Snorkeling for Non-swimmers??

logan25

Any guidance for snorkeling excursions with sufficient flotation equipment to make the non-swimmer comfortable?

A lot of the snorkeling excursions I research seem to be bare bones without any flotation aids. One I took in Hawaii passed out vests and had noodles available. Using those and a barefoot wetsuit, I felt comfortable enough to dip a toe in the water. The company personnel aboard were very vigilant to keep a watchful eye on the customers to assist as needed.

The vast majority of operators supply either inflatable vests or at the least foam vests to enable you to float effortlessly. The inflatable type are best, but I've never seen one that didn't provide at least the foam type. We've been on catamarans with excellent crews who are very alert.

There are also areas you can snorkel right off the beach such as Sapphire and Coki beaches in St Thomas, Smuggler's Cove in Tortola, and beaches in Belize, Roatan and other spots.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived