advice for Mayan ruin trips for Jan. 8,2012 sailing on the Ryndam

mayaart

We are looking for advice on the best trip to take to the Mayan ruins while in Belize and which company would you recommend or use the ship tour. Xunantich, Lamanai and Altan Ha or Cal Pech? I am a big fan of Mayan culture and history but also love nature.

we went to Altan Ha via ship excursion. Road was very slow going but maybe things have changed. We are always afraid of not making it back on time and being stranded. Don't want to do that in Belize! We had never seen Mayan ruins before and were able to get to the top of a "pyramid" and had a knowledgeable guide. It is a very poor country but they were proud they had a Subway sub shop! Did you check the ports of call boards for Belize to see what others say??

We once did three Mayan ruins in three different ports on a 7 day cruise with 2 teenagers. It was exhausting and expensive, but I would do it again.

On another cruise, we had planned to do Altan Ha in Belize but the road got washed out the night before we arrived.

All of these were ship excursions. I agree with poster above - Belize is not where you want to miss the ship due to accident or other delay.

Archived