Traffic to North Shore of Oahu

edgeman61

The DW and I are planning to rent a car on disembarkation day and perhaps drive up to the North Shore of Oahu.

It will be the Saturday after Thanksgiving, will the traffic from Honolulu be horrific with all the after Thanksgiving shoppers out and about? I've heard it can be pretty slow going during the winter months anyway when the waves are up and the surfers are out.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I would think you will encounter a lot of traffic that Saturday. Not necessarily shoppers, but Thanksgiving is a 4 day weekend for most and North Shore will be a popular destination. The second of three competitions in the Triple Crown will also begin on November 25 at Sunset Beach. Make sure you pack a good attitude and possibly have an alternate plan if you reach the outskirts of Haleiwa and the traffic is already stop and go. For me it would be worth driving to Haleiwa, picking up lunch, and enjoying it on one of the beaches watching the surfers. If you come in from the other direction, stop at Ted's Bakery. Hope you have a great time. Cherie

We tried to drive to the North Shore the day after Thanksgiving several years ago. We got stuck for HOURS in the traffic heading to the surfing competition taking place up there. Our friends in the back seat were hungover and cranky. Everyone just wanted to be able to get out of the car and find a restaurant for lunch...and a drink! Not a fun day :( Really wish we had stayed in Waikiki!!

Archived