Smoking

hobbsie65

Hi - we are looking to book a cruise on the Equinox in those great hump cabins but reading the small print in the brouchure it looks like they are changing the smoking to the starboard side due to complaints from passengers eating at the mast grill - has anyone else read this ???

Hi - we are looking to book a cruise on the Equinox in those great hump cabins but reading the small print in the brouchure it looks like they are changing the smoking to the starboard side due to complaints from passengers eating at the mast grill - has anyone else read this ???

Haven't read it yet but it makes sense. We are smokers but thought that the smoking area at the grill should not be there. It was right outside the door. There are plenty other smoking areas on the Equinox that should suffice for smokers.

By the way, you will LOVE the Equinox.

We've only sailed on two S Class ships, the Equinox in November 2009 and the Eclipse in March 2011. On both of these the smoking locations listed on an information sheet were 100% identical and neither of them had smoking at the Mast Grill on the port side. Both of them did have smoking at the Mast Bar on the starboard side. So I don't think there has been any change.

Here is an excerpt from the smoking letter left in the cabins on embarkation day which lists all of the smoking areas on the ship:

• Port side of Sky, our observation lounge on Deck 14.
  • Port side of the Pool Deck, Deck 12
  • Starboard side of the Sun Deck, Deck 14
  • Deck 5 port side, promenade, midship - where chairs, tables and ashtrays are provided
  • Sunset Bar, starboard side, Deck 15 aft. This is the recommended area for Cigar and Pipe smoking

Eclipse-smoking-Feb-2011.pdf

The deck five smoking area and the Mast Grill are about as far apart as one can get! Somebody misunderstood something. The two have nothing to do with one another and the deck five smoking area has zero impact on the mast grill. Are you thinking of Bistro on 5? The deck five smoking area is there, and occasionally a little smoke wafts into the front area of the Bistro.

The deck five smoking area and the Mast Grill are about as far apart as one can get! Somebody misunderstood something. The two have nothing to do with one another and the deck five smoking area has zero impact on the mast grill....

Pretty good point Gonzo. These two areas are 8 decks apart. That is like standing on the roof of an 8 story building and being bothered by people smoking on the sidewalk. Actually, it would be less likely than that since, in most cases, the ship will be moving at a good speed on the open ocean.

The deck five smoking area and the Mast Grill are about as far apart as one can get! Somebody misunderstood something. The two have nothing to do with one another and the deck five smoking area has zero impact on the mast grill. Are you thinking of Bistro on 5? The deck five smoking area is there, and occasionally a little smoke wafts into the front area of the Bistro.

I can see that they are no where near each other, I was asking so I can make a more well informed decision re an upcoming cruise.

2012/2013 Worldwide Cruises brochure - hard copy not online page 101 under smoking - ' exterior designated areas will remain the same with the exception of the solstice class where smoking on the pool and sun deck will be moved to the starboard side to improve our guests dining experience in the mast grill'

Sorry to cause any worry but it looks like it is just deck 12 & 14 and not 5 so I will book starboard side now.

2012/2013 Worldwide Cruises brochure - hard copy not online page 101 under smoking - ' exterior designated areas will remain the same with the exception of the solstice class where smoking on the pool and sun deck will be moved to the starboard side to improve our guests dining experience in the mast grill'

Sorry to cause any worry but it looks like it is just deck 12 & 14 and not 5 so I will book starboard side now.

That's good - I think we have a couple cruises booked with cabins on the lower to mid starboard side decks and would be very unhappy if they switched the deck 5 smoking side.

Comparing what you're describing to what we've seen it sounds like the only change is on the pool deck. As I posted above, on the two S Class sailings we've been on the sun deck smoking areas were already on the starboard side.

Comparing what you're describing to what we've seen it sounds like the only change is on the pool deck. As I posted above, on the two S Class sailings we've been on the sun deck smoking areas were already on the starboard side.

I agree. On Equinox and Silhouette the sun deck smoking area was starboard.

My husband is trying to quit smoking so he is using the cig20 (the electronic device) it looks like a cigarrette but has no odor, smoke that would bother anyone....his Dr. wouldn't want him around people who are smoking since he is trying to quit. Does anyone know about this? We have out TA looking into it...we'll see.

Celebrity considers e-cigarettes to be in the same category as regular smoking-- they're allowed only in prescribed smoking areas. The issue seems to be the possibility of confusion at a distance with regular cigarettes, leading to many false reports of smoking violations. I don't see where using one in the privacy of a cabin would be a problem, but officially they're not allowed there, either.

Archived