Locked out on the balcony......no help in sight.

cschultz

We just returned from a Carnival cruise last night. While getting some sun on the balcony, we were accidently locked out of our cabin. We had one of the larger balconies, I was sitting in a lounge chair at one end, my husband seated in a chair near the door at the other end, enjoying a good book. The room steward came to clean our room, and then came out to clean the glass on the balcony. The assistant was helping him. We told them to go about their business, as they were not disturbing us. This was a port day, and the ship was fairly empty. When they finished, they went back into the room, and I thought that I heard a click. I said to my husband, you don't think that they just locked the balcony door, do you? He of course blew it off and said that I was imagining things. By the time I got to the door, I found that it was indeed locked and the room steward and his assistant were already gone. My husband, who never panics, said "I'm sure that they will be out shortly to clean the next balcony" We returned to our books and waited over 20 minutes to no avail. I started yelling for anyone that might hear me. My husband, who now has the alias "spider man" or "Monkey man" was climbing on the chairs at both sides of the balcony trying to knock on the walls of the cabins beside us. Again, to no avail. When he finally started to panic, (mother nature was calling), he decided he had no other option but to climb over the balcony divider to the next cabin. Luckily the door was unlocked, and he went thru their cabin out to the hallway and got the room steward to let him back into our cabin. (Luckily the people in the next cabin were seated with us at dinner, so he did not feel too uncomfortable invading their cabin) After it was all over, we had a good laugh over it, but it could have been a disaster. Our neighbors, who nicknamed my husband spider man, said "you should have just shouted Bar Service, and someone would have been right there to help you" Please note: details have been omitted to protect the room steward, who did this as a matter of routine. I was shocked though that no one from security saw this occur on the cameras that they say are everywhere. I was kind of expecting a knock on our door after this incident.

You can't pay for that kind of excitement!:D

I suppose this is one of those stories you'll tell now and laugh, but at the time it wasn't too funny! :eek:

It was pretty scary at the time. The balcony was getting hotter and hotter as time went on.

Also, I was pretty nervous watching my husband (in his 50's) climb from the chair, onto the balcony railing (which they had just polished) , then over the top of the divider. I wasn't sure how much weight that would support. But alls well that ends well, I guess. I' m just glad that this happened to us, and not to the elderly couple on the other side of us. That could have been a disaster.

When he finally started to panic, (mother nature was calling), he decided he had no other option but to climb over the balcony divider to the next cabin. Luckily the door was unlocked, and he went thru their cabin out to the hallway and got the room steward to let him back into our cabin. (Luckily the people in the next cabin were seated with us at dinner, so he did not feel too uncomfortable invading their cabin) After it was all over, we had a good laugh over it, but it could have been a disaster. Our neighbors, who nicknamed my husband spider man, said "you should have just shouted Bar Service, and someone would have been right there to help you" Please note: details have been omitted to protect the room steward, who did this as a matter of routine. I was shocked though that no one from security saw this occur on the cameras that they say are everywhere. I was kind of expecting a knock on our door after this incident.

How scarey..its ok to laugh about it now, but you are correct it could have been a disaster..what if your husband had fallen..he could of been seriously hurt..or worse if he fell from the balcony railing that he had to step on..he could of fallen and hit something on the way down..I would be expecting something much more than a knock on the door..I would have been at guest services telling them what I thought..I am very sorry this happened to you and even more sorry that no one even came to at least apologize..:mad:

How scarey..its ok to laugh about it now, but you are correct it could have been a disaster..what if your husband had fallen..he could of been seriously hurt..or worse if he fell from the balcony railing that he had to step on..he could of fallen and hit something on the way down..I would be expecting something much more than a knock on the door..I would have been at guest services telling them what I thought..I am very sorry this happened to you and even more sorry that no one even came to at least apologize..:mad:

The assistant, who was the one that locked us out, apologized to us every time that he saw us in the hall. We did not report this to guest services, as we were afraid what would happen to the assistant for doing this. We did not want to see him fired to making a mistake. We were stuck out there for probably 45 minutes to an hour at most. Now if I had been alone, I would have been much more upset, and physically unable to do what my husband did. Who knows how long I would have been stuck out there.

