Australs & Society Islands

billjakegolf

The DW and myself have just booked the 11 day Austals and Society Island Cruise on Sept. 01,2012. This will be our 11th cruise but our first on a luxury cruise line and small ship. We are looking for things that we will should see or do while in French Polynesia. Thanks before hand for any suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

The cruise its self remains wonderful(the service, the food, the crew,etc.) BUT the cruise line did not deliver the Australs as promised to their sold out ship passengers! To be fair the weather was cooler and wetter than normal for this time of year and on the way over it was a bit choppy. However, where the ship anchored it was extremely calm.

Prior to the cruise date, some of our CC members learned that the tour with the whales was sold out prior to sailing and that there was a wait list(we were on it). We arrived on the ship and found that we had a booking for the whale tour. Then upon arriving in the Grand Salon we learned that the tour had been cancelled due to high swells(not visible from the ship). People went ballistic!

The captain never made an announcement about the weather or safety issues. The divers learned that they could not scuba near the whales and it was cancelled prior to arrival.

Then the cruise director advised that the tenders would take people out for viewing but it would not be as close as with the local boats. They offered a discount but would not say what the cost would be($29.99 instead of $100). We chose to go out with the Whale lecturer and it was as calm as could be and we could stand on the top of the tender with no balance problems. I later learned that the captain felt that the local boats were not safe enough for the passengers. Can you imagine what some passengers felt as they looked out and saw the locals with tourists in their boats doing just fine.

The cruise director even advised that they could not have the locals board with their music or handicrafts because what would we do if we could not get them off? Of course, she failed to explain when they boarded from their own boats and then disembarked with no problems.

I got a hold of an newspaper article in french about this fiasco and once I have translated it I will report to all. Imagine what this says to the small islanders when dealing with the PG.

The PG does very well when it stays in its box of what it does all of the time but it seems when it strays away their lack of doing their field work shows up(We had a problem with one of their after cruise packages on their Pappette Auckland cruises(thank goodness I went straight to the Hotel Director after trying to deal with a rude tour director(it impacted on over 35 people)and got it fixed somewhat.

Personally, I think that if they continue to offer this itinerary they need to get someone out in the field to insure that all is well and also extend the stay to 2 days and take a day off BOra Bora or their other 2 day stop.

I will have a report later when I have "revived" from the long flight.

Thank you for reporting back Cruisedreamer1. I am sorry to hear about how things went on Rurutu. If I were put in the situation that you describe, I would be very upset.

If weather was not the issue, maybe the Paul Gauguin cruises representative who posts here from time to time can weigh in on what went wrong and what the line plans on doing to fix things next time around.

Wasn't Richard Bailey, the president of the line, on the ship? Did he have anything to say about the goings on?

Found a brief mention, in French I don't speak French but I do know "fiasco" is not a good word to find in the headline.

http://www.ladepeche.pf/article/australes/la-venue-du-paul-gauguin-se-solde-par-un-fiasco

Here is the rough google translation from the French text:

"The Gauguin had to make his first visit to Rurutu this Saturday, September 8. On the ground everything was planned: Group dance at the dock with a welcoming committee, crowns and of course lots of curious to see what cruise ship.

Because of the swell and technical constraints, the captain of the ship decided not to disembark person, which shocked the population was mobilized for several weeks.

The only gain for the day was 325,000 CFP, which is one 000cfp per passenger. Is there a lack of communication between the tourism committee and the organizers of the cruise?"

Were the land based excursions cancelled as well?

The land based tours were also cancelled. Richard Bailey was not on the ship. There was a letter in our cabin upon our arrival advising that he had broken his ankle and his dr advised him not to travel.

From the passenger view point the seas were not an issue it seems that it had more to do with the local boats involved which from my point view is the cruise line's problem for not doing their homework in preparation for this trip.

I would have to say that my perceptions of the day were very different! I looked back at my journal, and have copied that entry here...

"Sat Sep 8 2012

Day Eight - Rurutu

Today has been one of the best days ever! It was so windy

that we tried to go to the other side of the island to tender.

That didn't pan out either, so we weren't able to go whale

watching in the local boats as planned. The alternative was

to take groups out in the tender.

We were in the first group, and it was awesome - humpback

whales everywhere! We saw mothers, babies, tails, breaching, it

really was unforgettable .

All access to the island was cancelled because of the wind, so

the locals came on board and put on a show for us. They

brought leis for all! This was the ship's first visit to the

Australs, and the locals really made it special. They brought

crafts onboard to sell as well.

Some drinks of the day, whale sightings from the ship's rail -

it was perfect!

Have been listening to onboard lectures from Dr. Bruce Mate,

the whale expert from Oregon State. He was on all tender

tours today, and added greatly to the understanding and

enjoyment of the whale experience. Really felt that the crew

tried to make the most out of today. The weather is

something that can't be controlled, but everyone was making

the best of it.

Had a great dinner at Le Etoile with two new acquaintances, music from the fabulous Siglo then to bed right after the show as the ship was really

rocking in the open seas!"

So that was my perception of the day. We are a well traveled couple who have been on over 30 cruises on many lines, and have been to many parts of the world. This was a fabulous trip in every way, and we did get to see whales in Huahine and Moorea up close. In Moorea, people were even able to snorkel with them. Our tour in Moorea from the ship (Lagoon Tour and Snorkeling) got within 25 yards of the whales.

We, too, were on the 1st tender and enjoyed seeing the whales. The ocean was calm and the weather beautiful.

My basic compliant is that it is obvious that the cruise line did not do a complete job of preparing for our arrival. In specific, determining what kind of local boats that we were to use.

It was not weather or seas that kept us from landing!

My husband translated a news article about the "fiasco" in Rurutu we found in a local Moorea newspaper. Basically, no one came out to inspect the boats to be used and the locals had been in contact via messages with the PG for over 5 months. The locals lost a lot of expected income. The locals who came aboard were paid for their performance but no one else received any income. The locals feel that the tenders could have landed in Moerai without problems. Many of the locals quoted appear to be related reported that they will not work with the PG again(tourist rep, boat owner, etc.) We are willing to share this article, if anyone is interested. I left a copy of it with PG's reception desk.

By the way, we also received information from a member of the crew, that the real reason was the lack of local boat safety deemed by the captain.

Much was promised about going to Rurutu by the PG and little was delivered.

Please understand, the cruise otherwise was wonderful. The service, food and crew were outstanding. The "Crew Capers" show has been redone and is the best crew show on the 7 seas. The Gauguins were warm and wonderful. The refurbished ship beautiful!

This was our 6th PG cruise since 2007(all of their itineraries including their Tahiti to Auckland cruise). This cruise simply failed PG's own high standards.

If you want to see whales during the season in the South Pacific, consider going on Michael Pooles' whale and dolphin excursion or take the snorkel and lagoon tour or even the catjet ride. All saw whales in Moorea.

We are signed up for this cruise departing September 21st 2013. We are interested in hearing more feedback regarding this sailing since it only happens once a year and just sailed for the first time this month. Anyone else have thoughts on how it went this year?

• 5 months later...

we are trying to change from next Sept 2014 to this Sept 2013 cruise due to my husband's health problems. If anyone decides to cancel this cruise, please let me know. We really need to go while he is still feeling ok. Sept is also our anniversary and we love whales. Any info about this cruise, please let us know. We are waiting to hear what cabins may or may not still be available, thanks for your help, elaine

Archived