Recent Cruisers - Please tell me about the food!

RMM34667

Hey all.. I'm not asking about the new menus. Just about the quality of anything you tried in the MDR. I want to know what made you go HMMM.. What was great? What was good? What could you have skipped.

I am someone who looks forward to the "dining experience" on my cruise. I love good food. If I make a mistake and don't like what I've ordered, it won't "ruin my cruise", but a great meal will add to my happiness!

Sailing in 7 days on the Destiny and would love to hear about the good stuff!

I enjoyed everything I had in the MDR with the exception of the Meatloaf and I ate in the MDR every night of our 6 day cruise. I usually eat everything on my plate just the way I was raised but the meatloaf had no flavor what so ever. Must admit a tour up some Lobster Tails and Shrimp Cocktail. Every Dessert I tried was wonderful!!

All in all I was very happy with my dinning experience and the scale proved it when I got home!!

Loved the Lobster tail served with shrimp in garlic butter. They offer prime rib that was yummy! Got 2 tails and 1 prime rib each. More then enough.

Mahi-Mahi was dry and overcooked.

The Steak on the everyday side of the menu was tender and good.

I ordered this 2 times.

Ceaser Salad is very good and always fresh. Room service has it also :)

Just returned from Carnival Spirit 9 day cruise. Thought the food was the BEST of any cruise so far! My favorites were the prime rib, n.y. strip, flat iron steak & even the roast beef. All were fall off the bone...tender!! DW loved the leg of lamb and short ribs!! Alligator fritters were just fair. Escargots were good...need a lot less butter on 'em! Tilapia and grouper...perfect. Frog legs and new england crab cake .......delicious! Also enjoyed the beef & barley and minestrone soups. Favorite desserts were strawberry cheesecake, baked alaska & creme brulee! Of course..the quality of the food can vary greatly between ships. So..hopefully...you'll get to experience some wonderful food on your next cruise!!

We just came back from the 5 day Cabo Cruise on the Spirit. We tried only the new items on the menu. There was not anything we didn't like at all on that menu.

Appetizers:

Cured Salmon and Candied Tomato

Art of Sushi

Sun dried tomato soup

Salsa/Guacamole with Chips

Tropical Fruit plate

Frog Legs

Main Course:

Meatloaf - I thought had a good taste and was not bad at all

Jerk Pork Loin

Sweet and Sour Shrimp

Broiled Filet of Mahi Mahi

Prime Rib - pretty good stuff got the end cut!

Deserts:

WCMC

Creme Brulee

Root Beer Floats!

My family and I just sailed on the Destiny in August (and loved it!!).

We enjoyed all of the food in the MDR.

I found the cuts of beef very tender and tasty. The ribs were especially very very good.

For soups..I really liked the chilled soups which some people may not like, but I liked the strawberry bisque and the cucumber bisque.

I also liked, the shrimp cocktail, the escargot, the stuffed mushrooms. I also liked the lasagna. For desert, the warm chocolate melting cake was good, but one night it was undercooked.

At the grill...we found the burgers and dogs, fries and nachos to be good (nothing spectacular, but good). We really liked the pizza.

I only had breakfast in the MDR once, and we all liked it very very much.

We did not care for the buffet for dinner..no enough selection and food was kind of cold. We ate there a couple of times for lunch and it was ok but I liked eating at the grill or pizza better.

My daughter and I went to afternoon tea and ate delicious desserts there as well.

Enjoy the Destiny!

Just returned from the Fascination, and ate in MDR every night. The lobster and prime rib were excellent. Chateaubriand was very good, also the jerked pork loin. I loved the onion soup, crab cake, and all the salads. My DH liked the frog legs, escargot, and wasn't crazy about the alligator fritters. I thought the desserts were great also - loved the strawberry cheesecake, WCMC, and on halloween, they served a choc cake with walnut/choc frosting that was to die for! All in all, I thought the food was very good.

I also wanted to add to my above post that we (the four of us) ordered a couple of extra entrees of something different so we could try it (we would all share some of it). We did the same for appetizers.

For those who have never cruised... you can order as much as you like. You are not limited to just one appetizer, one entre, one dessert, etc. So order away!

Things we liked: shrimp cocktail, ceasar salad (yum!), french onion soup, flat iron streak, grilled chicken, shrimp from elegant night, lasagna, bitter n blanc (best dessert ever!), cheesecake.

Things i wouldnt order again: stuffed mushrooms, baked alaska

All in all -- good food!!!!!

for me just getting off the Paradise last week & the Splendor last month there was so much good food, some classic some new! some of my fav's are

MDR:

^creme brulee(some sailings dont offer it)

^the lasana -very good & very diff from what you see on land!

^chicken la Greque(sorry for the speeling)

^garlic shrimp & lobster tail

^pot roast (on the classics menu, comfort food but yummy)

^Mac & cheese(TWO KINDS FYI, The tiny serving in a small round cup is AMAZING lots of high end chese in it AND the Bacon mac & cheese again from the comfort menu!

