Room near the elevator

phinn

Booked our first H/A cruise on the Westerdam for the southern caribbean this coming February. We took a room (6110) which is next to the elevator. Anyone been in this room before? Are we going to hear it all night long? Would we be better off changing rooms while there are still some others available? Appreciate any input.

We have been in 4043 on 3 cruises and it is closer to the elevators than where you are and we seldom heard anything. Maybe very late at night you could hear a faint "ding" from the bell but that was it. And I am a light sleeper. ;)

Ditto posts #2 and #3. We've been closer to elevators than 6110 and only heard faint dings late at night sometimes. The more frequent noise is people getting off the elevators late at night after having left a bar and talking and laughing very loudly ... until they get down near their rooms! :rolleyes:

There has been some mention of cabins on either side of the glass elevators regarding privacy issues.
6110 is near the aft elevator bank.

The more frequent noise is people getting off the elevators late at night after having left a bar and talking and laughing very loudly ... until they get down near their rooms! :rolleyes:

But noisy revelers can do that anywhere, not just near elevators. :D

Booked our first H/A cruise on the Westerdam for the southern caribbean this coming February. We took a room (6110) which is next to the elevator. Anyone been in this room before? Are we going to hear it all night long? Would we be better off changing rooms while there are still some others available? Appreciate any input.

Any stateroom that is NOT beneath the galley (or across from a launderette) is a great stateroom! ;):)

We always book a cabin near the glass elevators (Vista & Signature), and have never been bothered by any unusual noises.

On two of our Noordam b2b's, we met a couple who always booked a stateroom closest to the glass elevators on the Verandah deck! For a month...they loved that location.

Kind of makes sense...central to everything. We always book abaft of midship...out of habit.

I was concerned about the location of our VC room on the Eurodam last week as it was located essentially where VB6127 is on your deck on the Westerdam. However, my concern was unfounded as we never heard anyone in the elevator lobby (or "dings") anytime night or day. The people in the room next to ours were more annoying allowing their verandah door to slam shut fairly often than any noises from the elevator lobby. You should be fine.

If you have a verandah, and if the elevator is a glass one, when you are on your verandah, those in the glass elevator have a view of you and you of them...we did experience this on the Zuiderdam and it was not a real problem. The elevators zipped past and no one was looking at the verandahs to speak of. Oh, and no "elevator" noise either, that was the best news of all.

We did 24 days in cabin 5150 on the Westerdam. If you check out the deck plans, you will see that it is right next to a bank of 4 elevators.

We noticed no noise whatsoever from the elevators and we found that being so close was actually very convenient.

I had a cabin on the Noordam that was right next to the elevator lobby. People noise was not an issue, but I did hear the 'dings' - it was a little irritating late at night. On the other hand, I loved the convenience!

Archived