What would you do??

spcopps

OK here is the issue. I booked during the WOW sale and booked a family OV cabin. When I booked I wasn't sure if DH would sail without a balcony but was told not to worry that I can upgrade at any time. Speaking to RCC I was told that on the Freedom of the Seas you can add a trundle bed to the JSs for the 5th person. Now I am trying to upgrade to the JS and am told that NO they will not add a trundle to ANY JS on the Freedom so my only option is to upgrade to a GS (more money) or do a connecting balcony/OV. OK that is great except I can't afford a GS and there is no balcony/OV on my sailing (there is one on the sailing after ours). My big issue is this...I was verbally told I could do a JS no problem when I booked, now I am told NO, but on RCC website it states... Some have sofa beds and can accommodate 3-4 guests. Some can also accommodate a rollaway bed or Pack 'n Play. (Junior Suites located in the aft of the ship cannot accommodate a rollaway bed.)

When I brought this to RCC attention I was told "maybe you once could but that has now changed and our website can't be updated." What, website can't be updated?? It's updated every weekend! Now I am thinking of arguing the point that when I booked I booked under false information and try to switch to the next sailing even though I have been told if I do I will lose my OBC for the WOW sale (I was aware you couldn't change ships/sail date before booking and this is why I specifically asked about the JS sleeping 5 BEFORE I booked so I would know my upgrade options). Now I know each cabin has a max occupancy for safety reasons so not mad that I can't book it just upset that I was mislead by both RCC rep AND their own website. So I guess my question is would YOU try to argue this and change or just suck it up to a lesson learned (not to believe what you are told and read and go with your instincts). Any advise would be appreciated.

I actually would call back and try talking to someone different. We've heard multiple stories of people receiving different answers to the same questions.

I have called for 3 days now and spoke with different people plus the travel agent I am thinking of changing to has called twice with the same reply...Just wondering if we should keep pushing the issue or let it go..I don't want to have to pay the other 1/2 of the deposit yet because the rear air in our van went out and need to use the money for that and Christmas :p but if they let us change I need to do it ASAP because the balcony/OV combo is limited to only 2 on the ship..Like I stated before, I knew you couldn't change sail date/ship without losing the WOW benefits so if I wasn't told wrong about the JS PLUS it is in plain writing on their website I wouldn't have an issue with it because I KNEW the rules before booking.

I have called for 3 days now and spoke with different people plus the travel agent I am thinking of changing to has called twice with the same reply...Just wondering if we should keep pushing the issue or let it go..I don't want to have to pay the other 1/2 of the deposit yet because the rear air in our van went out and need to use the money for that and Christmas :p but if they let us change I need to do it ASAP because the balcony/OV combo is limited to only 2 on the ship..Like I stated before, I knew you couldn't change sail date/ship without losing the WOW benefits so if I wasn't told wrong about the JS PLUS it is in plain writing on their website I wouldn't have an issue with it because I KNEW the rules before booking.

It sounds to me that the rep you first spoke to had inaccurate info. I have never known a JS to accomodate 5 (except on Carnival).

I will be watching this post to see what RC does. I too am having trouble with them. Was told one thing when I booked and now being told something different. I think their service has gone down so much that we may not be going back on a RC cruise again. Sad to say that but it's true. We will be going on our 13th over all cruise and we shall see how this once compares. We have been on the ship before but before we even leave for the port we are getting the run around!! Service my A*&!

I think in the future, since they record everything, I am going to as well. AND I want everything in writing that I can get. The persons name that I booked with at the cruise line etc. and unless RC steps up to the plate and makes THEIR mistake RIGHT, the next time I book, it will NOT be with them OR their other lines.

I guess you can tell, I'm not very happy with RC right now.

I think in the future, since they record everything, I am going to as well. AND I want everything in writing that I can get. The persons name that I booked with at the cruise line etc. and unless RC steps up to the plate and makes THEIR mistake RIGHT, the next time I book, it will NOT be with them OR their other lines.

