I've Been Reading About Alaska.......

sail7seas

• 2 months later...

Seems I'm bringing this thread forward as DH started discussing Alaska with me again this weekend. I thought maybe he'd 'forget about' it but he hasn't.

Is mid to late June a good time to go to Alaska or should we go later in the season?

What would be the downside?

Thanks for all the Alaska help you've given. :o

I think you should just book it. Its only seven days, for you who is not interested in trecking around the backcountry of Alaska its only two ports (with shopping near by) and a wonderful day of scenic cruising (where you can see it from inside if it is cool outside).

You get to have a relaxing cruise in a SA suite on a HAL ship, your DH gets to say he went to Alaska.

Seems like a win win.

Any thoughts you could share about Oosterdam's seven day cruise from Seattle?

Seattle

At sea

Scenic Cruising Tracy Arm

Juneau

Sitka

Victoria

Seattle

Thanks.

Since this could be you only cruise to Alaska I personally think you need to pick an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay National Park. While Tracy Arm is beautiful and scenic you will not get the close up viewing of the glaciers.

I would choose the Westerdam or even do the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver. Or do a sort of B2B take the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver that returns on a Saturday then take the train from Vancouver to Seattle stay the night at the Fairmont downtown (HAL still has the special Pre or post if you book a Suite for a free night stay) then board the Oosterdam. That way you get Sitka and Skagway. Plus get to see both beautiful cities.

DH and I live in ME and so a cruise to Alaska was last on my list. However I'm happy to say it was an awesome trip and one I remember fondly. We did the 7 day cruise out of Vancouver and it was just the right length. We flew non stop from Boston into Vancouver and stayed at the Fairmont which is right across the street from the cruise terminal. Vancouver is a fantastic city and as others have said is a must for a few days pre cruise. They have wonderful restaurants and great little shops and gardens.

I say give in to DH on this one. I think you both will have a good time.

Is mid to late June a good time to go to Alaska or should we go later in the season?

Weather in Alaska is a crap shoot (where have I heard that before?). However, mid-June through late July gives the best chance of good weather with warmer temperatures. Mid to late June also has the longest "days" as it's close to the summer solstice. Those long, lingering sunsets are worth staying up to watch for a while.

I agree with Lisa that you should go to Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm if this is expected to be your only visit to Alaska. Tracy Arm is gorgeous scenery, I grant, but Glacier Bay has more variety of similar scenery.

I also think you should take a good look at the Zuiderdam/Volendam itinerary out of Vancouver. Glacier Bay and some interesting ports. Vancouver is a world-class city, well worth the few days you like to take before a cruise.

Since this could be you only cruise to Alaska I personally think you need to pick an itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay National Park. While Tracy Arm is beautiful and scenic you will not get the close up viewing of the glaciers.

I would choose the Westerdam or even do the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver. Or do a sort of B2B take the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver that returns on a Saturday then take the train from Vancouver to Seattle stay the night at the Fairmont downtown (HAL still has the special Pre or post if you book a Suite for a free night stay) then board the Oosterdam. That way you get Sitka and Skagway. Plus get to see both beautiful cities.

Thanks, Lisa.

DH cannot take 17-18 days out of his office for an Alaska cruise and I CERTAINLY don't want 14 days of it for a b-to-b. Seven days is my limit. I think the air arrrangements for us are better Boston to Seattle.

I have limitation on my endurance and seeing this is not a place I'm panting to visit :), getting there and home easiest possible is a priority for DH. He knows if I'm misesrable getting there, it is not going to be a good experience for us. I hate long distance flights and tire too much to easily 'roll with it'.

We also have decided since we are going, we want to sail one of the two HAL ships we've yet to sail and Oosterdam is one. We've sailed all but that and Prinsendam and repeated times on most.

So,,,,, whatever he gets to see will be more than he expected I'd agree to so hopefully he'll enjoy it adequately to be pleased. This is all about him this trip. :) HE more than deserves it.

DH and I live in ME and so a cruise to Alaska was last on my list. However I'm happy to say it was an awesome trip and one I remember fondly. We did the 7 day cruise out of Vancouver and it was just the right length. We flew non stop from Boston into Vancouver and stayed at the Fairmont which is right across the street from the cruise terminal. Vancouver is a fantastic city and as others have said is a must for a few days pre cruise. They have wonderful restaurants and great little shops and gardens.

I say give in to DH on this one. I think you both will have a good time.

Thank you, Huskerchick. This is really what I needed to read. :)

Everyone in this thread has been so helpful, I'm sure I can find plenty to make for a pleasant time for me while DH goes looking at glaciers and bears or whatever it is he wants to see and do. :D

A pretty garden, some nice ships, an easy tour to include a salmon lunch, a nice museum or two and a beautiful HAL ship......

How can I not enjoy that? If all that happens, I'll come home very happy we went. :)

Weather in Alaska is a crap shoot (where have I heard that before?). However, mid-June through late July gives the best chance of good weather with warmer temperatures. Mid to late June also has the longest "days" as it's close to the summer solstice. Those long, lingering sunsets are worth staying up to watch for a while.

I agree with Lisa that you should go to Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm if this is expected to be your only visit to Alaska. Tracy Arm is gorgeous scenery, I grant, but Glacier Bay has more variety of similar scenery.

I also think you should take a good look at the Zuiderdam/Volendam itinerary out of Vancouver. Glacier Bay and some interesting ports. Vancouver is a world-class city, well worth the few days you like to take before a cruise.

Ruth, Thanks for making me hopeful for June weather. I know about the dress in layers and bring capri pants and polo short sleeves but I'll also pack a hat and gloves and zip out liner jacket. :)

Seems DH has decided on Oosterdam and I agree. It might not be the very best choice but it's the one he chose. I'd really like to see Vancouver as I've heard so many good things about it but we've never seen Seattle either so that will be new to us. We'll come in some time ahead of the cruise and hopefully will enjoy a visit there.

We have friends in Seattle we'd really like to see and that is a big factor in the choices DH is making.

Any thoughts you could share about Oosterdam's seven day cruise from Seattle?

Seattle

At sea

Juneau

Sitka

Victoria

Seattle

Thanks.

Sitka is a jewel. It is a tender port, so be aware of that. It is WELL worth taking the tender to see it. I wish they would do Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan again.

I'm surprised this itin doesn't go to Ketchikan -- usually the ship spend 5 or so hours in Ketchikan. Does this mean you get a full day in Victoria?

Leaving from Seattle you will miss a LOT of gorgeous scenery but the trade-off is you get Sitka.

Thanks for the good news about Sitka. We watched the movie Proposal and thought it had been shot in Sitka but came to learn that a lot was shot in Gloucester, MA..... clear across the country. My dad was born in Gloucester so it'll be fun for me to visit there and compare. Clearly they must look something alike or the movie couldn't have used both.

When you say we'll miss gorgeous scenery, do you mean from the ship or from tours ashore?

Will we see much pretty scenery from aboard or will Tracy Arm be the only scenic 'from ship' sailling?

I think Victoria is just evening.

Leaving from Seattle you will miss a day of scenic cruising between Vcr Island and the mainland. You will get great scenery approaching and IN Sitka, and Juneau. I think Tracy Arm is fabulous, BUT we were there on a day with full sun and 70F temps :) in late Sept, so we got nearly to the glaciers. In June, there may be a lot of ice, which might reduce how far into the fjord you can actually get.

Any trip is a trade-off -- you give up something to get something else. For you, leaving from Seattle is very important. So you miss a bit of other stuff. If you left from Vcr, you would have to give up leaving from Seattle, y'know? Only you can decide which is most important, and it sounds like you have. Oosterdam. Leaving from Seattle. It'll be fine.

EDITED TO ADD: Get off your balcony, and view from other areas of the ship. On a balcony you see only part of what is available. In Alaska you will be doing yourself a huge disservice to remain on your own balcony. Or at least insist that your DH get out and about to see the majesty of the area.

sail I think you will really enjoy the 7-day cruise on the Oosterdam. We enjoyed our first one so much that we booked our second for June. We are cruise newbies so we are looking forward to many more. You will love the scenery and much has already been said about the ports of call.

