Paying for upgrade once onboard

jobu

Will be traveling in a few weeks and I am looking to pay to upgrade my cabin once onboard. There are no cabins currently available in the category I am seeking. I have read before on these boards that I should go to guest relations as soon as I check in and get my name on a waiting list. Now my question. For anyone who has done this before, if I am able to get the cabin upgrade, will the new cabin cost be "whatever the going rate is", or will it be less than the going rate?

There is usually a sign at the guest services desk on the ship that says the ship is sold out and no upgrades are available. I think they leave those signs there all of the time so that they aren't bothered by people wanting to buy an upgrade.

If any unsold cabins are available, you will have much better chance of getting an upgrade purchase by seeking out the "Pier Coordinator" after you check in. After you have completed your checkin ask the agent for the location of the Pier Coordinator desk, hustle over there and see if any upgrades are available, and the price. There used to be a standard list of prices for upgrades from=to each type of cabin. Search this board for those prices, maybe someone has had recent experience in upgrading.

Be prepared to immediately make the change if something is available. There will probably be other folks trying the same thing. You snooze you lose.

BTW, I would get there early the morning of boarding (around 10 or even earlier) You want to be amongst the first people through the door to ensure your best chance.

The only time we did a pier upgrade, I was able to get the RS for $800.00 as an upgrade from a GS (total price). The next guy in line wanted it, but since it was gone he took my GS. They go pretty fast.

There is usually a sign at the guest services desk on the ship that says the ship is sold out and no upgrades are available. I think they leave those signs there all of the time so that they aren't bothered by people wanting to buy an upgrade.

If any unsold cabins are available, you will have much better chance of getting an upgrade purchase by seeking out the "Pier Coordinator" after you check in. After you have completed your checkin ask the agent for the location of the Pier Coordinator desk, hustle over there and see if any upgrades are available, and the price. There used to be a standard list of prices for upgrades from=to each type of cabin. Search this board for those prices, maybe someone has had recent experience in upgrading.

Be prepared to immediately make the change if something is available. There will probably be other folks trying the same thing. You snooze you lose.

BTW, I would get there early the morning of boarding (around 10 or even earlier) You want to be amongst the first people through the door to ensure your best chance.

The only time we did a pier upgrade, I was able to get the RS for $800.00 as an upgrade from a GS (total price). The next guy in line wanted it, but since it was gone he took my GS. They go pretty fast.

Thanks for all the great info. Would anyone happen to have a current list of what upgrades cost from one category to another?

Someone gave me this a while ago. I guess it still applies:

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

Are these prices per person?

Someone gave me this a while ago. I guess it still applies:

RCI Upgrades

From INSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1500

Suite - $1000

Balcony - $600

Outside - $300

Inside - $100

From OUTSIDE to

Royal Suite - $1200

Suite - $700

Balcony - $300

Outside - $100

From BALCONY to

Royal Suite - $1000

Suite - $400

Balcony - $100

From SUITE to

Royal Suite - $800

Suite - $400

Thank you. Those rates are better than if I had upgraded before sailing. My biggest problem right now unfortunately is that there are no cabins above a balcony available for my sailing. Hope something opens up soon. If not, that's why I was curious about other options. (ie - checking once onboard)

It's been my experience, since we started sailing only in GS's, that usually months before the sail date all the true suites are sold. And most ships sail full anyway. I think you'd have to be very lucky to get this kind of a deal!!

Don't be holding your breath folks.....I haven't seen any pier or ship upgrades available for some time...all I see are signs that say "this sailing is sold out"....even though they always seem to have suites available to Bingo off:rolleyes:...it's all about revenue.

It's been my experience, since we started sailing only in GS's, that usually months before the sail date all the true suites are sold. And most ships sail full anyway. I think you'd have to be very lucky to get this kind of a deal!!

With the exception of the Oasis and Allure. They can't get rid of the CL suites.

With the exception of the Oasis and Allure. They can't get rid of the CL suites.

Yea but what Royal and most other CL's seem to be doing is up-selling long before the sailing ever departs....if revenue is doing their job they wouldn't have high priced real estate...or most any other cabins sitting unsold at time of sailing.....and like I said....seems to be be MUCH more profitable to Bingo a suite off...if they have one, than to allow an upgrade at the prices posted.....those are the good old day's....today are the it's all about revenue days;)

Yea but what Royal and most other CL's seem to be doing is up-selling long before the sailing ever departs....if revenue is doing their job they wouldn't have high priced real estate...or most any other cabins sitting unsold at time of sailing.....and like I said....seems to be be MUCH more profitable to Bingo a suite off...if they have one, than to allow an upgrade at the prices posted.....those are the good old day's....today are the it's all about revenue days;)

So true, but I wouldn't take a CL suite if it was given to me.

In Bayonne you ask when you get ON the ship at guest services to be put on a list TO upgrade from where you are to another cabin. When they get the manifest which is usually around 5PM they will go through the list and make a decision as to who they will offer it to.

It does not matter whether the ship is sold out or not, someone WILL absolutely show up at the pier with an expired passport, no identification or will get sick and not show at all so there are always cabins lying around. It's just a matter of who asks.

Archived