Childless On The Fantasy?

bahrain_not_dubai!

I will write about what surly is an ever-recurring subject here, going on a Disney cruise without children.

Me and a friend, who I've known very well since childhood are going to be graduating school at the end of this year. He will be heading off to Canada, and me to the UK, so we decided as a way of celebrating the end of many great years here in Bahrain, we would take a cruise together. This is all fine until one considers that at the age of 18, only certain cruise lines would allow us to travel independently. Disney Cruise Line is the only company that would grant us passage in the US, while all UK-based lines bar Cunard and all Australian lines would allow us on board, as well as all the luxury lines bar two, but these ships are out of his budget so not an option.

This brings me on to Disney- while I personally am a shiplover which doesn't mind weather a ship is new, old, 220,000 tonnes or 10,000 tonnes- for I love cruises for what they are, I do want to be on a large resort-ship for this cruise.

The Dream Class are stunning, beautiful ships that I have always wanted to try, but I wonder, at age 18, will we be in no-mans-land? Neither children, nor adults by the US definition. I don't think meeting people our own age would be of interest, I really just want to go on a relatively active, enjoyable cruise vacation.

The cruise I'm considering is a peak season Summer departure, so is bound to be filled to the brim with children. While I don't mind children at all, a ship full of crying, screaming babies akin to an Economy Class cabin on an aircraft would ruin the voyage- is this the case? Have children ever gotten between you and your cruise?

What else would you reccomend to do on the Dream class ships?

We both grew up with Disney so the Disney atmosphere on board won't be an issue.

In all fairness, would you reccomend DCL to us or should we look elsewhere?

If you love Disney, go for Disney cruise.

I've not cruised during summer break, but have cruised during Christmas/winter break. I never found kids to be that big of a problem. Kids on DCL are usually well-behaved. And the kids clubs keep them very busy. And there are enforced adult-only [18 and older] areas, including specialty restuarants..

DD last sailed DCL when she was 19, and was never bored.

[And DCL would be another line you can add to your signature.]

I think this vacation will be what you make it. The Disney Dream will certainly offer the opportunity for you and your friend to make the most of the experience. Will there be crying children? Of course. And if you focus on that and look for it you will probably find several. But then I think the same can be said of any cruise line selling short cruises in peak season.

It's true that you and your friend will not be able to drink alcohol while onboard. If that's a deal-breaker to you, then I wouldn't sail (but all U.S.-owned lines are going to have this rule). Otherwise, there will be plenty to do onboard and plenty for you and your friend to enjoy together to make memories of a lifetime.

If you love Disney, go for Disney cruise.

I've not cruised during summer break, but have cruised during Christmas/winter break. I never found kids to be that big of a problem. Kids on DCL are usually well-behaved. And the kids clubs keep them very busy. And there are enforced adult-only [18 and older] areas, including specialty restuarants..

DD last sailed DCL when she was 19, and was never bored.

[And DCL would be another line you can add to your signature.]

Thanks for the input, I've done a lot more research and DCL does seem lovely.... and yes, the signature is most important ! :P

I think this vacation will be what you make it. The Disney Dream will certainly offer the opportunity for you and your friend to make the most of the experience. Will there be crying children? Of course. And if you focus on that and look for it you will probably find several. But then I think the same can be said of any cruise line selling short cruises in peak season.

It's true that you and your friend will not be able to drink alcohol while onboard. If that's a deal-breaker to you, then I wouldn't sail (but all U.S.-owned lines are going to have this rule). Otherwise, there will be plenty to do onboard and plenty for you and your friend to enjoy together to make memories of a lifetime.

You're absolutely right- every cruise is what you make it. Ultimately it's up to the passenger to enjoy their cruise or not to. Having considered DCL, pending final details, etc. it does look like to be the ship I shall find myself on. It's something quite different. Alcohol won't be an issue as I personally don't drink.

:) Thanks for your input.

I loved our disney cruise and all our wdw trips, but I wouldn't do them without kids. I am not really a disney fan, but I think they offer the best family vacations. There are so many cruises that are more geared to adults. If you really love disney and disney entertainment keep in mind everthing is geared for kids. Than you may enjoy it. The adult area on the Dream was really small. The night clubs are nice, but your not old enough to drink. Honestly I don't think I would have enjoyed a disney cruise at your age.

Archived