VIEW SHORE EXCURSIONS FOR THIS CRUISE

Email this ebrochure

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 06 May 2012 Seattle, Washington, US 04:00 PM

0 06 May 2012 Puget Sound CO

1 07 May 2012 At Sea

2 08 May 2012 Tracy Arm, Alaska, US CO

3 09 May 2012 Juneau, Alaska, US 07:00 AM 06:00 PM

4 10 May 2012 Sitka, Alaska, US TR 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

5 11 May 2012 Ketchikan, Alaska, US 07:00 AM 01:00 PM

6 12 May 2012 Victoria, British Columbia, CA 06:00 PM 11:59 PM

7 13 May 2012 Seattle, Washington, US 07:00 AMWe visited Glacier Bay on the last trip but this one cruises Tracy Arm. You do get to visit Ketchikan on this cruise.

Nutensteve......

You are so right. I made a mistake when typing the itinerary.

I should have put:

Seattle

At sea

Juneau

Sitka

Ketchikan[/b]

Victoria

Seattle

Also thank you for sharing what a good time you had on that cruise.

Hope you enjoy it just as much again.

:) Maybe we'll be on the same week.

Next question is, of course, the nicest hotel that is nearest the Pike's Market and convenient to the dock?

I've read about Fairmount? Is that the highest rated one considering convenient location to Pikes etc?

Anyone who minds me having HAL CC'ers plan our whole cruise and precruise stay, please say so and I'll cease. :o

Leaving from Seattle you will miss a day of scenic cruising between Vcr Island and the mainland. You will get great scenery approaching and IN Sitka, and Juneau. I think Tracy Arm is fabulous, BUT we were there on a day with full sun and 70F temps :) in late Sept, so we got nearly to the glaciers. In June, there may be a lot of ice, which might reduce how far into the fjord you can actually get.

Any trip is a trade-off -- you give up something to get something else. For you, leaving from Seattle is very important. So you miss a bit of other stuff. If you left from Vcr, you would have to give up leaving from Seattle, y'know? Only you can decide which is most important, and it sounds like you have. Oosterdam. Leaving from Seattle. It'll be fine.

EDITED TO ADD: Get off your balcony, and view from other areas of the ship. On a balcony you see only part of what is available. In Alaska you will be doing yourself a huge disservice to remain on your own balcony. Or at least insist that your DH get out and about to see the majesty of the area.

All great advice and I promise to heed it. :)

How did you know my inclination would be to remain on our veranda for most of the scenic cruising but I know you're right...... same as for Panama Canal.

I don't mind about tendering. That's no big deal to us.

sail .... That would be great to be on the same cruise. We stayed in Seattle before our last cruise and enjoyed the relaxation of not being stressed about boarding the ship on time. This time we arrive in Seattle about 3-1/2 hours before sail time...gulp. We should be ok though as we only have a short 2-1/2 hour direct flight from Long Beach.

I really think that you are doing yourselves a disservice by not choosing an Inner Passage cruise out of Alaska Sails if you are only going to Alaska once. They are 7 days but the difference with an outside passage trip is HUGE. I know you and DH would just love the days of scenic passage probably even more than any of the ports.

I just had to add my 2 cents as that itinerary is the REAL Alaskan cruise, the scenery is indescribably beautiful and the wildlife is amazing!! We spent hours sitting on the balcony just watching the scenery go by. More special is doing that in the late evening light that you will get around June.

Please rethink the inner passage, I really think it is the one thing that will make you love this cruise and DH will be amazed at the skill it takes to navigate it.

Choosing a ship over an itinerary in the Carribean is one thing, but here in Alaska, itinerary should guide you IMHO.

Seems I'm bringing this thread forward as DH started discussing Alaska with me again this weekend. I thought maybe he'd 'forget about' it but he hasn't.

What would be the downside?

Thanks for all the Alaska help you've given. :o

Sail, mid-late May is the driest time of the year in Alaska. We went 5/19 and had clear skies the whole way (except Ketchikan, which is always drizzly). I actually got a sunburn! Alaska was the best cruise I've ever had and would go back in a heartbeat! Be sure to sail out of Vancouver, you will have mountains outside your balcony that you feel you could just reach out and touch. Also in Vancouver, be sure to visit Granville Public Market for the yummy food and goodies, and visit Go Fish, which is a fish shack across the bay for the best, and I mean the best fish and chips ever! Go and have a fabulous time!:D

I really think that you are doing yourselves a disservice by not choosing an Inner Passage cruise out of Alaska Sails if you are only going to Alaska once. They are 7 days but the difference with an outside passage trip is HUGE. I know you and DH would just love the days of scenic passage probably even more than any of the ports.

