Anchorage to Seward??

ysr_racer

You basically have your choice of train, which can be booked through your cruise line or through Alaska Railroad, bus - cruise transfer, or rental car. If this is your first time I would suggest the train.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Big time drop off fees and high rental fee for one way. Probably close to $200 or more for one day. Train thru ARR is $59 one way, bus thru cruise line is about $50, and train thru cruiseline is $99. Very scenic drive, 125 miles, takes about 3-5 hrs depending on how many stops like Portage Glacier, Potter Marsh, plus things in Seward.

Thanks Susan,

I'm curious, why not use a rent a car? Any porblems?

No, no problems were improving the road to Seward all the time but there is only one company that works out of Seward and that's Hertz. Here's the link to their web site http://www.rentacaralaska.com/ and not sure how much a car would go for and if you've waited too long there won't be any.

Anchorage has been known to run out of cars and hotel rooms, though the hotel rooms is getting less with the big push we've had in the building of new ones the last 2-4 years.

Thanks for everybody's help. I found this and it looks like the way to go http://www.akrr.com/passenger/index.html

I'm think of getting to Anchorage a few days early, renting a car & seeing the sites then taking the train down to Seward. Then renting a car in Seward and going fishing in Soldotna, then starting our cruise.

Susan can you recommend a good guide book for Anchorage area?

Thanks, brad

The Alaska RR from Anchorage to Seward is $59/adult, and leaves A at 6:45AM arriving Seward 11:05 AM. I was told that the scenery from the train is superior to that seen from the road. The drawback to being on the train is that you can't stop along the way at points of interest. The advantage is that all parties can relax and take in the scenery without having to watch the road. Either way, the trip should be marvelous! We will be taking the train May 19th and are looking forward to it.

I have taken the train and driven many times. Scenery is superior via the rail. but the downside, no stopping. :) I do find a car convenient in Seward and most always have one.

YSR- consider more than a few days- with a week you can get to Denali park- a big highlight for most. My suggestion would be- from Anchorage- to drive to Cooper Landing for fishing then continue to Seward. Will make far better use of time- if you don't add enough days.

I was told by Hertz that they do not offer any one way rentals A to S.:( With cruise lines coming and going nearly everyday I can't imagine why.

vhord - I have a one way rental car with Hertz. I have a full size car. I pick it up on 6/2 from ANC and dropping it off in Seward on 6/3. The total cost is $168. They only allow a certain amount of one-way rentals (so all the ANC cars don't end up in Seward).

-Aaron

Susan can you recommend a good guide book for Anchorage area? Thanks, brad

Brad,

Head to http://www.anchorage.net/454.cfm and order the brochure from the Anchorage Convention & Visitor's Center, plus check out the site too, lots of information.

Another great book if you're planning to hit the roads for a while - is the Milepost http://www.themilepost.com/. I have one and get one every few years so it can be updated.

As you plan things, and have additional questions, please feel free to ask.

I have a one way rental car with Hertz. I have a full size car. I pick it up on 6/2 from ANC and dropping it off in Seward on 6/3. The total cost is $168. They only allow a certain amount of one-way rentals (so all the ANC cars don't end up in Seward).

-Aaron

I am glad that you were able to get one.:) I tried over a month ago and was turn down. Maybe it had something to do with the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon going on that weekend (June 17-18) in Anchorage. When I rented our room at the Ramada I was told there would be an additional 2000+ runners in town in addition to their families and the regular tourists.

It would still seem reasonable to think that any car rented in Anc and dropped off in Seward would have a good chance of being rented by an incoming passenger the next morning or the next and returned to Anc.:confused:

Archived