Passport Question

abhb

My daughter got married in July and has changed her name on everything but her passport. She and I decided to take a mother/daughter cruise on January 2. Does she need to get a new passport or do you think bringing her marriage cetificate will work? I am afraid that she might not have enough time to get a new one. Thanks for any help you can give.

The Passport Office has a page for name changes associated with marriage, at http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

Interesting in that the process (and fees) differ depending on how long ago her passport was issued.

If she decides to change to her married name in her passport, some of the commercial visa services can help to expedite the process. Otherwise, paying the expedite fee can speed it up.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Since the only id she would have to show for the ship is her passport, if she books under her passport name,she should be good. I don't know if it would complicate things if her

cc is a different name, or her C&A

The best scenario would be a new passport so everything would be under one name, so I would investigate exactly how long that would take.

Another thing to consider, a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise beginning and ending in the U.S. If she brings her birth certificate, her driver's license and her marriage certificate (to show the chain for her name change), that should also be sufficient I.D. As others have said though, the easiest way to do it would be to just register her for the cruise under the name on her passport.

The Passport Office has a page for name changes associated with marriage, at http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

Interesting in that the process (and fees) differ depending on how long ago her passport was issued.

If she decides to change to her married name in her passport, some of the commercial visa services can help to expedite the process. Otherwise, paying the expedite fee can speed it up.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Passport processing times are pretty short right now. Recently had my passport renewed and received within 7 calendar days! (paid the expedite fee)

Another thing to consider, a passport is not required for a closed loop cruise beginning and ending in the U.S. If she brings her birth certificate, her driver's license and her marriage certificate (to show the chain for her name change), that should also be sufficient I.D. As others have said though, the easiest way to do it would be to just register her for the cruise under the name on her passport.

If she does that she should also bring her passport, just in case she has to fly home

there is enough time to get a new passport. while she can book the cruise under the name on her passport, in some ports, she will need the seapass along with a picture ID, Nassau comes to mind but there may be others, so she would always have to carry her marriage certificate as well..

Less hassle to get a new passport.. makes life easier and the processing times are low right now.... hope it helps..

Archived