Ft. Lauderdale Excursions

cruise&travelgirl

Just an eco-note: airboats are so destructive to plant and animal life that they've been banned within Everglades National Park.

Don't worry about airboats ever being banned totally in the South Florida area. The majority of them are located on the Seminole Indian Reservation off I75 going west and are no more likely to be banned than gambling.

We just got off the Caribbean Princess on Tuesday and booked the Paddlewheel tour through the intercoastal water ways. It was fabulous. I did not see this tour in my personalizer but it was in my stateroom when we boarded. the tour started about 9 or 9:30 and we were at the airport round 1PM.

Does anyone know if the airboat tours for departure from FLL were available for all guest, our flights leaves at 135pm but it's not a domestic flight, we're flying to Canada. We're on the Emerald in January, if there's a pretty good chance that the tour will be available to us, we won't do the airboat tour prior to our cruise. When I called Princess I was told that no such tour existed by 3 different person.

I was able to access the FLL excursions yesterday, showing the paddlewheel excursion and the airboat excursion cumulating in both airport and hotel drop offs. They are not available for my cruise yet, still waaay to far away, but they are listed in the general excursion list. It is nice to see the options prior to booking air.

• 3 months later...
I just looked up the excursions and found the airboat one that sounds ok, but short (2 1/2 hours or so.) Can anyone who has done this tell me how it works? About what time does this tour begin in terms of disembarking times? Do you disembark first, get your luggage, go through customs, and then meet everyone for the tour OR is your luggage taken from outside your room to the bus and everyone on the tour gathers in one spot on the ship together to be walked to the tour by a guide (but everyone has to go through customs, right?) Since it says the tour is for people whose flights are after 1:00 (ours is at 4:30), I'm just wondering if we'd end up at the airport really early even with this tour (if it begins early in the morning) and if so, it might pay for us just to rent a car ourselves where we could do as we wish until going to the airport around 3:00 which would probably be less expensive and possibly more fun. So, I'd appreciate input from someone who has done either. Thanks!

Took the airboat ride in February. You pick up your luggage and go through customs just like everybody else. A bus picks you up at the pier. You then travel for about an hour to the Everglades for your Air Boat ride. You spend 45 minutes in the airboat then see a small aligator show. There is a store that sells basic food items there if you get hungry. You then board your bus for the trip to the Flamingo gardens. At the gardens you take a trolley (little train pulled by a jeep) tour of the gardens. You can walk around and see the sites including a very large bird aviary. There is a small Hot Dog stand there again if you need soemthing to eat. It then goes to the airport where you are dropped off for your flightat about 12:30 - 1:00.

All your luggage goes on the bus with you so you do not have to worry about it at all. It was something to do to use up the time before your plane departs. Our plane left at 3:00 and we got there in plenty of time including me getting an extra check out by the TSA screeners.

Archived