IANAL, but I would be careful doing this, unless you announce in advance that you are recording the call, you may be violating the law. You don't want your next cruise to be to the slammer, do you?

It sounds to me that the rep you first spoke to had inaccurate info. I have never known a JS to accomodate 5 (except on Carnival).

It isn't just the rep I spoke with..it states on their website that they will sleep 3-4 and some ALSO accomodate a rollaway bed OR crib. So not was it just the rep it is also their own website that states this. I was told that you could do this before BUT they no longer allow it on the Freedom but the website hasn't been updated. My guess it you could do this BEFORE they built allure and oasis KWIM..

I'm sorry. I don't understand why you didn't book what you wanted in the first place. Good luck!

LOL I knew that someone would say this ;). The fact is, I did book what I wanted but wasn't sure if DH would go without a balcony. I had rather save the money and stay in the FOV I booked but DH insist on a balcony. I made it a point when I booked to address this with the rep and was assured if he wanted a balcony we could go into a JS. Now if I only had to book for 2-3 people I would have waited until I could discuss it with DH but I have a family of 5 with 3 small children which makes balcony/balcony rooms not an option. Since I have to book a family of 5 choices in cabins are limited thus why I booked what I could live with before actually discussing with DH only to find out later he can't live with it :D.

I will be watching this post to see what RC does. I too am having trouble with them. Was told one thing when I booked and now being told something different. I think their service has gone down so much that we may not be going back on a RC cruise again. Sad to say that but it's true. We will be going on our 13th over all cruise and we shall see how this once compares. We have been on the ship before but before we even leave for the port we are getting the run around!! Service my A*&!

I guess you can tell, I'm not very happy with RC right now.

I know how frustrating it is to have issues but don't put RCC off yet. We have to understand they are only doing their job and some of the policies are in place for our own safety and unfortunately with the generation now it has became more of an issue than before. As for recording the conversation, I have the online chat session from last night where the rep told me that they used to book 5 in the JSs but no longer do that but the website hasn't been updated..didn't matter to them at all, still a no go. My TA called to argue the point and even directed the rep to where it states in on their website to no avail. She also told them if they would let me transfer to another ship sail date I would be willing to go to the allure for $5400 instead of changing to a different freedom sailing if they let me keep my OBC and 1/2 deposit which is $1800 more than we are currently paying..she is giving it her best try. My TA did tell me she is calling a sales rep she knows personally at RCC and will see if she can do anything to help and I will hear from her tomorrow. Not really expecting anything to happen but at least she is trying.

It isn't just the rep I spoke with..it states on their website that they will sleep 3-4 and some ALSO accomodate a rollaway bed OR crib. So not was it just the rep it is also their own website that states this. I was told that you could do this before BUT they no longer allow it on the Freedom but the website hasn't been updated. My guess it you could do this BEFORE they built allure and oasis KWIM..

But they still can't go beyond the number of people listed for that particular cabin. If the cabin sleeps 3 and 3 are booked in that cabin that's it - they can't add a rollaway or crib for a 4th person. And if the ship has reached total capacity they may not be able to book 3 in that cabin - just 2. There's a finite number of people that can be on the ship - has to do with the capacity of the lifeboats.

You need to look at the deck plans to see what the capacity of that particular cabin is. They can't go above that capacity.

LOL I knew that someone would say this ;). The fact is, I did book what I wanted but wasn't sure if DH would go without a balcony. I had rather save the money and stay in the FOV I booked but DH insist on a balcony. I made it a point when I booked to address this with the rep and was assured if he wanted a balcony we could go into a JS. Now if I only had to book for 2-3 people I would have waited until I could discuss it with DH but I have a family of 5 with 3 small children which makes balcony/balcony rooms not an option. Since I have to book a family of 5 choices in cabins are limited thus why I booked what I could live with before actually discussing with DH only to find out later he can't live with it :D.

Thank you for clarifying your situation. It seems very complicated trying to meet everyone"s needs. I hope it all works out for you.

thus why I booked what I could live with before actually discussing with DH only to find out later he can't live with it :D.

