I don't get the humor.

2008 is when the program is fully in place. Cruisers will need a passport sooner than that. More details from the department of State Web Site:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

You will need a passport coming back from the Caribbean, Bermuda and some other countries starting the end of this year, Dec 31, 2005.

Returning by air or sea from Canada and Mexico will require a passport at the end of next year, Dec 31 2006.

Only return by land from Canada and Mexico has the Dec 31, 2007 date.

The dates are identified as "proposed" so possibly these dates could change.

My morning paper contained an article reporting much whinging about the new policy and its effect on tourism. Most of it sounded pretty bogus to me. "A leading group of cruise companies raised concerns about whether their customers could make the deadline."?? If you have a birth certificate, it takes about 6 weeks to get a passport (assuming you don't pay for rush services or take heroic measures like going to a passport office in person). People have over 7 months to do it for the earliest implementation date.

By the way, the cruise documents for my Wind Surf Caribbean cruise last December said that Windstar requires their guests to have a passport. I don't know if they inforced that since I travel with a passport. I assume they do that to streamline their own handling and immigration.

Isn't it really about time? We, American, are very spoiled and have been much too lax for ages about the comings and goings in our country. Now I don't want to see the Orwellian mandatory ID's, passports are a way of life for travelers.

The world is 'a changin..get used to it. It surely can't hurt us and may protect us more.

Archived