Does DW need professional help?

drivemecrazy

Here's my problem. When we book a cruise it's always at least a year away. I instantly begin looking at excursions, watch the port web cams, look on cruise critic EVERYDAY! I mean that's normal, right? After reading all the posts on here it seems like I'm a normal cruise person. Now my DW doesn't even want to talk about it until a month before. Now that's just not right. Should I seek help for her or is there a support group she can go to? Granted, our DD is getting married the month after we get back, but where are her priorities? Any suggestions would help a lot.

Same way with my DW, been booked for 6 months, have another 3 months to go before we sail, I've been here every day, and just last night she says to me...."Where are we going again, I don't remember" ! :eek:

I mean come on, it's our first back to back and she dosen't have every port memorized in order like I do?? It's been 6 months!!! Get with the program! ;)

Does not sound like it is a male or female thing-just two different styles-we on CC are the planners-the other halves are the ones that are glad they have a planner! Until...something goes wrong..and the planner gets the blame. Last night, we were talking about the tours and whalewatching. When I mentioned 12 people on our roll call were all going on the same boat and 4 more wanted to go-he was concerned that too many people would keep him from moving around on the boat. I explained to him that the boat we will be on is smaller and individual seats we have to stay in, as opposed to the boat we were on in Alaska for whalewatching where he could move all around for best picture taking. :mad:-my husband, so I sent him the link to look at the website for the whalewatching.

We are going on a South African safari in June, 2012 and when we did one in East Africa, we were inside a Landrover with an open top, so he could move around for best pics. The safari in 2012, we will have like a large open jeep with individual seats that we will have to stay in and not move around for good pics, because we will be just yards from wild animals and only thing stopping them will be the guy on the front of the jeep with a big ole rifle. As much as I like cruising, an African safari is the trip of a lifetime, if you can ever do one.

You're right about it not being a male or female thing. My DW is looking forward to our upcoming cruise, but hasn't yet reached the same level of anticipation or excitement that I've had since the day we booked our upcoming cruise. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that cruising is an addiction that some easily succumb to, while others seem to be immune to it. I think it's that deadly combination of having the sea spray in the air while drinking rum:D. Frequently going on line to read the CC boards, planning excursions and making a list of what to take waaay in advance (is 349 days from sail date too soon?), looking at the cruise ship's menus, and constantly looking for photos or videos of the ship on line are all signs of being addicted. Sadly, there is no known cure:(. Thank goodness we have loving and supportive spouses!!:D:D

I wish my hubby would travel with me :mad:

He won't even leave the town we live in. I take my daughter everywhere I go or I would be stuck in town as well.

I am also the planner type. My daughter made fun of me on our first cruise for all the planning I did but after the cruise she turned and said "mom, I'm so glad that you took all that time planning our first cruise. You made this a trip I will never forget."

So here I am again, planning yet another trip she'll hopefully never forget.

Part of me really wishes my husband would join us! (part of me really enjoys the "mommy and me" time. That's what we call it)

My family is the same way, I'm like you "the planner". I planned a wonderful cruise and even saw a few smiles from my 14-year old and when people asked if she had fun on vacation, she enthusiatically said "YES!" Even my oldest college-aged daughter told me numerous times during the week that this is the best vacation we ever went on. DH stayed home, when I booked he said "I don't like cruises". Ok, well, you stay home and pet sit. About 2 weeks before we were to leave someone asked me where we were going, then DH pipes in and says "I want to visit those places, too, I can get someone to pet sit!" No dear, I'm not spending twice the amount of money I'm paying for the 3 of us for just YOU at this point. Sheesh.

So when we returned from the last trip, the kids enthusiastically told him how much fun they had and they want to do it again next year and asked if he would go with us. He said, Yes. BUT everyone thinks we are going on the same cruise again but I'm planning the Victory to the Southern Carribbean so I hope no one in the family minds. :p Hey, I'm the planner, I get to pick, right!?!? :p

Planning a cruise for October 2013. No seriously.... Really. There are some things he cares about. He wants to go to Belize and Grand Cayman. He has to go the steakhouse atleast once. If we sail from Miami the first time he wants to stay in South Beach. Kinda as a bucket list thing. Not only does he want to stay in SoBe, it has to be oceanfront.