As a duly anointed representative of the DH club, I'm here to tell you it's always best to do what makes us happy. Learn it...live it. ;-)

my 2 cents.

1. Obviously try to have your TA resolve this.

2. Leave the DH home and use the money you save to fix the van.

3. Take a breath, the sailing is over a year away and quite often people who grabbed something to get the sale/OBC's will realise it's not what they want will cancel and something will open up that works for you.

4. Try something new! we had a family oceanview and loved it! Not sure of the square footage, but it has to be as big as a JS and tons of storage. Also had a magnificent forward facing view from 2 huge windows. Find some pics on the thread and use them to convince DH he CAN do this.

But they still can't go beyond the number of people listed for that particular cabin. If the cabin sleeps 3 and 3 are booked in that cabin that's it - they can't add a rollaway or crib for a 4th person. And if the ship has reached total capacity they may not be able to book 3 in that cabin - just 2. There's a finite number of people that can be on the ship - has to do with the capacity of the lifeboats.

You need to look at the deck plans to see what the capacity of that particular cabin is. They can't go above that capacity.

In regular cabins this is true, however not for all suites. The GS also states for 4 people and can accomodate a roll away and I have been told everytime no about the JS but they tell me I can book that GS (for more than the same price as Family balcony on allure). As I stated before you USED to be able to book 5 in the JS except aft view but they no longer allow this but it still states it is allowed on the website because, and I quote from RCC rep "the website hasn't been updated to reflect the change"

Have you considered adjoining balcony cabins...I imagine there are many of those on board and you will love the extra bathroom with 5 people?

I did consider this but my kids will only be 8, 4 and 4 when we sail so not comfortable with them having access to the balcony if we are asleep in the AM.. also it would be a waste of money to have a 2nd balcony when the dividers can no longer be opened and the kids wouldn't be allowed on their balcony unsupervised.

my 2 cents.

1. Obviously try to have your TA resolve this.

2. Leave the DH home and use the money you save to fix the van.

3. Take a breath, the sailing is over a year away and quite often people who grabbed something to get the sale/OBC's will realise it's not what they want will cancel and something will open up that works for you.

4. Try something new! we had a family oceanview and loved it! Not sure of the square footage, but it has to be as big as a JS and tons of storage. Also had a magnificent forward facing view from 2 huge windows. Find some pics on the thread and use them to convince DH he CAN do this.

You sum up how I feel :D but unfortunately he is paying so I can't leave him at home LOL. I hope something does open up but only 2 cat F ocean views available on the entire ship already..so wondering if it is a travel agent block or a large group is sailing with us..just never know. I have showed him pics of the EXACT cabin we have and he isn't buying. He is a true balcony snob and enjoys sitting out before sunrise and taking pics. I admit I enjoy it also but not enough to make me miserable not having it. I figure if I want to sit out before sunrise I will just go to a public deck but I have to give him a little slack because he isn't really a people person and enjoys his quiet time before attacking the world each day.

something similar happened to us to we are a family of five and booked durring the wow sale I am not sure if I can give my email but please email me it was all fixed and i got what i wanted superstarvicatshawdotca, please read in beteween the lines!!!!!

I tried your email and it didn't go through..please email me at (my user name on here)2009atyahoodotcom

I don't know if and when it may have been changed - but I know on some ships a JS will allow 5 with a rollaway - Ive received a quote for such - its not on the ship the OP is trying to sail however.

IANAL, but I would be careful doing this, unless you announce in advance that you are recording the call, you may be violating the law. You don't want your next cruise to be to the slammer, do you?

In general, wiretapping a call without the consent of "either" caller is not legal- unless done with a warrant. However, in many, if not most, places- as long as one party participating in the conversation knows that the conversation is being recorded- that's perfectly fine.

Either way, if the cruise line tells you they are recording the conversation and the customer service representative knows the call is being recorded and the consumer knows the call is being recorded- have not both of them already consented to being recorded? So what makes the difference if both parties record the same conversation.

Archived