radiance may 18,2012

whiteduv65

Whiteduv, I can't answer your jade question, because I have never purchased jewelry on a cruise.

As to the Exit Glacier question, I hope someone can answer that, because I'm planning to do the same thing -- same time. :D I do believe we will be able to drive out there just fine and at least walk to the Glacier. I'm not planning on walking very far on it.

We were in Alaska the end of May in 2005 and we went to Exit Glacier. I would assume they open the park at the same time cruises begin - we had just gotten off a NB cruise. The park ranger gave us a walking tour to the glacier (very informative and interesting) then she left us to return to the entrance at our leisure. The walking tour makes a large circle pass the glacier. You can walk right up to the glacier - the obligatory "do not go pass this sign" warning is up but folks (including us) walked up to the glacier for a touch and photo op. The glacier is tall - I don't remember an access to actually walk on it but there may have been a trail that went to the top. A really neat experience though.

We were in Alaska the end of May in 2005 and we went to Exit Glacier. I would assume they open the park at the same time cruises begin - we had just gotten off a NB cruise. The park ranger gave us a walking tour to the glacier (very informative and interesting) then she left us to return to the entrance at our leisure. The walking tour makes a large circle pass the glacier. You can walk right up to the glacier - the obligatory "do not go pass this sign" warning is up but folks (including us) walked up to the glacier for a touch and photo op. The glacier is tall - I don't remember an access to actually walk on it but there may have been a trail that went to the top. A really neat experience though.
olelady63, I just did a little Googling and found this link about the Ranger-led hikes. It says the hikes are typically held between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The OP (and I) might be going a little too early. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We had a few hours in Seward before our cruise left, so we took a taxi out to Kenai Fjords National Park to see Exit Glacier. We arranged for the taxi to come back and get us a few hours later for one set price. We hiked out to Exit glacier and then back through the run off plains. A great couple of hours before leaving for the cruise. Well worth the time.

I also posted some of our pictures,

olelady63, I just did a little Googling and found this link about the Ranger-led hikes. It says the hikes are typically held between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The OP (and I) might be going a little too early. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Looked up our visit in our scrapbook - we were at Exit Glacier on June 2 so I guess we just made the Memorial Day opening date.

We had a few hours in Seward before our cruise left, so we took a taxi out to Kenai Fjords National Park to see Exit Glacier. We arranged for the taxi to come back and get us a few hours later for one set price. We hiked out to Exit glacier and then back through the run off plains. A great couple of hours before leaving for the cruise. Well worth the time.

I also posted some of our pictures,

Your pictures are fabulous! What kind of camera do you use? I love the idea about the taxi, because we probably won't still have our rental car the day of our cruise.

You are no longer able to walk on the glacier. It is retreating and is too dangerous. However, you can go right up to it! It was fascinating! Loved going there ,at the first of June. It was not very cold then, very comfortable. Have a great time!
Thank you for this information. I can't see me walking on the glacier, but many could benefit from knowing this. Just getting close to it is good enough for me.

Adele, I am a Canon guy. On this trip, I primarily used a Canon 7d with a 24-105L lens. The wide angle shots are with Sigma 10-20 and close ups are Canon 100-400L. Have fun. It's only been a few months since I was in Alaska. I miss it and would love to go back.
Thank you, Wishing. Wish I had bought a Canon instead of the Nikon D60 I tried to save money on. You do some really beautiful work.

Archived