So I need to plan. I am already calculating if I have enough points on my reward card to help with the astronomical hotel costs. Where we are going to eat? I have pdf menus printed out from the nearby restaurants, so that I can budget for the extra costs for the expensive menus in SoBe.

I already have a budget worked out by activity and time line, with different color high lighters for whether the item can be prepaid, needs to be paid for onboard or in cash.

I am anal, I know it but DH is different. On our first cruise out of FLL, we stayed at what was then the Marina Marriott. They had a pre-cruise package that included buffet breakfast. Waitress asked DH what room number our bill should be charged to...DH couldn't remember. I can still remember we were in room 1214. Then, I asked him, if you can't remember what room we were in, what is our cabin number? We were getting on the ship in a couple of hours and the man didn't know our cabin number!? I told him I was going to get him a sign to hang around his neck-If found, please return to Cabin D525. It was a mini-suite on the Caribbean Princess.

Just shows you-I plan everything to the Nth degree, and he just goes with the flow.

I wish my hubby would travel with me :mad:

He won't even leave the town we live in. I take my daughter everywhere I go or I would be stuck in town as well.

I am also the planner type. My daughter made fun of me on our first cruise for all the planning I did but after the cruise she turned and said "mom, I'm so glad that you took all that time planning our first cruise. You made this a trip I will never forget."

So here I am again, planning yet another trip she'll hopefully never forget.

Part of me really wishes my husband would join us! (part of me really enjoys the "mommy and me" time. That's what we call it)

Wow I would hate that , even though my DW works a lot which is kind of a pain , but it is what it is , we love to travel together and do all sorts of things together , actually drives our friends crazy there like man how do you two stand each other after all these years lol.

HAHA. I attribute it to personality type. I just took a class on myers briggs personality type indicators- lol. I learned that I am a planner for sure. I like finality, I like to know what I am doing. Heck, if we are planning on going out to dinner Saturday, I not only want to know where we are going know I want to look over the menu and decide what I intend to eat. DH is the opposite. He doesn't plan, he goes with the flow. Last year we went on a land vacation to an AI in Mexico. If you asked me about it 6 months before we left, I could have told you the names of the restaurants, numbers of bars, location of the pools and what activities we were going to do. If you talked to DH, he could tell you that we were going to Mexico, but he wouldn't have remembered the name of the TOWN, much less the resort. In some ways I think its good when one member of each couple is the spontaneous one and the other is the planner, because not only would we drive each other crazy, but if DH actually took part in the planning, I couldn't control everything.

Oh and for our cruise, I pretty much have my dinner selections made. lol.

This describes me, The Planner, and my DH, The Non Planner to a tee! Which is the way I like it. I love, love to plan!

Traveling makes me extremely anxious. I get through it by simply pretending I'm not going, right up to the last minute. I still make the reservations and whatnot, but then I put it out of my mind, until I can't anymore because it's time to go.

If DH or anyone else tries to talk about it, I just say "Do you want to see me vomit?" That shuts them right up.

I am the planner in the family, too. The one (and only!) vacation I let DH "plan" ended up with no planning at all. DC the week between Christmas and New Year's... I felt like we were wandering around the city for 5 days. Many sites closed and colder than any place I have ever been!! So I plan all the vacations now, and we (or at least I) have a much better time, and I know what to expect. :D

I keep giving DH the countdown until our cruise and he has started rolling his eyes at me...

I have discovered that my 11 year old son is like me! We love looking at excursions, looking at our ports on Google Live Earth, and planning! He hasn't even gone on his first cruise yet, and is begging me to book another!

My husband and daughter don't want to know anything. DD wants everything to be a surprise, and DH will think about it when it's time to pack.