^crab cakes

^thai marinated skinless chicken fingers(really good flavorful spices)

^jerk pork loin

^indian veggie dinner

^espresso & cappuchino (ALL MEALS in the MDR sorry for the misspelling)

^grand marnier sofflee

^warm choc. melting cake

^tiramasu

^Cream of mushroom soup (outstanding)

^frnch onion soup

^escargot

^frog legs

^stuffed mushrooms (love the sauce)

^bitter n blanc

MDR-breakfast

^eggs benedict

^espresso & cappuchino

^smoked salmon

LIDO- Lunch

^mongolian/asian station cook to order

^the DELI, good Pastrami, smoked salmon, wraps ETC made to order

^chicken fingers & skinny fries LOVE EM

^good salsa station with fresh chips

^good soups that change daily

^dolce de leche cheesecake(WOW)

^cookies(THE BEST EVER, im a cookie monster lol, the vanilla cookies edge out as my fav. barely over the choc. chip)

^frozen yougart/ice cream- 24-hours

^THE CHOC. BUFFET- lunchtime on LIDO only the last day

LIDO- MIDNIGHT MEXICAN BUFFET

Most all of it to sample- fun partyime & they usually have a completed ice sculpture & fruit & cheese sculptures to view!!

Sorry to go overboard BUT I LOVE FOOD! guess I like alot of stuff, I want to be on a ship now lol, hope this helps:p;):D:eek::o

So So grateful for all your responses.. My faith is restored. It's funny how so often we only hear the complaints.

Now I want to try cold soups, afternoon tea AND Mac and Cheese!

Keep them coming I may find more new things I want to try..

for me just getting off the Paradise last week & the Splendor last month there was so much good food, some classic some new! some of my fav's are

MDR:

^creme brulee(some sailings dont offer it)

^the lasana -very good & very diff from what you see on land!

^chicken la Greque(sorry for the speeling)

^garlic shrimp & lobster tail

^pot roast (on the classics menu, comfort food but yummy)

^Mac & cheese(TWO KINDS FYI, The tiny serving in a small round cup is AMAZING lots of high end chese in it AND the Bacon mac & cheese again from the comfort menu!

^crab cakes

^thai marinated skinless chicken fingers(really good flavorful spices)

^jerk pork loin

^indian veggie dinner

^espresso & cappuchino (ALL MEALS in the MDR sorry for the misspelling)

^grand marnier sofflee

^warm choc. melting cake

^tiramasu

^Cream of mushroom soup (outstanding)

^frnch onion soup

^escargot

^frog legs

^stuffed mushrooms (love the sauce)

^bitter n blanc

MDR-breakfast

^eggs benedict

^espresso & cappuchino

^smoked salmon

LIDO- Lunch

^mongolian/asian station cook to order

^the DELI, good Pastrami, smoked salmon, wraps ETC made to order

^chicken fingers & skinny fries LOVE EM

^good salsa station with fresh chips

^good soups that change daily

LIDO- MIDNIGHT MEXICAN BUFFET

Most all of it to sample

Sorry to go overboard BUT I LOVE FOOD! hope this helps:p;):D:eek::o

Hey buddy im so glad you had a great time...13 Days until we leave on the Liberty woohooooo and with all this food YUMMMM...although I lost 24 lbs I really must be very careful...LOL

So So grateful for all your responses.. My faith is restored. It's funny how so often we only hear the complaints.

Now I want to try cold soups, afternoon tea AND Mac and Cheese!

Keep them coming I may find more new things I want to try..

Try the spaghetti carbonera, it was fantastic! and the bacon mac & cheese. We tried almost all the didja things and ended up sharing with 4 other people, none of us had complaints about the food

Hey buddy im so glad you had a great time...13 Days until we leave on the Liberty woohooooo and with all this food YUMMMM...although I lost 24 lbs I really must be very careful...LOL

Congrats on the weight loss! back to the gym 5 days a week ehh :( & I totally forgot the COLD SOUPS were AMAZING as well! I cant wait to hear all about it! Im gonna be on the Esctacy in Jan going to HMC I cant wait to see that dreamy island again! That will be my official platinum 10th cruise!:D Hope you have an awesome Liberty cruise with your whole family! Anyhow leaving work gotta get home to TIVO of my FOOTBALL GAMES & NASCAR! Aidios amigos(to much mexico lately:eek:;))

DH and I and a friend were on the 9-day Spirit last month and thought the new menus were just OK, not as good as past cruises. The new bacon mac & cheese was really good and some of the old standard dishes were good (lobster, most of the soups, etc), but some new items were a bit disappointing. We ate in the Steakhouse 2 nights and those meals were fabulous of course. Nothing was 'bad', just not as good as sometimes, maybe it's a ship thing?

We just got off the Victory a couple of weeks ago. The food was good , of course the Warm chocolate melting cake was to die for. I really enjoyed getting the pasta dishes as starter they were very good. We really enjoyed going to the MDR for breakfast is was very good and really quicker than fighting the masses at the Buffet .

Just off the Splendor Oct 16th, 2011 sailing. The food was terrific. The best in 27 cruises. I was a bit worried after reading so much negative stuff on these board. The food in the Lido was great too. They variety was fantastic. The lobster in the MDR was perfect. The steakhouse served one of the best meals I have ever eaten (Chilean sea bass), I could go on and on.

Archived