POA - Hawaii Tips

travelteach326

Go to the Cruise Critic message board that is devoted to the Port of Hawaii, there you will find tons of info including links, reviews, commentary etc

And thanks to you for the fantastic review of your cruise last July! My DH and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your stories and felt like we shared your journey with you!

The POA-Hawaii was my wife and I first cruise. We had a blast and have been enjoying NCL ever since. We both have been living in Hawaii for the past 4 years, well when we're not in Iraq that is. We took this cruise within our first year there and thought it would be a great way to check out cruising and the islands. We have since been to the Big Island two more times and Maui one more. Why by no means experts, it gives you some background on my comments:

1) We took helicopter rides over the Big Island and Kaua'i. We'd highly recommend the helicopter tour over Kaua'i. It was absolutely the most beautiful thing we did... we still talk about it today. We'd pass on the Big Island one.

2) The luau we did on Kaua', we thought, was great. The best luau we've probably been too. And we've been to a few.

3) Road to Hana on Maui is interesting and somewhat neat to see the WHOLE island... but it's LONG... and if you get car sick at all, not pleasant. My wife was woosy for quite a while. We'd pass on this and not recommend it. But I'm sure others would definitely recommend this. It just wasn't for us. Probably would hit just hit up a beach or some type of water excursion in Maui.

We did POA in 2009 for our 20th anniversary. On Maui we rented a car and drove to Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau. Also drove along the road beforehand to explore. Everyone does the Road to Hana, so it was nice to not be in the crowd.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters out of Hilo gave us a fantastic flight over the volcano. So cool!!

Surfing Poipu Beach at the last port was a blast!!!

Enjoy the trip. The islands are amazing!!!

If you are a golfer, then you might want to read my review of our cruise on POA. We were on the 4/30/11 sailing with myself, my DH and 2 other couples and had a great time golfing on the islands. You can find my review by going to the Shore Excursions forum then searching "hawaii golf," then scroll down to 5/12/11 postings to find my review. Sorry, I'm not computer savvy enough to give you the link here.

I believe it was this one. We did the one that was offered as a shore excursion through NCL. Maybe there are more now, but this one looks familiar:

http://luaukalamaku.com/

Open air, neat seating, show goes on throughout whole area, open bar, great show, story and performances.

If you like cattle herding then this is the luau for you, anywhere from 800 to 1000 or more people.They stagger the buses to get you there and back.

Archived