Does DW need professional help?

drivemecrazy

DH is the same way. Someone at work will ask him about his vacation plans (they know we have been cruising every year for the past few years). They ask him what ship..."I don't know"...what islands..."I don't know" all he knows is it is a Carnival ship. If it was up to him we would never leave the house for a vacation :( DS and myself do all of the planning and DH says he goes just to carry the luggage :p But once we leave the house he is the first one to say "did you remember to bring..." :mad:

You can always count on the folks here at CC to be as "normal" people should be. .

LOL, yeah, Normal, thats what we are...:eek:

Some would say different, but I agree, we are normal! It's everyone else thats Looney!

102 days to go, 2 days away from stage 3 planning kick off !

I'm the same way. Though I haven't reached the binder stage, I keep everything in a folder. I'm planning everything for our group of 8 and the others will ask questions every now and then, but that's it.

During halftime of the football game Sunday, we started talking about the cruise (or I did anyway), and I was surprised when my daughter's boyfriend "that's really good that you're researching all this stuff, because we would have no clue!"

Hubby will call me or e-mail me at work and ask "What ship are we on again?" or "Where are we going?" because someone in work has asked him and he has no idea!

LOL I do the same thing for our bunch they get off the ship and say what are we doing :eek: and which way , we had 2 extra last cruise i said I was going to get one of those flags like they carry at Disney world so they could all just follow along. :D

DH does exactly what your DW does. I think the best part about a cruise is the planning and anticipation. Enjoy every minute of being on this site. I know for me that once we get on board we have a fantastic time. Kepp enjoying the planning and anticipation about the trip.:)

Kaboochi......you are so right!!! We only cruise every other year and so we absolutely NEED to book early and have something to look forward to. We book about a year and a half in advance. Or more. When we get off of this next cruise, we will have our 2014 cruise booked probably within 3-4 months after departure. If we do not have a cruise to look forward to........what is the point of living?:p

I only with we could afford to go every year. Or, even 2-3 times a year like some I see on the threads. What a wonderful thing!!!

My DH is the same he says to me all the time that all I want to talk about is our cruise. Well yeah I do because I also like to have everything planned out. I book our next cruise within a month of coming home from our last one. And I right away start looking for airfare and hotels. I usually have the cruise, air and hotels booked before summer even starts and we don't cruise until January all the time.

I am POSITIVE that my husband doesn't know the name of our ship! We just booked a few weeks ago, and he refuses to discuss any excursions or anything. He says we will talk about it over Thanksgiving break. I have everything already planned in my head, I just need to sway him and let him think he had a little bit of say. I am sure once he starts looking, though, he will just tell me to book whatever!

I'm the same way. Though I haven't reached the binder stage, I keep everything in a folder. I'm planning everything for our group of 8 and the others will ask questions every now and then, but that's it.

quote]

I used to be the folder type - but IMO the binder is so much easier! I use just a simple 1" binder with tabbed sheets (headings like flights, hotel, shuttle, cruise, insurance, excursions, itinerary) Then in the front, I use one of those see through zippered pencil bags (3 holes for binder use) that I put our passports, luggage tags, pens, etc. in. I use an oversize "purse" as my personal item for flying and it fits in there nicely.

For me it is just so less frustrating than a folder. In a folder, I was always digging for the right paperwork and seemed to take so long and things would slide out. But with the binder, everything is 3 hole punched so all nice and snug. At the airport - flip to the flights and everything you need is right there. Go to the hotel, flip to the tab and confirmation right there. Time to call the shuttle, flip to the tab, #right there.

Yep, once you go binder...

Can you tell I am the planner? DH is like others mentioned here - clueless - except as he tells others "going to Miami, going on a cruise", details don't matter to him until the moment it arises.

HAHA. I attribute it to personality type. I just took a class on myers briggs personality type indicators- lol. I learned that I am a planner for sure. I like finality, I like to know what I am doing. Heck, if we are planning on going out to dinner Saturday, I not only want to know where we are going know I want to look over the menu and decide what I intend to eat. DH is the opposite. He doesn't plan, he goes with the flow. Last year we went on a land vacation to an AI in Mexico. If you asked me about it 6 months before we left, I could have told you the names of the restaurants, numbers of bars, location of the pools and what activities we were going to do. If you talked to DH, he could tell you that we were going to Mexico, but he wouldn't have remembered the name of the TOWN, much less the resort. In some ways I think its good when one member of each couple is the spontaneous one and the other is the planner, because not only would we drive each other crazy, but if DH actually took part in the planning, I couldn't control everything.

Oh and for our cruise, I pretty much have my dinner selections made. lol.

I lOVE the honesty!! Totally true :D. DH doesn't get excited until he's finished his last day of work before a vacation!! What cracks me up is that I do all the planning, and then after our trip, he ends up telling everyone about all the awesome things we did and talking about the places we went like he's the one who planned it and knows everything about it :rolleyes:!! At least I know he's had an awesome time :).--Katie

I'm the one who is on CC every day for months before the cruise, pick out what night to eat in the specialty restaurants based on each night's menu, plan private tours with other members of the roll call, and otherwise totally wallow in anticipation.

DH doesn't know or care cruiseline, ship or itinerary. He is, however, the one who is packed

two weeks early while I'm throwing things in 24 hours before the cruise.