The assistant, who was the one that locked us out, apologized to us every time that he saw us in the hall. We did not report this to guest services, as we were afraid what would happen to the assistant for doing this. We did not want to see him fired to making a mistake. We were stuck out there for probably 45 minutes to an hour at most. Now if I had been alone, I would have been much more upset, and physically unable to do what my husband did. Who knows how long I would have been stuck out there.

well thats good..at first it looked like no one even came to apologize because you said no one even came to knock on the door..and I understand not wanting someone to get in trouble or fired..I wouldn't want that either, but am still concerned of what your husband had to do to get yall out of the situation..it could of turned out worse..I am glad you are all ok..

On a girls trip to Playa Del Carmen a few years ago my friends and I all walked onto the balcony of our room and got locked out in our long sleeves and jackets. (right after we got there) We screamed and waved to loads of workers coming on to their shift and they just waved. Finally, after about an hour someone someone came onto the balcony by ours and called for someone to let us back into the room. We laugh about that all the time now!

Yikes! Glad everyone is OK. I have never been locked out on the balcony but once I was locked out of our cabin when my husband was on the balcony. He couldn't hear me knocking. It was embarkation day so lots of people were going in and out of their cabins at the time. I just went down a couple of cabins to where some people were just getting settled in and asked them if I could go out on their balcony and holler for my husband to let me in.

I would have been scared to death, especially if I were alone out there. I know on the aft balconies, which we frequent, it gets extremely hot out there. Yikes !

Once, on the Carnival Miracle, I was stuck in an elevator. All by myself. Fortunately, before I panicked too much, it started to work again, but it was a very scary 4 or 5 minutes !

This happened to us when we got married in Las Vegas... but not because of the room steward... because of defective door. Our room was looking over a parking garage with a roof so there was no one to call down too... It took me awhile to realize I had my cell phone (nonsmart phone with no internet) in my pocket. We couldn't look up the hotel phone number so I called my mom who in turn contacted the hotel to help us!

It was a little scary at first... we were yelling hoping someone would hear.... I would NEVER have been able to watch the husband scale the building or cross over to the other balcony... YIKES!

I believe you did the right thing. I'm sure the assistant feels terrible enough about it and learned his/her lesson. I am glad this turned out as well as it did.

Very dangerous to climb around the railings. I probably would have done the same thing but the best thing to do, if you couldn't get anyone's attention, would be to take the table and brak the glass on the balcony door.
I understood it that he climbed over the balcony divider, not out over the railing.

Those heavy tempered glass doors would not be easily broken.

I have always had this fear. I cant even imagine how nervous you might have been about the hubby doing the Spidey thing.

I dont even stand close to the edge of my balcony when on a cruise. My fear of falling would definitely prevent me from climbing to the next one. Even if it was over the balcony divider. Your husband has lots of courage.

So glad this situation worked out well.

After pulling back into port of Miami, I was completely locked out of the ship... it was horrifying. And I'm still suffering from it to this day.

They did this to us as well!!! Oh the nerve of them! I was so traumatized that I booked another cruise and sail on 11/20. LOL

Note to self: Always carry a hand towel to put into the door jam. I'll have nightmares about getting locked on my balcony. Yikes, can't imagine my DH climbing the wall to invade another cabin.

Glad it came out all right.

I usually carry a small Maglite similar to this one, which I jam into the door closer at the top of the door.

When I was on my first cruise I got locked out. I wouldn't listen to my friend who suggested I take sea sickness meds. It didn't take long for me to start feeling queezy. I spent the first evening in bed in the room. At dinner time I ordered room service. While in my nightshirt, I opened the door and set the tray outside. I didn't realize the door would lock behind me. I ended up finding a guest who found a cabin steward. How embarrassing!

Archived