May have to postpone cruise... ES?

lyttleone1977

Back in April we booked our 7/12 cruise using early saver. We thought we would have no problems getting it paid for being so far out, but circumstances have kinda changed - DH hours have been cut at work, had a couple of bills pop up we were not expecting, etc. We are hoping we can still swing it, but we are exploring all of our options. We know we do not want to cancel, just postpone, but here is the problem. We are sailing the Spirit to Alaska. From what I have been able to find out, normally you have to postpone on the same ship. Problem is, the ship will be in Australia when we would rebook. Any one have any idea how something like this will work? I am not making rash decisions, and when we rebook, it wont be until booking opens up on whatever ship replaces Spirit in Alaska. :confused:

I know that typically most people don't buy travel insurance at the same time they book a cruise. But if someone did, would it cover something like this so that you could recoup the $50.00 cancellation fee? Just curious.:confused:

Yes in our case it did. Had to buy insurance that covered pre-existing conditions and it covered everything including airfare.

I do hope you get to go though. I was on the Spirit to Alaska in September and it's an awesome cruise! Nancy

My husband and I sailed her to Alaska in 2010 for our honeymoon, and really wanted to take our kids on her before she leaves, so hopefully we still can but we'll see. I wish I knew which ship was replacing her, would make the decision a little easier.

I had to do the same thing about a month ago.. They just charged me the $50.00 cancellation fee and I have up to 24 months to rebook my cruise:D

did you rebook at the same time you cancellled?

I have read that if you cancel the $50pp cancellation fee is charged and the money is held for 2 years like you said but when you rebook later on down the road you need to put down a new deposit.

So just wondering if that was your case or not.

Bill

I know that typically most people don't buy travel insurance at the same time they book a cruise. But if someone did, would it cover something like this so that you could recoup the $50.00 cancellation fee? Just curious.:confused:

In the OP's case it would have to be a cancel for any reason policy instead of a normal policy since they would not be cancelling for health reasons.

Bill

In the OP's case it would have to be a cancel for any reason policy instead of a normal policy since they would not be cancelling for health reasons.

Bill

Most policies cover loss of employment/income as well. I would depend on the exact wording of the policy as to whether it covers cutbacks in hours, or not.

Ok I'm getting confused now. Are we going to lose our entire deposit or just have the 50 fee pp? and there is no trip insurance.

Just $50pp. The rest can be used as a deposit if u book the next cruise at the time you are cancelling.

Otherwise you have 24 months to use the balance but it can't be used as a deposit.

Not sure if they deduct it from your balance or it is an obc.

Bill

Archived