I have a friend who cruises a couple of times a year. I always ask what ship and where and

she hasn't a clue. Last time I asked her after her cruise, and she thought they went to

St Maarten and St Thomas, wasn't sure, and swore she never knew the name of the ship.

I guess it's a case of to each his own, but I think my way is best!

This is a great thread! I'm definitely the planner/researcher, but I'm a middle brain personality. That's right, I'm an artist who likes spreadsheets! LOL:p

I do tons of research and planning, all with the intent that we can go with the flow when we get there. Planning on a water excursion but the weather is crap, no problem, I've got an indoor plan! Get stuck on the wrong side of Disney World with a hungry family, no problem, I know the cheapest, least crowded options in a 100 ft radius! Driving down i-95 and find out your tunnel is closed, no problem, I'll whip out my map and flashlight and find the quickest route around it. No, we don't have GPS, DH calls me his GPS! :cool:

Planning and research gets me through the waiting, then I can relax and do whatever we feel like when the time comes with no stress when "plans" don't work out!;)

Wow! I must be the luckiest type-A cruise planner wife in all the land! My DH is not the planner that I am, but at least he knows what ship, ports, etc. He is actually a logistical whiz and he knows what hotels are on what streets in which departure ports and enjoys looking at maps of ports before we arrive. He even asks (frequently) If I've "read anything good on the boards lately." He actually has opinions about things! Like which side of the ship he prefers (port because if we always book port he doesn't get turned around, like that one time we were on the starboard side), cabin type (at least an ocean view, but because it has a couch that he can sit on to watch TV while I do my hair), favorite ports (Grand Turk and HMC) and least favorites (anything Jamaica). He even knows the number of days till we sail once we hit the magic 100 number! He calls me his little travel agent and I get a phone call at least once a month from one of the guys he works with asking for advice about booking a cruise. They ask DH at work and he says, "You need to call my wife, she's the expert."

I have my 3-ring folder (Not quite a binder but it still allows me to have the pouch for passports and pens) all set up with our fun pass and luggage tags, deck plans and hotel reservations ready to go months before we sail! (And the pages are in order from what I'll need first to what we'll need last)

Hah..what timing! DH just sent me a text from work... 30 days!

That's all it said 30 days... Yay for 30 days... guess I better start packing :p

:)

And I think you're right! It's probably better we are paired with people who are spontaneous. Or who like to go along for the ride. I am not happy if I'm not planning a vacation---it keeps me (sort of) sane.

However, I always say, if I planned my career like I plan my vacations, I'd be successful. I guess we plan what we enjoy planning.

:pT. umph

This is totally me !!!! My DH and (2) DD think I am insane for being on CC discussing cruises. It keeps me sane as well.

I agree with you T. UMPH if I planned my career like my vacations, I too would be very successful. Glad to see I am not alone :)

So how many of you have started storing stuff in a room or on a table to take on your cruise?? This week I was gathering our snorkel gear and all the new stuff I got from amazon.com and laying it out in our breakfast nook. It's all nicely arranged in piles for each of the four of us. I even have one of those cool little jellyfish sting pens (like the Tide pens) in case we have a run in while snorkeling. I've selected our bags and suitcases and what shoes we'll be taking.

DH says this morning, what are you going to do with all this stuff when we have Thanksgiving at our house next week??

Wow... I have to move all this stuff??? :D

I keep our stuff organized on the spare room's bed. Our cruise isn't until April, and I just got a new waterproof pouch, and a new swimsuit in the mail today (hey! is was 85% off. Yay for swimsuit shopping in November!)

Have you ever used packing cubes? They are *amazing* for the obsessive early packer! They are the best invention I've ever found for making packing even more fun. What? Not everyone thinks packing is fun? Ours are colored coded by whose clothes they are, and what they are: my clothes are in the red ones, her clothes are in blue ones, and chargers, gadgets and shared items go in the green ones. Plus, they make packing to leave quick and easy, so it's not as depressing.

Where do you get the jellyfish sting pens? I think I need one!

I keep our stuff organized on the spare room's bed. Our cruise isn't until April, and I just got a new waterproof pouch, and a new swimsuit in the mail today (hey! is was 85% off. Yay for swimsuit shopping in November!)

Have you ever used packing cubes? They are *amazing* for the obsessive early packer! They are the best invention I've ever found for making packing even more fun. What? Not everyone thinks packing is fun? Ours are colored coded by whose clothes they are, and what they are: my clothes are in the red ones, her clothes are in blue ones, and chargers, gadgets and shared items go in the green ones. Plus, they make packing to leave quick and easy, so it's not as depressing.

Where do you get the jellyfish sting pens? I think I need one!

I do the same thing with packing cubes...lol. We have blue, burgundy, green and gray for each of us. I travel for work so ebags.com gets a lot of business from me. Funny thing about packing cubes... I posted a link regarding "Packing Light" and now I'm not sure I'm packing as efficiently as I could be. Check this out... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518560

Just search for jellyfish sting on amazon.com and they have numerous products. I got the pen to put in my snorkel bag.

I have worked so hard to learn to live one day at a time that it is now two weeks before our 14 day cruise and I have no idea if I am ready or not :eek:!

Not to worry about her. You do the planning and just tell her when to be ready. Just like my DH has done with me.

Archived