Here's my problem. When we book a cruise it's always at least a year away. I instantly begin looking at excursions, watch the port web cams, look on cruise critic EVERYDAY! I mean that's normal, right? After reading all the posts on here it seems like I'm a normal cruise person. Now my DW doesn't even want to talk about it until a month before. Now that's just not right. Should I seek help for her or is there a support group she can go to? Granted, our DD is getting married the month after we get back, but where are her priorities? Any suggestions would help a lot.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!

My wife doesn't even want to talk about it :( We are like 9 DAYS AWAY from our cruise, and she says if I constantly talk about it that I take away the excietment from her??

What am I suppose to do????????

Help!

I have discovered that my 11 year old son is like me! We love looking at excursions, looking at our ports on Google Live Earth, and planning! He hasn't even gone on his first cruise yet, and is begging me to book another!

My husband and daughter don't want to know anything. DD wants everything to be a surprise, and DH will think about it when it's time to pack.

I do that with my kids. I booked Mr. Sanchos AI in Cozumel and did'nt' ask them. In Belize, I asked if they wanted to visit the ruins or cave tubing. They said, "Ew, I don't want to be in dark water in very dark cave with bats" so I booked the Ruins. In Roatan, I asked if they wanted to snorkel at the beach or relax at the beach next to the ship. They said "Ew, we don't want to swim next to the ship" (Mohagany Bay), so I booked Tabyana. For Grand Cayman, I said "do you want to take a boat to see the stingrays or a waverunner". They said "We want to ride a jetski", so I booked the waverunners. :p

As far as DH, he will just go on excursions with us. He won't get a choice, he's not as adventurous as me and my girls are. I will find an excursion one day that has deep sea fishing and ask, "Do you want to go to the Pitons and snorkel or go deep sea fishing". I usualy scour all the excursions and pick two I think the family will enjoy and that's the two they get to choose from.

If they wanted to know what else is available, they could always ask me but no one in the family asks and if it were up to them, we'd be booking excursions the night before we pull into port and choose from whatever is left.

I have the same problem with DH. I give him daily countdowns, and he adds 7 days to it and says that then it will be over! What a brat! He seems more excited this time though, because he's working more hours.

One thing I'll give him credit for, I can show him a port or the inside of a ship we've been on, and he can usually name it.

Sewut

I do that with my kids. I booked Mr. Sanchos AI in Cozumel and did'nt' ask them. In Belize, I asked if they wanted to visit the ruins or cave tubing. They said, "Ew, I don't want to be in dark water in very dark cave with bats" so I booked the Ruins. In Roatan, I asked if they wanted to snorkel at the beach or relax at the beach next to the ship. They said "Ew, we don't want to swim next to the ship" (Mohagany Bay), so I booked Tabyana. For Grand Cayman, I said "do you want to take a boat to see the stingrays or a waverunner". They said "We want to ride a jetski", so I booked the waverunners. :p

As far as DH, he will just go on excursions with us. He won't get a choice, he's not as adventurous as me and my girls are. I will find an excursion one day that has deep sea fishing and ask, "Do you want to go to the Pitons and snorkel or go deep sea fishing". I usualy scour all the excursions and pick two I think the family will enjoy and that's the two they get to choose from.

If they wanted to know what else is available, they could always ask me but no one in the family asks and if it were up to them, we'd be booking excursions the night before we pull into port and choose from whatever is left.

Giving them a choice of 2 excursions is a great idea! Noticed that you just came off the Liberty. Would appreciate any thoughts you had about your cruise :)

Thats why we have CC :D for us cruise nuts that have spouses that are not as crazy as we are , I just wish I had few of you people on my roll call:)

I think we need to start a Random roll call somewhere for slow roll calls so we can talk about our upcoming cruises with people with upcoming cruise.

I'm the same way. Though I haven't reached the binder stage, I keep everything in a folder. I'm planning everything for our group of 8 and the others will ask questions every now and then, but that's it.