I just had to add my 2 cents as that itinerary is the REAL Alaskan cruise, the scenery is indescribably beautiful and the wildlife is amazing!! We spent hours sitting on the balcony just watching the scenery go by. More special is doing that in the late evening light that you will get around June.

Please rethink the inner passage, I really think it is the one thing that will make you love this cruise and DH will be amazed at the skill it takes to navigate it.

Choosing a ship over an itinerary in the Carribean is one thing, but here in Alaska, itinerary should guide you IMHO.

What she said.

I am not a nature/outdoorsy person and was absolutely captivated by the Inside Passage cruise to Alaska. And Glacier Bay is the most incredible natural wonder I have ever seen - mind you I haven't seen many, and I was "meh" on the Grand Canyon - LOL; but it is really incredible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAFFNVEGAS viewpost.gif

Yes there are plenty of Taxi's but Seattle also has a lot of Limos / Town Car Services. Last Year when we got out of the airport we took one of the Limos, the guy who was our Limo driver gave us a card and said to call it when we get off the ship and he would take us to a hotel or the airport. Pricing for the limo is the same as a taxi if not even less.

Thanks, Lisa.

It appears DH wants to do the Oosterdam cruise and that is the one we will probably do. Who knows? Maybe we'll return and do another itinerary another time. In any case, he feels this is the least wear and tear on me getting to Seattle and home and we REALLY want to see friends in Seattle. Part of us going to the Pacific Northwest is to see these friends and see what 'their corner of the world' looks like. :) We all make our travel choices for all sorts of reasons.

We'd love to see and sail with Captain van der Loo again. We sailed many times with him on Maasdam and have always thought extremely highly of him...... as we do all HAL Captains. He's a fine gentleman.

What do you suggest as 'best' hotel in Seattle for pre and post cruise stays? We want to be walking distance to Pikes Market etc but want a really nice hotel. We're willing to pay a bit for it as our hotel stay will be important to us and we don't usually economize on 'just staying anywhere' for certain visits. Sometimes that's okay but not for this trip. :o

Thanks.

I posted this on the other thread 'Please Compare'. I absolutely respect everyone's opinion we should do Inside Passage and am sure you are right but we really want a pre and post cruise stay in Seattle. We also want easiest possible cross country travel for my limited stamina. We both want to sail Oosterdam.

A BIG feature also is we want to know we have our Suite booked as always. We postively will not be doing a combination land/sea tour with HAL. We cannot reserve a Suite if we don't do the land portion. We've read here repeatedly that HAL will not sell Suites to people who aren't doing land touring until they know they have some suites unsold. We aren't going to wait until they allow us to select a suite AND have to take whatever is left over after those who are doing land tour pick what they want.

So....... I greatly appreciate all the Inside Passage comments but it won't be inside passage for us this time. Maybe we'll return some day. :shrug: Probably not but lots of people do the cruise we've selected so apparently there must be some things to like about it? (I hope. :cool: )

Next question is, of course, the nicest hotel that is nearest the Pike's Market and convenient to the dock?

I've read about Fairmount? Is that the highest rated one considering convenient location to Pikes etc?

Anyone who minds me having HAL CC'ers plan our whole cruise and precruise stay, please say so and I'll cease. :o

Inn at the Market, hand down! http://www.innatthemarket.com/

My SO and I did Alaska at the end of a repositioning cruise - we came from the Katchatkan Peninsula gaining a day as we crossed the international dateline. My interest in that trip was mainly Japan and Russia but I was dazzled by Alaska! I've been many places and have seen awesome scenery but Alaska beat them all. It was also very nice to meet the many native Alaskans and transplant who are hardy,self sufficient people. We stayed a few days in Vancouver and found it an enjoyable and sophisticated city.m

Hi

Oh wow I went on this cruise last June. I can't wait to go back. I am trying to find a ggod deal so I can book. If I had more money I would have gone back last year.

this cruise is just wonderful. The Ship is great and crew will treat you like a king. The Ititinerary is just unbelivable. you will see beauty thay will take your breath away. this will be the last time Hal is offering this cruise. I am waiting for prices to drop

Mary

Archived