What is at the Port?

mjwcruising

We will be docking in Fredriksburg (SP) on Thanksgiving Day. DH and I are thinking of just getting off the ship and walking around the port area.

I have read that most things may be closed because of the Holiday.

Can anyone tell me what is in the Port area.

Hello MJW! We are going on the same cruise with you. We were in St. Croix last December, and enjoyed a short visit to the town - just walk to the land end of the pier and there it is. There was a pretty little plaza, and a neat old fort to look at.Sat in the shade of a palm tree and drank a cold beer - not exciting but relaxing. There was a little street fair that day - not sure if it was just because a cruise ship was in port. Not sure what will be open on Thanksgiving day. I've looked at the shore excursions offered through Celebrity and not really motivated.

I checked the web site:

world wide web visitstcroix dot com

and sent an e-mail through that web site requesting info about what might be available Thanksgiving Day - I'll let you know what/if I hear from them.

For us, if all else fails, we will sit under a palm tree and chill out!:p

Hello MJW! We are going on the same cruise with you. We were in St. Croix last December, and enjoyed a short visit to the town - just walk to the land end of the pier and there it is. There was a pretty little plaza, and a neat old fort to look at.Sat in the shade of a palm tree and drank a cold beer - not exciting but relaxing. There was a little street fair that day - not sure if it was just because a cruise ship was in port. Not sure what will be open on Thanksgiving day. I've looked at the shore excursions offered through Celebrity and not really motivated.

I checked the web site:

world wide web visitstcroix dot com

and sent an e-mail through that web site requesting info about what might be available Thanksgiving Day - I'll let you know what/if I hear from them.

For us, if all else fails, we will sit under a palm tree and chill out!:p

For us, if all else fails, we will sit under a palm tree and chill out! - That sounds good to me!!

I checked the website you mentioned. Looked into places and found St George Village Botanical Garden will be open and the Whim Museum may be open.

After discussing it with John we decided not to do a tour.

He suggested we just walk around the town if it is near the pier.

Sounds from what you said that is possible. Thanks for the info.

See you on the 18th.

Just watched the Penn State game. Now have to get ready for dinner with our friends here at the house tonight.

Tomorrow I have to get it in gear and start packing.

(I say that everyday, and always find something that keeps me from it)

See you on the 18th. :D

Mary

For us, if all else fails, we will sit under a palm tree and chill out! - That sounds good to me!!

I checked the website you mentioned. Looked into places and found St George Village Botanical Garden will be open and the Whim Museum may be open.

After discussing it with John we decided not to do a tour.

He suggested we just walk around the town if it is near the pier.

Sounds from what you said that is possible. Thanks for the info.

See you on the 18th.

Just watched the Penn State game. Now have to get ready for dinner with our friends here at the house tonight.

Tomorrow I have to get it in gear and start packing.

(I say that everyday, and always find something that keeps me from it)

See you on the 18th. :D

Mary

I hope you enjoy your day in St Croix. I lived there for about a month in the early 1990's. Find a fun bar/restaurant and eat and have a drink or two and enjoy the view.

We were there on a cruise last June. The town of Fredericksted is right at the end of the pier. It is a small town - about 3 or 4 blocks long along the waterfront - with a few shops, a plaza, and a fort. The fort was closed when we were there, but we discovered that if you walk along the water (there is a sidewalk) you can look over the walls and see some of it from the outside. We also experienced the "street fair" ambiance - local crafts and also people selling water, t-shirts, etc. I think they set up when a ship is in port. We discovered that the streets farther from the water are nowhere near as nice at the ones closer to the pier (graffiti, abandoned buildings, etc.). Besides doing some walking in Fredericksted, we walked down to Sandcastle Beach and enjoyed a relaxing day there. Through the resort, we got a day pass that included 2 chairs, 2 rum punches, and 1 umbrella for $25 plus use of their outdoor facilities for the day (bathroom, cafe/bar, pool). I am sure they would be open because they are a hotel. Enjoy your cruise!

We were there on a cruise last June. The town of Fredericksted is right at the end of the pier. It is a small town - about 3 or 4 blocks long along the waterfront - with a few shops, a plaza, and a fort. The fort was closed when we were there, but we discovered that if you walk along the water (there is a sidewalk) you can look over the walls and see some of it from the outside. We also experienced the "street fair" ambiance - local crafts and also people selling water, t-shirts, etc. I think they set up when a ship is in port. We discovered that the streets farther from the water are nowhere near as nice at the ones closer to the pier (graffiti, abandoned buildings, etc.). Besides doing some walking in Fredericksted, we walked down to Sandcastle Beach and enjoyed a relaxing day there. Through the resort, we got a day pass that included 2 chairs, 2 rum punches, and 1 umbrella for $25 plus use of their outdoor facilities for the day (bathroom, cafe/bar, pool). I am sure they would be open because they are a hotel. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the info. There are quite a few people on our roll call that are going to Sandcastle beach:)

• 2 months later...

We had Federiksted, St. Croix as our last Port of Call on a 2011 Holiday cruise (over Christmas, 7 nights) aboard Celebrity's Summit.

Some visuals of the compact Pier area and Boardwalk (still a work in progress; shall upload more photo albums in the next days):

Photos: Arrival in Frederiksted, St. Croix - last Port of Call for Celebrity's Summit (Friday 12.30.2011)

Friday morning, we were welcomed by a live band playing nicely by the Pier in colorful Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S.V.I. (December 30, 2011):

- See short VIDEO here:

St. Croix, the largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands, offers a tranquil tropical destination for vacationers, honeymooners, meeting attendees, scuba divers and more. Rich in cultural diversity, St. Croix has a past filled with a fascinating history.

View photo album (175)

Photos: Pier area & the Boardwalk in Frederiksted, St. Croix (Friday 12.30.2011)

Wondering around the colorful and tranquil Pier before starting our Island Tour with "Sweeny's Tours and Safari" that Friday morning, December 30th 2011.

- See short VIDEO here:

View photo album (115)

• 2 weeks later...
We had Federiksted, St. Croix as our last Port of Call on a 2011 Holiday cruise (over Christmas, 7 nights) aboard Celebrity's Summit.

Some visuals of the compact Pier area and Boardwalk (still a work in progress; shall upload more photo albums in the next days):

Photos: Arrival in Frederiksted, St. Croix - last Port of Call for Celebrity's Summit (Friday 12.30.2011)

Friday morning, we were welcomed by a live band playing nicely by the Pier in colorful Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S.V.I. (December 30, 2011):

- See short VIDEO here:

St. Croix, the largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands, offers a tranquil tropical destination for vacationers, honeymooners, meeting attendees, scuba divers and more. Rich in cultural diversity, St. Croix has a past filled with a fascinating history.

View photo album (175)

Photos: Pier area & the Boardwalk in Frederiksted, St. Croix (Friday 12.30.2011)

Wondering around the colorful and tranquil Pier before starting our Island Tour with "Sweeny's Tours and Safari" that Friday morning, December 30th 2011.

- See short VIDEO here:

View photo album (115)

Thanks for the pics... looks like a very long walk along the pier from the boat... were those trams transp from the ship & back or for excursions...?

we have a snorkel excursion booked through the cruise line (Celebrity)....does anyone know where the meeting place is?

Thanks for the pics... looks like a very long walk along the pier from the boat... were those trams transp from the ship & back or for excursions...?

we have a snorkel excursion booked through the cruise line (Celebrity)....does anyone know where the meeting place is?

There is a complimentary little train/ free shuttle that can take ANYONE from the ship to the Pier in St. Croix (or returning you to the ship):

http://2011holidaycruisecaribbeansummit.shutterfly.com/pictures/12606

http://2011holidaycruisecaribbeansummit.shutterfly.com/pictures/12607

http://2011holidaycruisecaribbeansummit.shutterfly.com/pictures/12574

http://2011holidaycruisecaribbeansummit.shutterfly.com/pictures/12567

http://2011holidaycruisecaribbeansummit.shutterfly.com/pictures/12565

http://2011holidaycruisecaribbeansummit.shutterfly.com/pictures/13790

• 1 month later...

Archived