How long does it take to get off the ship via tender?

jac8724

I have a question-

I would like to scuba dive while on the caymans, our ship says it arrives at 8am. Most dive shops boats leave for the morning dive at 8am though :/ However, I did find one shop who said they were willing to wait till 9am for us. They are in West Bay.

Do you guys think there is enough time to get off the ship, and get a taxi up to West Bay, by 9am? I can make every effort on my part to be up early and try to be first off the boat.

Any experience tendering at this island? Thanks!

I'm sure it varies from ship to ship and from sailing to sailing, but when I was in GC last month, it took 25 minutes from the time I walked out of my cabin until the time I stepped off the tender boat in GC. I don't think it could have gone any quicker.

There are a lot of variables involved in this process. How many passengers on board your ship; weather and sea conditions in the area, how many other ships in port at the time. Many ships tender guests who have booked excursions through the ship first and then open it up to others. Or they make you get a "tender ticket" as a process to avoid having everybody try to get off ship all at once.

You could make it...or then again, not. Good luck!

Pete

I would be very careful about booking an excursion that leaves only 1 hour after the ship is scheduled to drop anchor. I can't tell you how many times I have been in a port, whether it is tendered or walk off that we arive an hour or two late, or their is some delay in allowing passengers to depart the ship. For this reason alone, I typically book trips through the ship. I know they will be more money, but at least they give me the sense of security that I will either get on the trip or not pay, if it is the ship's fault.

Archived