During halftime of the football game Sunday, we started talking about the cruise (or I did anyway), and I was surprised when my daughter's boyfriend "that's really good that you're researching all this stuff, because we would have no clue!"

Hubby will call me or e-mail me at work and ask "What ship are we on again?" or "Where are we going?" because someone in work has asked him and he has no idea!

HAHA. I attribute it to personality type. I just took a class on myers briggs personality type indicators- lol. I learned that I am a planner for sure. I like finality, I like to know what I am doing. Heck, if we are planning on going out to dinner Saturday, I not only want to know where we are going know I want to look over the menu and decide what I intend to eat. DH is the opposite. He doesn't plan, he goes with the flow. Last year we went on a land vacation to an AI in Mexico. If you asked me about it 6 months before we left, I could have told you the names of the restaurants, numbers of bars, location of the pools and what activities we were going to do. If you talked to DH, he could tell you that we were going to Mexico, but he wouldn't have remembered the name of the TOWN, much less the resort. In some ways I think its good when one member of each couple is the spontaneous one and the other is the planner, because not only would we drive each other crazy, but if DH actually took part in the planning, I couldn't control everything.

Oh and for our cruise, I pretty much have my dinner selections made. lol.

LOL...this is SO ME!!! I'm a very strong ENTP by the way and DH is an ISFJ. He's just not all that excitable. He laughs at me for all the planning I do; it's the research part of my personality I can't let go. I know exactly where to walk into the water for the best beach snorkeling; what's on the menu at the steakhouse etc. Last night I sent him a link to some information on Belize and he didn't open it because he wanted to be surprised. WHAT???? Yeah, that is insane. He says, don't worry, we'll just relax on the beach. I'm like, do you realize there isn't a beach on Belize to relax on??? But I know where to find one! Thank goodness for CC and other folks with OCD! :D

Not only can I not get DH to look at Cruise Critic, my SIL and her DH that we travel with won't look at it either! Everyone just kind of goes along with whatever I decide as far as excursions, etc. I have it all planned, in a folder months before we go. This is what happened last year on our cruise to Alaska, and is happening for our Caribbean cruise coming up in February 2012! I email them interesting items from this board, like the info on the tips increasing - no reply! I can't imagine going on a cruise and not knowing what to expect. I was looking at the ship's menus on here the other day planning what I'll have for dinner each night. I'm so glad to have this board with other people like me.

I am pretty sure DH doesn't know what ship we are on and I know he doesn't know the ports because he will ask me about it when someone asks him. I have told him 100 times but he forgets. I am almost certain her knows we are going on Carnival because we have a FCC from carnival for our last cruise (and its the only cruise line he knows about). And I know he knows we are leaving from NOLA because we are driving so we have talked extensively about it. Beyond that he does not have a clue. The other day for the 10th time he asked me about where we were going because someone asked him and he said the only place I know we are going is the Bahamas. Lol. No we aren't. Then when I tell him where we are going, he says that Jamaica was his favorite port from our last cruise. I am not sure when that was considering his only cruise was Eastern Caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin). Oh and he knows were are in an OV because he knows I want a balcony, I always talk about upgrading to one and he has put the brakes on that, unless prices go down. He is pretty much the type that needs to know when to pack, what to pack and where to drive. The rest, he will trust my judgment. As long as its nice weather, not too expensive and they have cold beer, he will have fun wherever and on whatever excursion we do!

So how many of you have started storing stuff in a room or on a table to take on your cruise?? This week I was gathering our snorkel gear and all the new stuff I got from amazon.com and laying it out in our breakfast nook. It's all nicely arranged in piles for each of the four of us. I even have one of those cool little jellyfish sting pens (like the Tide pens) in case we have a run in while snorkeling. I've selected our bags and suitcases and what shoes we'll be taking.

DH says this morning, what are you going to do with all this stuff when we have Thanksgiving at our house next week??

Wow... I have to move all this stuff??? :D

Archived