Locked out on the balcony......no help in sight.

cschultz

Very dangerous to climb around the railings. I probably would have done the same thing but the best thing to do, if you couldn't get anyone's attention, would be to take the table and brak the glass on the balcony door.

My husband had to do it once in a hotel in middle east. Old fashioned key door could't be unlocked from inside. Colleague had gone off with key and left another guys luggage lodged in the room. In order to catch the flight 6'4" 280lb hubby had to first swing himself over bacony to next room, then swing packed luggage back over and then himself back again. Of course, that was 30 years ago. I woulnt let him try that today

I guess it makes for a good laugh now after the fact ! my only question would be what would have happened had it been a day at sea :eek: ! ! ! good thing you also had good neighbors ! definitely a moment that neither you or spider man will ever forget :D

Glad to hear it had a happy ending ! ! !

Glad no one got hurt but also glad it wasn't a cove balcony.

The necessary "nature call" would've been more easily... relieved being that close to the water, with no one beneath you. Not ideal, but an option none the less ;)

OP, glad you were together.. I keep thinking how infrequent DH would go back to our rooms during the day; we were in a big family group, and rarely were we all together, all the time. Had one of us gotten locked out there :eek: it would probably be dinner time before we'd notice!

I understood it that he climbed over the balcony divider, not out over the railing.

Those heavy tempered glass doors would not be easily broken.

I think you'd need a ladder to get high enough to scale the divider and when you did get over you'd have a 6' drop. I'll bet he climbed around the rail.

I think you'd need a ladder to get high enough to scale the divider and when you did get over you'd have a 6' drop. I'll bet he climbed around the rail.
See below.

When he finally started to panic, (mother nature was calling), he decided he had no other option but to climb over the balcony divider to the next cabin. Luckily the door was unlocked, and he went thru their cabin out to the hallway and got the room steward to let him back into our cabin.

I got locked out on my balcony last month. I walked out and was sitting for about 5 mins and thought I heard the door make a noise. I got a shock as my husband wasn't there and I thought someone was in the cabin. I tried to open the door and it was locked. I absolutely freaked out as I thought someone had locked me out and was robbing our room. But there was definitely no one in there (unless they had walked straight back out after locking the door). After about an hour my husband came back and found me quite upset on the balcony. I really think there was no one in there, as we had cash around, I have no idea how it locked on it's own, we tried to re-enact it about 50 times, and discovered if the lever was just in the exact right position it could actually spring over and lock on it's own. I was traumatised by the experience, but the rest of my cruise was fantastic!!!

OP - good job you two! And kudo's to your DH :).

I got locked out on my balcony on the NCL Gem this past September. And I'm a solo cruiser...:eek:. It was a sea day & I woke up early and went out on the balcony to see the sunrise. After about 10 minutes I decided to go back into the cabin to get my camera...and the door wouldn't open. No one was on their balcony on either side of me, & looking down, left and right, I couldn't see anyone at their balcony railing that I could yell to.

After around another 20-25 minutes I heard the balcony door to my right slam shut & looked over to see a very elderly woman sitting with her back to me. I'm assuming she was very hard of hearing because she was non-responsive to my voice. When I spoke much louder the poor woman almost jumped out of her chair...I had really frightened her. She didn't say anything, but quickly went back into her cabin. Then her traveling companion, perhaps a daughter (?) came out & I explained my predicament, and asked her to call guest services.

Long story short...because I had double-locked my cabin door...the room steward couldn't open it. They had to call security to open it & let me back in. They were very apologetic, said that they would have a ship's carpenter come look at the balcony door, and sent a bottle of wine to my cabin later that day!

He actually climbed onto the chair, then while holding on to the balcony divider, climbed onto the railing, then somehow went overtop of the balcony divider. I had my eyes half closed at this point. Luckily, the neighbors chair was right where it needed to be. I guess he went over the top, felt for the rail, then down onto the chair on the other side. He used his Spidey sense.

As far as the tip goes, we left the auto tip on, and still gave the room steward $20 to split with the attendant.....Crazy, I know. But the room steward was really nice.

Oh, and before he climbed over the divider, I yelled like a maniac. We were close to the back of the ship, 2 rooms from the back, and tendered in Belize.

The engine kept making a lot of noise to keep the ship in position. Plus, mostly everyone was off the ship at the port. Having the ship to yourself is not always a

good thing.

Archived