Actual docking times

My sister is planning on getting married on the beach in Key West. We are sailing on The Rhapsody of the Seas 9/25/05. Our itinerary states we dock at 3:00pm....is this central (Galveston) time? or eastern (Key West) time? We really need to know as the city hall closes at 5:00pm and she will have to get her marriage license. Thanks, Jill

I believe that it is Galveston time. When you board the ship the clock matches whatever time zome the embarkation port is. During our entire cruise the Captain kept telling us DO NOT change you watches we go by ship time NOT shore time.

Call RCCL and ask though.

I'm relatively sure that on all the ships we have been on the time has changed when we moved from time zone to time zone. I checked the daily newspapers from several different cruises and they also mention the time changes. I even remember on HAL and Princess cruises they leave little cards on your pillow, with a sweet treat, that remind you to change your watches.

If that is the case you will be on Eastern time when you dock in Key West.

Have a great next cruise.

We agree will springtxbill who has sailed Rhapsody many times that the ship stays on Galveston time. It did on our last two Rhapsody cruises and yes, there were announcements, comments in the daily Compass, and signs as you left the ship about staying on the ship's time.

The Rhapsody stays on galveston time as all of it's other ports are in the same time zone and it is easier to just stay on that time. If you go by local time in KW, you will just be back on the ship an hour earlier than you thought.

I have to admit I have never heard of a ship doing this but since you obviously have sailed on her I guess I am wrong. Now to help the nice lady who originally posted this question, when the ship is scheduled to dock at Key West at 3 PM which 3 PM is that?

If it is 3 PM ship's time per your post it would be 4 PM Eastern Standard time in Key West if I'm not mistaken. Given her need to get to the court house before it closes at 5 PM Key West time this probably creates a problem in her plans.

Does that make sense?

Have a great next cruise.

It is 3 PM ship's time per our posts so it would be 4 PM Eastern Standard time in Key West. This stands out as many people are usually stressing out about the Conch Train and Hemingway's House closing at 5PM Eastern time and only having a short time to get off the ship and catch them.

The Rhapsody stays on Galveston time. If you are using the ship to arrange the wedding they will help you obtain the license. If you are making the arrangements with someone else they should be able to do it also. It might be difficult to get there on your own since the ship arrives at 4:00 ET. Most of the places were closing by the time we got to them.

Just to reiterate, Rhapsody docks in Key West at 3:00pm ship time which is 4:00pm Key West time. You will be cutting it very close. I suppose it's possible to make it if you are able to get off the ship in a timely fashion but stuff happens.

When we docked at KW in December it was a good 45 minutes before we could debark as there was a medical emergency and someone had to be taken off the ship before other passengers could debark. At the time we didn't know what the delay was and DH was in a panic as he wanted to go to the Key West Winery for some Christmas gifts to bring back and they normally close at 5:00pm. He ended up calling them from his cell phone and found out they stay open an hour later when Rhapsody is in port. Not likely City Hall does that though.

Sorry it didn't work out as planned. I was sure that all the cruises we had ever sailed in the Caribbean or elsewhere changed times when we moved from time zone to time zone. I guess for some reason RCCL does it differently for this cruise.

I sure hope they don't do the same thing on our Transatlantic cruise because my tours there will all be arranged for the wrong times.

Tell your sister "Congratulations" on her wedding where ever she ends up having it and have a great time on your cruise.

All the other RCL cruises I've been on have changed times with the time zones of the ports BUT the Rhapsody doesn't and runs on "Ship time" when they are in Key West. So docking at 3 pm Ship Time means you are docking at 4 pm local time. There were plenty of reminders (on the Compass, our waiter reminded us, as did our stateroom attendant and a reminder at the gangway.

Archived